Questions about traveling with a pet?

Contact | Email | Facebook

Mexico Pet Passport & Import Regulations

Mexico Flag

Regulations below are applicable for dogs and cats entering Mexico including service and emotional support animals. Owners of other animals should proceed to step #11.


Pet Microchip

pet microchip

Mexico does not require a microchip, but it is always recommended that your pet be identified with a 15-digit ISO 11874/11785 compliant pet microchip when traveling internationally.

The microchip should be implanted by your veterinarian, veterinary hospital or trained nurse. You should receive documentation as to the manufacturer of the microchip and instructions on how to register your pet's information in the manufacturer database.

If your pet does not have a registered microchip, make sure your pets are wearing tags that identify them which include contact information for the owner.

Crates, carriers, passports, microchips and more at


More information on pet transport to Mexico




pet rabies vaccination

Pets entering Mexico from countries other than the United States and Canada should have proof of current vaccination against rabies.

All details about the rabies vaccine must be on the health certificate. If your dog or cat is originally from Mexico (rather than the US or Canada), and your pet has been vaccinated in Mexico with a 1-year vaccine (which is standard), you are required to show the Mexican booklet you received from your Mexican veterinarian indicating the original vaccine date. In all cases, the rabies vaccination must not have expired.

Dogs may also be vaccinated for: Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parvovirus and Parainfluenza and cats may also be vaccinated for: Feline panleukopenia (Distemper): Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Leukemia. These are recommended vaccinations only.

Kittens and puppies under the age of 3 months are exempt from the rabies vaccination requirement.

airine pet policies


Private Jet Charter is a lifetime experience for you and your pet



Rabies Titer Test

rabies titer test

A rabies titer test is not required to enter Mexico from any country.

Pet Travel Transport can help get your pet there comfortably and safely.


Get a free qoute to transport your pet.



Internal and External Parasite Treatment


Within 6 months of entering Mexico, your dog or cat must have be treated against internal and external parasites by a licensed veterinarian. Cats and dogs must have treatments for ticks shortly prior to entering the country. All pets will be inspected for fleas and ticks when entering Mexico. Should any parasites be found, your pet will be held at the medical office.

Any dogs or cats undergoing treatments for skin disorders should bring documentation on veterinary letterhead specifying condition and treatment.

Tick-borne infections such as ehrlichiosis are not unusual in the country, so it is wise to protect your pet.

Pet passports - other countries



Pet Health Certificate

pet health certificate

When traveling Mexico from either the United States or Canada, a health certificate is not required unless your airline requires it. Your dog or cat will be inspected upon arrival to Mexico.

If your pet is traveling to Mexico from another country, a licensed veterinarian in the origination country must issue a pet health certificate within 15 days of travel. The health certificate must be typed or autofilled online.


Other Information

pet passport forms

If you are transporting one to three pets, the Animal Health Import Certificate process is free of charge. If you are importing four or more pets, the fee of the Import Certificate would be $1,882.22 pesos (this amount may vary in conformance with the Federal Tax Law). Additionally, you must use a customs agent in Mexico to obtain the permit for you and to handle the entry of your animals.

Mexico has launched a new Frequent Travel Program for Pets program. The registration requirements include filling out an application, attaching a health certificate issued by a Senasica-authorized vet and providing records of a current rabies vaccination and treatment against ectoparasites and endoparasites.

The document can be obtained at Agricultural Sanitation Inspection offices located at airports in Cancún, Guadalajara, Querétaro, Zihuatanejo, Toluca and Mazatlán.

Applications can also be made in both terminals of the Mexico City International Airport and at the Senasica central offices, also in Mexico City. The program is free.

Only amounts of pet food that will be needed to feed your pet on arrival are permitted. Larger cities will have big grocery stores (Gigante, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club) that do stock a variety of pet foods, but that may not always be the case in smaller locales.


Entering Mexico by Air


There are multiple international airports in Mexico where pets can enter the country.

All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Mexico. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.


Puppies and Kittens

Mexico puppy or kitten import

As puppies and kittens that are not yet 3 months old should not be vaccinated for rabies. They may enter Mexico without rabies vaccination.


Banned Breeds

Banned Dogs in Mexico

Mexico does not ban breeds; however, some cities do. Visitors to these cities will be responsible for their pet's behavior.


Exporting Resident Dogs and Cats from Mexico

export pets from Mexico

Pets must have an Animal Health Certificate for Export (CZE) issued for all destination countries except the United States, Canada and the European Union.

When traveling to the United States, a rabies certificate is recommended and it is required for dogs and cats over 3 months traveling to Canada.

When traveling to the European Union, an EU health certificate must be issued by a licensed vet and endorsed by a government veterinarian within 10 days of travel.

If your pet is leaving Mexico, then you should have all further documentation required for your destination country available.


Other Animals

rabbits turtles other animals

Non-CITES birds are permitted to enter Mexico from areas that have not had Avian Influenza incidents. Owners of birds may want to contact veterinary authorities in their originating country for additional information.

Domesticated rabbits can enter Mexico with their owners with a current health certificate (see above) and proof of rabies vaccination.

Invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Mexico Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.



CITES endangered turtle

If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a turtle or parrot, you should verify that it is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). Mexico is currently not accepting any permits for live birds or animals protected by CITES regulations.


Need More Assistance?

Have a question about traveling with your pet?

To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given country may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the need to make arrangements to put your pet into quarantine at your expense, return your pet to the country of origin, or euthanize your pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.

Further detail on permits, certificates, costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at under Pet Passports. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping Monday through Friday until 2:00 PM EST.



Due to the high demand, we may be unable to respond to your  question quickly if posted below. If you need a fast response, you can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, or forum. We will respond as soon as we can.

Please note that the accuracy of comments made from Facebook users other than Pet Travel have not been verified. We do not endorse any person or company that may offer transport services through posts to this webpage.