Pet Passport Iceland
REGULATIONS FOR TAKING A PET DOG OR CAT TO
QUARANTINE: All live animals entering Iceland are quarantined for a period of 4 weeks.
Instructions for importing dogs and cats to Iceland:
- A special Import Permit by the Ministry of Agriculture is required to enter Iceland with a pet. This permit is valid for a period of one year.
- Your dog or cat must be microchipped with a 15 digit ISO pet microchip and vaccinated at least 30 days but not more than 12 months prior to entry to Iceland.
- If your dog or cat is entering Iceland from a country other than Australia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Great Britain, Hawaii, Ireland, Japan, New-Zealand, Norway (Svalbard not included) or Sweden, it will need a Blood Titer Test at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination.
- Within 10 days of travel, the Iceland Veterinary Certificate of Health and Origin is completed. Although it is not required, we recommend that a USDA or CFIA licensed veterinarian complete the form and you have it endorsed by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada.
- A copy of the Rabies Certificate should also be included.
- A Tapeworm test is required of dogs within 10 days of arriving in Iceland. This completes your cat or dog passport to Iceland.
For more detailed instructions and forms to create a pet passport to take your pet to Iceland, click on the button below.
Banned Breeds: Some dangerous dog breeds are prohibited from entering Iceland.
They include: American Pitt Bull Terrier, TosaInu, Dogo Argentino (Argentine Mastiff) and Fila Brasileiro (Brazillian Mastiff).
Puppies and kittens: if entering Iceland from countries which Iceland considers to be rabies-free, puppies and kittens can enter at the age of 5 months. If entering from any other country, the minimum age is 7 months.
Countries without rabies (dogs and cats who have remained in a country without rabies 6 months prior to importation) do not have to be vaccinated against rabies: Australia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Great Britain, Hawaii, Ireland, Japan, New-Zealand, Norway (Svalbard not included), Sweden.
The District Veterinarian inspects all pets at the Airport of Entry upon arrival to Iceland and ascertains that they do not have any symptoms of infectious diseases, that Import Permits, all required Certificates and a positive comment from the Chief Veterinary Officer of Iceland are on hand.
The dog/cat must be transported from the country of export to Iceland without coming in contact with other animals. If the dog/cat comes from a country without rabies, transport through a country with rabies is not permitted unless the dog/cat remains in the international zone of the airport.
Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet may be refused entry and the relevant authority in consultation with an authorized veterinarian can decide to return the pet home, at the expense of the owner or natural person responsible for pet, or as a last resort, without financial compensation, put the pet down where the return trip home or quarantine cannot be arranged.
All other pets (birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits) are not subject to the regulations in respect of the anti-rabies vaccination but may have to meet other requirements and have a health certificate to accompany them. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.
If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a
turtle or parrot, you should verify that
it is not protected under the
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna
and Flora (CITES). You will need to apply for additional permits
if this is the case. Search their database.
Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITES regulations. Read more about CITES.
Find Veterinary Certificates for countries worldwide.
ISO pet microchip, for traveling to Iceland.
The information published here is a guideline for pet owners importing their pet to Iceland. Further detail on import permits (if applicable), costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at PetTravelStore.com if you need them. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping until 4:00 PM EST.
GOT QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS??? Due to the high demand, we may be unable to respond to your question quickly if posted below. If you need a fast response, you can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, or forum. We will respond as soon as we can.
Please note that the accuracy of comments made from Facebook users other than Pet Travel have not been verified. We do not endorse any person or company that may offer transport services through posts to this webpage.