Anek Lines Ferry Pet Policy
Routes & Pet Policies
Piraeus, Greece - Chania, Greece
Piraeus, Greece - to Heraklio, Greece
Cyclades, Greece - Dodecanese, Greece
Piraeus, Greece - Chios, Greece - Mytilene, Greece
Mytilene, Greece - Limnos, Greece, - Thessaloniki, Greece
Igoumenitsa, Greece - Ancona, Italy - Venice, Italy
Padras, Greece - Igomenitsa, Greece -Venice, Italy
Corfu, Greece - Venice, Italy
Anek Lines accepts the carriage of pet animals and has a limited number of cabins and kennels in which the pet will be allowed. It is necessary to make a reservation for your pet in advance.
Pets must travel with their owners or a designated representative of the owner. Pet owners or representatives are responsible for the care and feeding of their pet.There is no charge for transporting your pet.
Pets travel in a designated area of the ship and are not allowed in automobiles, cabins, bars or restaurants.
It will be necessary that you have the proper documents to travel on Anek Lines with your pet. If you are not an EU resident and your dog or cat does not have an EU Pet Passport, Anek Ferry Line will need to see an endorsed EU Health Certificate. If you are an EU resident, an EU Pet Passport is necessary.
Your cat or dog must have a rabies vaccination certificate reflecting current vaccination which was administered after a microchip was implanted.
Anek Lines does not allow pets to travel in automobiles and has a limited number of kennels available.
Click here to learn about compliant pet crates
Click here to find the best size crate for your pet.
Cold Weather Restrictions
When the weather is very cold, Anek Lines may not be able to accommodate your pet in one of the pet crates located on the deck of the ship. Know that temperatures in your car will be chilly and cold weather restrictions are made for the safety of your pet. Be sure and dress your pet accordingly and leave blankets for warmth.
Tips for Traveling on a Ferry with Your Pet
1. Make your reservations early. Pet friendly cabins and kennels, if available, are in great demand and book up quickly.
2. Arrive at the dock in plenty of time to check in your pet.
3. Walk and exercise your pet before boarding.
4. Bring portable water and food bowls as you will be responsible for the care of your pet.
5. Bring a muzzle and a sturdy leash as these things will be needed to walk your pet.
6. Never give your pet a medical (prescription) sedative prior to traveling on a ferry or cruise ship. If you have a hyper or nervous pet, then give it an all-natural calmer.
7. Always purchase your pet carrier well in advance of your trip and encourage your pet to use it so that your pet can get used to it.
8. Be sure to tell the cruise or ferry line you will be traveling with a pet as they impose restrictions on the number of pets on a specific sailing.
9. Do not try to sneak your pet to your cabin or any areas of the ferry where they are not allowed. Be a responsible pet owner and follow the pet policies of the ferry.
10. Even though sea travel may be stressful both you and your pet, both of you will be happier if your pet gets to travel with you on your trip.
If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a turtle or parrot, and you are leaving your country on a ferry, you should verify that it is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). You will need to apply for additional permits if this is the case. Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITES regulations.
Need More Assistance?
To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on PetTravel.com reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given ferry may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the ferry refusing to board your pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.
Further detail on import permits, costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at PetTravelStore.com. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping Monday through Friday until 4:00 PM EST.
HAVE QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS???
You can post questions directly to our Facebook page, blog, or forum or email us at [email protected]. We will respond as soon as we can.