Questions about traveling with a pet?

Contact | Email | Facebook

Italy Pet Passport & Import Regulations

Italy Flag

There will be no quarantine imposed on your pet as long as the following requirements are met. Unless otherwise stated, the regulations below apply to domestic dogs, cats and ferrets including service and emotional support dogs and cats. Owners of other pets should refer to item 11.

For owners of pets entering or returning to the European Union (EU) from the United Kingdom (UK): as of March 28, 2019, if there is no ratified deal between the UK and EU and, if the UK defaults as a non-listed (high-rabies) country, then a titer test will be required a minimum of 3 calendar months in advance of travel to any EU-Member State. (see step #3) Your pet will also need an EU health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian within 10 days of travel (see step #5). Your pet will need to enter the EU at an approved Border Inspection Post.
For owners of pets returning to the UK from the EU, your pet will need either an existing EU pet passport (both for UK and EU citizens) or the EU health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU.

Pet Microchip

pet microchip

The first step to prepare your dog, cat or ferret to enter Italy is to have your pet microchipped with an ISO 11784/11785 compliant 15 digit pet microchip.

If your pet currently has a microchip that is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, then you have 3 choices:

  • You can bring your own microchip scanner.
  • You can contact the officials at the Border Inspection Post where you will enter the EU and inquire as to whether they have scanners that can read your pet's chip.
  • If your pet's current microchip can still be read, your veterinarian can implant compliant chip. The number and implant dates of both microchips must be documented on the EU Health Certificate (see step #5).
  • A tattoo is an acceptable form of identification as long as it was given prior to July 3, 2011, is clearly visible and your pet was vaccinated for rabies after the tattoo was applied.

Crates, carriers, passports, microchips and more at




pet rabies vaccination

If your pet is entering Italy from a rabies-free (click here) or rabies-controlled country (click here), it will need proof of a current rabies vaccination that was administered after the microchip was implanted.

If this is your pet's first vaccination after microchipping, it will need to wait for 21 days before traveling. There is no waiting period after boosters as long as:

  • the previous vaccination was administered after a microchip was implanted AND
  • the previous vaccination had not expired when the booster was given.

Italy does honor the 3 year rabies vaccination for dogs, cats and ferrets; however, it should only be administered as a booster unless specified by the manufacturer. You can speak to your veterinarian about this.

Once your pet has entered Italy, a 21 day waiting period is not required for subsequent visits, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date, and the other entry requirements are met.

Find a pet friendly hotel at



Rabies Titer Test

Rabies Titer Test

If your pet is entering Italy from a high-rabies country (click here), your pet must be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order). After waiting 30 days, a rabies titer test (FAVN) must be administered. (Have your veterinarian scan your pet's microchip prior to the titer test.)

Samples must be processed at approved laboratories. Assuming test results are within acceptable limits, your pet can enter Italy no sooner than 3 calendar months after the date the blood was drawn and avoid quarantine. This step is not required unless entering Italy from a high-rabies country (click here).

Pet Insurance by Pet Plan


Pet Travel Transport can assist you with all services involved in safe transport of your pet



Tapeworm Treatment - Dogs Only

tapeworm treatment

A tapeworm treatment is not required when entering Italy from any country.


Health Certificate

pet health certificate

The type of health certificate required for your pet depends on whether or not your pet's transport is accompanied OR it involves a purchase, sale or transfer of ownership. Choose from two options below.

Non-Commercial Transport: the owner or a legal representative of the owner is traveling with or within 5 days of the pet AND the transport does not involve purchase, sale or transfer of ownership.
Non-Commercial Transport to Italy from a country outside of the EU:

Regulations in steps 1 and 2 apply. If entering Austria from a high-rabies country, step 3 applies as well.

A licensed veterinarian in the originating country must complete the non-commercial EU health certificate for Italy within 10 days of travel. If your pet is traveling from the United States, the veterinarian must be accredited by the USDA and the health certificate must be endorsed by the State USDA office unless the certificate is completed by a military Veterinary Corps Officer or GS-0701 series civilian government veterinarian employed by the military.

The CFIA must endorse forms issued by Canadian veterinarians.

If traveling to Italy from another country, then the forms must be endorsed by the government agency responsible for the import and export of animals.

This form is good for transports of 5 or less dogs, cats or ferrets. (see item 6 if you are traveling with more than 5 pets.) The form is good for 4 months of travel within the EU as long as the rabies vaccination documented on it does not expire.

Non-Commercial Transport to Italy from another EU Member State:

Regulations in steps 1 and 2 apply.

Have your veterinarian update an EU Pet Passport for your pet. An EU health certificate is not required for pets traveling to Austria from another EU Member State unless a rabies booster was administered by a veterinarian outside of the EU at any time after your pet received its microchip.

No matter what country you are entering Italy from, you or your representative must sign a Declaration of Non-Commercial Transport stating that your pet's transport does not involve the sale or transfer of ownership of your pet.

Commercial Transport: the owner or a legal representative of the owner is not traveling with or within 5 days of the pet OR the purpose of the transport involves a sale or transfer of ownership OR more than 5 dogs, cats or ferrets are traveling with or without their owner.
Commercial pet transport to Italy from a rabies-free or rabies-controlled country outside the EU:

Regulations in steps 1 and 2 apply. Step 3 does not apply.

A licensed veterinarian must complete the commercial EU health certificate for Italy within 48 hours of entry. If your pet is traveling from the United States or Canada, the veterinarian must be accredited by the USDA or CFIA respectively and the non-commercial EU health certificate must be endorsed by the local USDA (United States) or CFIA (Canada) office. This form is good for transports of 5 or less animals. (see item 6 for transports of more than 5 pets.)

Your pet must enter through an approved Border Inspection Post. Notice must be given 24 hours prior to arrival. 

All dogs must be vaccinated against distemper.

Commercial Transport to Italy from high-rabies countries outside the EU:

Dogs, cats and ferrets can only enter Italy from these high-rabies countries. Pets must conform to all rules above and also have a titer test according to step 3 above.

Commercial pet transport to Italy from another EU Member State:

Regulations in steps 1 and 2 apply.

Your pet must travel from a licensed premises which is registered with the governing authority in your EU country responsible for the import and export of animals.

Your veterinarian must obtain and update an EU Pet Passport for your pet.

Your pet's veterinarian must issue an Intratrade health certificate completed within 48 hours of entry.

Your pet's transport must be entered into the TRACES system.


Traveling with more than 5 pets

exporting more than 5 dogs or cats from Italy

If you are traveling with 6 or more cats, dogs or ferrets, in order to transport them under non-commercial regulations, they must be 6 months or older and attending or training for a competition, show or sporting event. If this is not the case, your pets must meet the requirements for commercial transport. (see step #5)


Entering Italy by Air


Unaccompanied pets or those entering Italy from a non-EU Member State or Andorra, Switzerland, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, or Vatican City State must enter Italy by air at international airports in Bologna, Milan, Pisa, Turin or Rome. Pets traveling with their owners or designated representatives can enter at Venice.

Pets should enter Italy directly or transit through another EU Member State. If your pet transits through a high-rabies country, then a Transit Declaration will be required stating that your pet has had no contact with rabies-carrying animals and remained secured within the airplane or airport.

All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Italy. If your pet is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.


Puppies and Kittens

Italy puppy or kitten import

Non-vaccinated puppies, kittens and ferrets are not permitted to enter Italy from any country or EU Member State. Rabies vaccinations must not be administered prior to 12 weeks of age. The youngest age a puppy or kitten can enter Italy is 3 months and 22 days.


Banned Breeds

Banned Dogs in Italy

Italy restricts the import of the following breeds: Rottweiler, Doberman Pinscher (Venice only).


Exporting Cats and Dogs from Italy

export pets from Italy

All dogs, cats and ferrets leaving Italy must be microchipped, vaccinated for rabies (in that order) and wait 21 days before leaving Italy.  If you are planning to take your pet on a trip to a high-rabies country, your veterinarian should do a Blood Titer Test before you leave Italy if you intend to return.


Other Animals

rabbits turtles other animals

Birds, (small birds with the exception of parrots, see below), dogs, cats, fish (small), common frogs, common reptiles, rodents, rabbits, common lizards and green lizards, sugar gliders and small turtles may be imported to Italy from another EU or rabies-controlled country if the following conditions are met:

  • Not more than 5 animals accompanied by their owner
  • Animals are transported in a compliant pet carrier that ensures their safety.
  • Animals will be accompanied by an international health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian within 48 hours of entry. The certificate must include: description of the animal, the animal's owner and source and destination address.

Pet birds may enter Italy only at Milan Malpensa Airport or Rome Fiumicino Airports. Notice must be given in advance of arrival. Up to 5 birds are permitted as long as they are accompanied by a sanitary certificate.

Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.



CITES endangered turtle

If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a turtle or parrot, you should verify that it is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). You will need to apply for additional permits if this is the case. Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITES regulations. .


Need More Assistance?

Have a question about traveling with your pet?

To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given country may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the need to make arrangements to put your pet into quarantine at your expense, return your pet to the country of origin, or euthanize your pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.

Further detail on import permits, costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping Monday through Friday until 4:00 PM EST.



Due to the high demand, we may be unable to respond to your  question quickly if posted below. If you need a fast response, you can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, or forum. We will respond as soon as we can.

Please note that the accuracy of comments made from Facebook users other than Pet Travel have not been verified. We do not endorse any person or company that may offer transport services through posts to this webpage.