Tweet Pet Travel Pet Travel Forum Pet Travel Blog Pet Travel on Facebook


Pet Travel Blog

Pet Passport
Have a question or concern? Reach out to others who have taken your journey with their pet for advice. Just gone to a fabulous place with your pet? Let us all know about it.

To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given country may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the need to make arrangements to put the pet into quarantine, return the pet to the country of origin, or destroy the pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.

Home > Pet Passports > Hungary

Pet Passport Hungary

Dog Passport Hungary

European Union (EU) Regulations for taking a pet dog, cat or ferret to Hungary from within the EU, from rabies free countries or from a country with a low incidence of rabies. New pet import regulations for the EU in effect on December 29, 2014.

Hungary does not quarantine healthy pets (cats, dogs and ferrets) from the above countries having resided there for the preceeding six (6) months  that meet the following requirements in this order:

  1.  Your pet will need an ISO 11784/11785 compliant 15 digit pet microchip implanted by your veterinarian. If your pet has a microchip that is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you can bring your own microchip scanner.
  2. If your pet is entering Hungary from a rabies-free or rabies-controlled country, it will need a rabies vaccination no sooner than 21 days** prior to entry and not more than the expiration date of the manufacturer of the vaccine. If your dog, cat or ferret was not vaccinated after it was fitted with a microchip, it will have to be vaccinated again after the microchip is implanted.
  3. If your pet is entering Hungary from a high-rabies country, your pet must be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order). After waiting 30 days, a Blood Titer Test must be administered  (Have your veterinarian scan your pet's microchip prior to the titer test.)  Samples must be processed at approved laboratories. Assuming test results within acceptable limits, your pet can enter the Netherlands no sooner than 90  days after the date the blood was drawn and avoid quarantine. This step is not required unless entering the Netherlands from a high rabies country.
  4. Within 10 days of travel, an accredited veterinarian must then complete the bi-lingual Annex II for Hungary for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are entering Hungary from another EU country, then have your veterinarian update an EU Blue Pet Passport for your pet.
  5. A copy of the Rabies Certificate and Blood Titer Test results should also be included for endorsement (if applicable).
  6. Unaccompanied pets traveling as manifest cargo will need a health certificate issued within 10 days of travel. Your airlines may also require a health certificate even if your pet is traveling with you in the cabin or as checked baggage. 

This completes a pet passport for your dog, cat or ferret to enter Hungary.

Dog Passport Sweden

**Once your pet has entered Hungary, a 21 day waiting period is not required for subsequent visits, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date, and the other entry requirements listed above are met.

Effective December 29, 2014: If your pet is entering Hungary by air from outside of the EU and you are unable to travel on the same flight as your pet, you will need to sign a declaration confirming that you do not intend to sell or transfer ownership of your pet. You must show evidence of your travel within 5 days of your pet´s movement.

Effective December 29, 2014: If you are not traveling within 5 days before or after your pet or if you are intending to sell, re-home or change ownership of your dog, cat or ferret, then your pet's transport will be considered a commercial transport, and it will need to meet the following requirements:

Entry Points: pets can enter Hungary by air at Budapest, Debrecen and Sármellék Airports.

Puppies and Kittens: Rabies vaccinations cannot be administered prior to 12 weeks of age. Unvaccinated puppies and kittens under 12 weeks of age may enter Hungary from another EU Member State accompanied by a passport and have stayed in the place in which they were born since birth without contact with wild animals likely to have been exposed to the infection or are accompanied by their mothers on whom they are still dependent.

Hungary only authorise the non-commercial movement of dogs/cats/ferrets under three months old, and therefore unvaccinated against rabies, if your pet is accompanied by an approved health cerificate (numbered 02/16/1/2008).

Traveling with more than 5 pets: Effective December 29, 2014: If you are traveling with more than 5 pets over 6 months of age, unless you are traveling to a show or competition, your pets must meet the requirements as listed above (Annex I instead of Annex II form), travel from a registered premesis, use a licensed transporter, register the transport on the TRACES system, and also enter Hungary through a Border Inspection Post (if you are traveling from outside of the EU).

Exporting Pets from Hungary: effective December 29, 2014, all dogs, cats and ferrets leaving Hungary must be microchipped, vaccinated for rabies (in that order) and wait 21 days before leaving the country. If you are planning to take your pet on a trip to a country with a high incidence of rabies and returning to Hungary, your veterinarian should do a Blood Titer Test before you leave the country.

Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.

Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Hungary. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.

Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Hungary. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.

If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a turtle or parrot, you should verify that it is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITIES).  You will need to apply for additional permits if this is the case. Search their database. Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITIES regulations. Read more about CITIES.

Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.

The information published here is a guideline for pet owners importing their pet to Hungary. Further detail on import permits (if applicable), costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at if you need them. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping until 4:00 PM EST.

GOT QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS??? You can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, forum or just enter them below. We will respond as soon as we can.

Hi! I am thinking about taking my cats from Mexico to Hungary. I don't know if Mexico is considered a "high rabies conutry". How do I know which laboratories are approved? Thank you!
Posted on 2014-04-10 18:55:58.0
Hello Veronika - Mexico is considered by the EU to be a rabies controlled country which means your cat will need a microchip, then rabies vaccination (in that order) at least 21 days prior to entering Hungary. You will also need an Annex II form for Hungary completed within 10 days of travel. You can refer to the details here (there is also a link to instructions and forms if you need them,):
Posted on 2014-04-12 22:51:51.0
veronica, where are you living now? I am in San Miguel de Allende, considering taking one small dog to Hungary.
Posted on 2014-05-02 14:44:50.0
Hi!! I ll be travelling to szedeg next week and Budapest from Italy. I already found pet friendly hotels thanks to your indications. Now I d like to ask if it s allowed to enter public places such as cafe, shops and supermarkets. What is prohibited? Compliments for the beautiful website!
Posted on 2014-05-02 16:16:55.0
Since I ll be travelling full time with my dog, I d like to see and enjoy the places and be with my small friend. Entering shops and all the public services will help a lot.
Posted on 2014-05-02 17:04:58.0
Budapest is pretty pet friendly. Pets are permitted on public transport although required to be in a carrier and sometimes muzzled. There are designated dog parks where dogs can run free, but otherwise they must be on a leash. They are not allowed inside restaurants, but there are many with outside seating where pets are welcomed.
Posted on 2014-05-04 01:41:30.0
Hi Kimberly! I am in Mexico City! And taking my 2 cats is kind of complicated, because it's only 1 pet/person! Are u going to live in Hungary?
Posted on 2014-05-05 17:52:24.0
Hello- my family is relocating to Hungary from the United States. We would like to bring our two lovely guinea pigs. Am I right to understand that we do not need a pet passport?
Posted on 2014-05-20 21:26:26.0
Melissa - you will need to accompany your guines pig and complete a health certificate found here: The airlines may also require proof of a heath certificate.
Posted on 2014-05-22 03:24:42.0
Hi! Thank you for your previous answer! An other question: can I take my cats to Hungary as checked baggage or they have to enter as manifest cargo? Thank you!
Posted on 2014-05-29 20:51:51.0
Hi, Im moving my cat to Hungary from the United States in December. We just did the yearly vaccinations. Do I need to get him the rabies vaccination again before the trip, or should the one we just got be ok?
Posted on 2014-05-30 14:03:17.0
Agi - you need to have your pet microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order) at least 21 days prior to entering Hungary. You will need an Annex II form filled out by your vet within 10 days of entry. You can find details here:
Posted on 2014-06-12 04:27:23.0
Checked baggage is fine as long as your airline allows it.
Posted on 2014-06-12 04:28:08.0
Hi, Im driving from the UK to Hungary and taking my dog with me. He has had his passport done and he's been given the rabies vaccination but not sure if he needs a health check as well before we travel. Thank you
Posted on 2014-08-11 17:21:43.0
I have a 15 lb shih tzu that usually travels in cabin with me. Can she do this to Hungary? Or does she have to fly down below?
Posted on 2014-08-11 18:01:38.0
Carissa - Hungary does not require that pets enter as cargo. Your pet can fly to Hungary in the cabin as long as your cat conforms to the airline's policies. You will need to find a carrier that she can stand up and turn around in and ask if there is a weight limitation on international flights.
Posted on 2014-08-15 02:18:00.0
Viktoria - you did not mention a microchip. Your pet will need to be vaccinated for rabies AFTER it is microchipped. As long as this has happened, your pet can travel all over the EU with an EU pet passport that reflects the details of vaccination and microchipping. Health check is never a bad idea but not required with updated passport.
Posted on 2014-08-15 02:20:54.0
Thank you!
Posted on 2014-08-16 05:10:16.0
Hello! I am going to be moving to Hungary from the US at the end of September with my little beagle Finn. In regards to the rabies vaccination...he was given the 3 year rabies vaccine, expiring in August 2016. Do I need to get him revaccinated 21 days before our departure? Or is the Rabies Vaccine Certificate enough? Along with the Annex II obviously. Thank in advance!
Posted on 2014-08-27 22:08:53.0
Hi Sigourney - the EU does recognize the 3 year rabies vaccine as long as it was administered AFTER a 15 digit ISO compliant microchip was implanted.
Posted on 2014-08-28 03:01:08.0
Hello i bought a bird from Hungary I have a resident permit from there and I'm studying there.For holiday i brought my budgerigar from Hungary to Turkey.They gave me a paper from Hungary government office which explains she can travel with me she is healthy etc.Now next week I'm coming back to Hungary from Turkey.But turkey agriculture ministry doesn't have any procedure for birds anybody doesn't know what to do.What should i take as a document while I'm traveling with her ? is only normal veterinarian health report enough for it ?
Posted on 2014-08-28 18:30:37.0
Ilknur - the movement of pet birds accompanying their owners into Hungary is regulated by 2007/25/EC Commission Decision. These regulations cover birds entering Hungary from other EU countries, and those listed in Annex II, parts A, B, and C of REGULATION (EC) No 998/2003 which are rabies-controlled countries. Unfortunately, Turkey is not listed as a rabies-controlled country.
Posted on 2014-09-04 02:40:23.0
Is this particular package good to cover two (2) dogs or just one (1)
Posted on 2014-09-04 19:41:58.0
Hi Hedi - are you referring to the pet passport package here? If so, you can be duplicated to serve 2 dogs. Sorry if we have not understood your question.
Posted on 2014-09-11 01:32:59.0
I have recieved a french bulldog from Victory Bulldogs and it was imported from Hungary....................i purchased the puppy Dec. 2013 and i was just e-mailed a scanned copy of supposedly her pedigree.her registered name and number is not on it.the microchip does this what is needed to get my dog CKC registerd.
Posted on 2014-09-11 23:12:07.0
I would like to bring a puppy from UK to Hungary in December. We will be travelling by car. What are the regulations on bringing the puppy in the country. The puppy will be from my sister, not a dog breeder. Thank you for your reply in advance
Posted on 2014-09-23 10:19:56.0
Hello Elizabeth, Since the pet is originating in the UK you can use an EU Pet Passport which you can obtain from a licensed vet. Essentially, the pet will need to have a rabies vaccination, 15-digit microchip (implanted after rabies vaccine), and the EU/Blue Pet Passport.
Posted on 2014-09-25 20:06:04.0
The Annex II form is an EU form that is used for entry from third countries outside the EU. In the U.S., the International Health Certificate is another form, which is officially called the APHIS 7001 form. This form is not required by the EU, the Annex II form is, but airlines may request that you have the APHIS 7001 form as well.
Posted on 2014-09-25 20:09:56.0
What Abou bringing a dog from Jordan - Amman via plane of course ? And is there any quarantine ??
Posted on 2014-10-10 16:05:34.0
Sandra - Jordan is considered a high-rabies country by the EU. To avoid quarantine, you will need to microchip your pet, vaccinate for rabies, wait 30 days, then have your vet do a Blood Titer Test. Assuming acceptable results, your dog will be able to enter Hungary 90 days from the date the blood was drawn. You will need an Annex II form for Hungary completed within 10 days of travel. If you cannot adhere to these regulations, your pet will be quarantined until it is in compliance. You can find details and links to forms and instructions here if you need them:
Posted on 2014-10-13 02:05:21.0
Hello, is the United States considered a high rabies area?
Posted on 2014-10-23 20:42:33.0
Hi Stefany - the US is considered a rabies-controlled area. No titer test required to enter Hungary. :0)
Posted on 2014-10-26 03:05:57.0
Hey, I'm moving back to Budapest from New York, and I'm wondering if the Annex II document is something new. The last time I flew from the US to Hungary, with my dog (back then I had only one,) I didn't need it, just the health/vaccination certificates signed by a USDA-approved vet. That was 2010. I had traveled between the two countries with him a few times prior, too.
Posted on 2014-11-03 18:33:22.0
Me and my husband moving from Brasil to Hungary.We like to brind 2 dogs and 1 papagaj.Most airlines allowed that?Our papagaj is not registered,what we should do?
Posted on 2014-11-09 00:47:20.0
Viktoria - the form changed in 2012 to the Annex II form. It used to be the EU 998 form. Also, your state USDA office must endorse the forms. (this is a USDA requirement that the airlines watch for, not an EU requirement)
Posted on 2014-11-11 13:44:00.0
Hello Juliano - Brazil is considered by the EU to be a high-rabies country, so there is a process you must follow to import your dogs to Hungary. First, they must be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order, but same vet visit is fine). Then, after waiting 30 days, a Blood Titer Test must be done by your vet. Your pets can enter Hungary no sooner than 90 days after the day the blood was drawn. You will also need an Annex II form for Hungary completed by your vet within 10 days of travel. As for your bird, the regulations for importing birds to the EU do not include high-rabies countries. You should email the Veterinary Chamber at to inquire as to whether it will be permitted.
Posted on 2014-11-11 13:54:11.0

Hi? Could you tell me please the process of exporting a new caledonian crested gecko from UK to Hungary please, or provide another link where I can gind information. Thanks
Posted on 2014-11-17 15:39:37.0
Hi Can you tell me what do i need to take make persian cat from Usa (orlando) to Hungary? Stop at amstardam or frankfurt to change plain! Do i need to know the rules for Frankfurt or amsterdam or just Hungary? I dont know yet where we are going to change plain!which country rules i have to know! I dont want to leave my cat at frankfurt because they wont let her take because she might need something else then Hungary? Please answer me soon as possible because i will travel soon! Thank you! Elizabeth
Posted on 2014-11-18 03:24:25.0
Kelvin - unless covered by CITIES regulations, geckos should be able to travel freely within the EU. You should confirm with the Central Veterinary Institute:
Posted on 2014-11-20 03:22:23.0
Erzebet - to take your cat from the US to Hungary, it will need to be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order) no sooner than 21 days prior to entering Hungary. You will need an Annex II form completed by a USDA accredited vet and endorsed by the USDA within 10 days of travel. You can find details here with links to instructions and forms if you need them:
Posted on 2014-11-20 03:25:05.0
Hey, if I buy a dog in hungary and then go to israel for a couple of months, what do I need to present in order to bring the dog BACK to hungary?
Posted on 2014-12-12 11:19:36.0
Hi David - if you buy a dog in Hungary, at the age of 3 months, it should be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order). Wait 30 days (not including the date of the vet visit) and have a titer test done. You will need it to enter Israel. Also get an EU pet passport and have your vet enter all your pup's info in it. It will not expire as long as the rabies vaccinations are kept up to date. You can re-enter Hungary 3 months after the date the blood was drawn for the titer test assuming acceptable results.
Posted on 2014-12-15 20:39:29.0
Hi, my cat is originally from the UK (has UK pet passport) but we've been living in Singapore for the past 8 years. Are his passport and vaccination certifications enough to enter Hungary or does he need anything else as we're arriving from outside of the EU? Thanks
Posted on 2014-12-17 14:37:05.0
Hello Nedda, Technically, the EU Pet Passport can only be used for intra-EU travel. When entering from outside the EU you would use the EU Veterinary Certificate (Annex IV Form). Your pet will need a ISO-compliant 15-digit microchip and a rabies vaccine after the chip implantation along with a 21 day wait afterwards in order to enter.
Posted on 2014-12-23 18:03:35.0
Hello! I'm moving to Hungary from the US and have had a crazy time getting everything ready to move my 2 green-cheek conures there. I got them microchipped, have the CITES pet-passports and vet-signed USDA-APHIS form 7001 (waiting for APHIS endorsement). I could only find the English version of the EU form 2007/25/EC (I read the whole thing) Annex II health certificate. Is there an EN/HU version? Also, am I missing anything else? Right now I'm trying to find an airline on which I can take them in the cabin with me. United and Delta allow it for transatlantic flights to Europe, but most other European connection airlines don't allow birds. I did find one smaller airline that allows most domesticated pets: OAW Helvetic Airways. Thank you!
Posted on 2015-01-04 04:29:31.0
Nedda - your EU pet passport will be good for re-entering the UK as long as your dog's rabies vaccinations have not expired since you got the passport.
Posted on 2015-01-12 02:20:59.0
Roberto - you should be fine with the English version of the Annex II.
Posted on 2015-01-12 02:31:38.0
Dear PetTravel ! I have sensitive question.. I'm moving to Hungary and my cat has Feline Leukemia Virus (FLV)... :( He probably get it when he was a baby, he almost 5yrs old now and never meet other cat, he is inside kitty all his life. Please help me what do you think is that a problem bringing him to Hungary ?? Where could I go to find out ?? :( Thank you so much !!! ?
Posted on 2015-01-26 22:40:15.0
Roberto - you should be fine with the English version of the Annex IV. Note that the Annex II is no longer valid.
Posted on 2015-01-30 03:56:48.0
You should not have a problem entering Hungary with your kitty as long as it can be microchipped and vaccinated for rabies. It is not on the list of diseases that can infect humans.
Posted on 2015-01-30 03:59:10.0
Hi,I am confused,my dog was vaccinated on 9/17/2014,microchipped 1/30/2015,do I have to vaccinate him again for rabies?
Posted on 2015-02-01 23:32:46.0
Jozsef - you are correct. The microchip must be implanted before the vaccination is administered.
Posted on 2015-02-05 02:49:31.0
I'm traveling from USA, going hungry, and I have a small parrot traveling with me. What are the document needed for the parrot. Thanks
Posted on 2015-02-06 17:55:05.0
Masoud - Hungary does permit the entry of small birds traveling from rabies-controlled countries with their owner. They will need health certificates per 2007/25 / EC Commission Decision. Your bird will need to be quarantined for 30 days prior to import and 30 days after import. The health certificate is included in the legislation.
Posted on 2015-02-10 04:39:29.0
You should also check CITIES database to be sure your parrot is not on their list of endangered species.
Posted on 2015-02-10 04:40:08.0
Hi, I've just called Lufthansa and I was told that if I fly from London to Hungary and then back my dog on the way back might not be travelling with me, as the UK is not allowing dogs back, but if I am taking a dog from here I don't get why can't the dog come back home with me? Can you please help? Adriana
Posted on 2015-02-12 18:14:52.0
Hello Adriana - commercial airlines like Lufthansa will fly live animals out of the UK as checked baggage or in the cabin, but this is not the case for pets arriving in the UK. They must travel as manifest cargo. In both cases (checked baggage and manifest cargo) your pet will travel in the hold, but the classes of service are different. The airlines will make every attempt to put pets traveling as checked baggage on the same plane as their owners because they do not want the responsibility to care for them while they wait on the ground for an available flight. However, pets traveling as manifest cargo are under the care of the airlines for the entire trip and so, are more likely to be "bumped" to the next flight if there is not sufficient room in the hold. This is not necessarily the case unless the aircraft that serves the route you will be flying on does not accommodate pets in the hold. It could work out that your pet does travel with you, but Lufthansa cannot guarantee that will be the case.
Posted on 2015-02-14 16:01:31.0
Hi, If I'm buying a 4 months old puppy from Ukraine and want to take it with me to Hungary - what are the documents needed to take the dog across the border's checkpoint? Thank you!
Posted on 2015-02-15 13:54:35.0
Yogev - because Ukraine is considered by the EU to be a high-rabies country, the puppy cannot enter Hungary before it is 7 months of age. At the age of 3 months (no sooner), it is microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies. After a 30 day wait, a licensed veterinarian will administer a Blood Titer Test. Assuming the results are acceptable, your puppy can enter the EU when traveling with you (not unaccompanied) 3 calendar months after the date the blood was drawn for the test. If your pup is not already microchipped and vaccinated, you can not enter the EU until it is 8 months of age. It will need an Annex IV form completed by a licensed veterinarian within 10 days of travel.
Posted on 2015-02-16 04:19:20.0
What are the Hungarian Guidelines of a Service Animal (Dog)? I will be traveling with him from the US to Budapest
Posted on 2015-02-19 03:39:23.0
Ok i need to transport my dogs from Croatia to Ireland over Hungarian courrier i need to bring them to Pecs for collection.before i cross hungarian border what els3 do i need to prepare for dogs.they have passport they will be vaccinated and they are microchiped and i will get certificate from veterinarian.
Posted on 2015-02-20 07:49:08.0
Thank you so much !!!!! ?
Posted on 2015-02-20 09:39:23.0
Hi I will import a puppy from Hungary where will my hungarian breeder finde a official vet?
Posted on 2015-02-20 18:38:43.0
Hello Kory - service animals are subject to the same regulations as regular dogs. You will need to have your pet microchipped (15 digit), then vaccinated for rabies at least 21 days prior to entering Hungary. You will need to have a USDA-accredited vet complete an Annex IV form within 10 days for endorsement by a State USDA office. You can find details and links to instructions and forms here if you need them:
Posted on 2015-02-24 02:14:43.0
Thank You! :)
Posted on 2015-02-24 02:15:41.0
Radivoje - your dogs will need microchips, then rabies vaccinations (in that order) no sooner than 21 days prior to entering Ireland. they will need EU pet passports. They will need tapeworm treatments between one and five days of entering Ireland.
Posted on 2015-02-24 02:16:21.0
Vivica - it is so important to know where you are located to answer your question.If you are importing a puppy from Hungary to Sweden, it must be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order) no sooner than 3 months of age. then, it must wait for 21 days after rabies vaccination before traveling to Sweden. It must have an EU pet passport as well.
Posted on 2015-02-24 02:21:00.0
Hi! Some weeks ago I travelled from Hungary to Finland with my dog. As the dog doesn't feel well in flat, because he grewn up in a huge garden with his dog-friends, and the situation is not changing at all, we decided to take the dog home, to his original huge garden in Hungary. We came 3 weeks ago, the dog has his passport and the vaccination, microchip, and everything else, what was needed to enter Finland. Before we started there was also necessary a treatment against worms. The main question is: do we need to do this anti-worm treatment and stamp at the vet again, or the dog can go home without doing this again in 4 weeks? Thank you!
Posted on 2015-03-07 20:04:31.0
Szilvia - your pup will need a tapeworm treatment between one and five days of entering Finland. Have the vet enter it in his EU pet passport. That is all you will need to do.
Posted on 2015-03-10 03:49:15.0
i would like to bring 2 dogs from hungary to uk what is the procedure please
Posted on 2015-03-18 21:25:11.0
Wendy - you need to microchip your pets, then vaccinate them for rabies in that order at least 21 days before traveling. Get them an EU pet passport and have your veterinarian complete the chip and vaccination details. Your dogs will need a tapeworm treatment between one and five days of travel. That's all you need to do! Details here: You will need to find an airline that flies the entire route and is approved to fly live animals into the UK. Layovers should be under 2 hours. Your dogs must travel as manifest cargo, so contact the cargo department of the airline for reservation and cost details.
Posted on 2015-03-22 03:15:16.0
PetTravel What a fantastic thorough reply - thanks a million - appreciated :)
Posted on 2015-03-22 06:36:34.0
PetTravel is this still true, i have moved to hungary almost a year ago, my husband and i just bought a countryside home, i want my sister to bring my lab to us since we now have room for him
Posted on 2015-04-05 17:10:36.0
as in does he still need the titer test???
Posted on 2015-04-05 17:11:27.0
HELP!!!! i moved to Hungary almost a year ago. I left my lab with my sister in Texas. Until my husband and i found a home with a yard. Now we have a yard. My sister will bring my dog to me. this presents a few problems according to this site. he is not traveling with me. is he considered commercial because he is traveling with my sister??? is this considered to be a home transfer??? annex 1 or 2???? why is this so hard to understand. please any advice and conversation would be greatly appreciated
Posted on 2015-04-05 18:59:55.0
It will be a noncommercial movement since someone is accompanying the pet. Your sister would be the guardian of the pet and she can be written as the consignor and consignee on the Annex IV non-commercial movement form.
Posted on 2015-04-08 20:15:25.0
PetTravel so i need annex form 4 not 2??? is that included in the package i just bought? i bought his hungarian passport papers from you
Posted on 2015-04-09 03:12:22.0
Imi És Kari Forró You will need an Annex IV form and it was included in the forms and instructions that we sent to you. If you do not see it, email us at
Posted on 2015-04-10 03:40:50.0
PetTravel i have 1 more question. m dog just hd his rabies shot. so we will have to re-do it, my question is: when the vet puts the micro chip in and reads it, then how long to re-vaccinate my dog??? thank you so much for all of your help
Posted on 2015-04-10 08:18:59.0
The vaccination can happen immediately unless your vet has a problem with re-vaccinating so soon.
Posted on 2015-04-15 02:12:59.0
Hi I'm traveling from egypt to hungary with my 2 cats what do I need to do?
Posted on 2015-04-20 11:00:09.0
I purchased the Pet Passport Hungary in 2012, has there been any changes to it? Do I need to purchase a new Pet Passport Hungary for 2015?
Posted on 2015-05-13 19:10:53.0
Harvey - your EU Pet Passport is still good as long as your pet's rabies vaccinations have not expired.
Posted on 2015-05-16 18:08:18.0

I brought my cat from the US to Hungary 9 months ago, so she has all the US paperwork. We are leaving Hungary to go back to the US at the end of June. Are there any paperwork or vet visits that I need to address to get her out of Hungary and back in the US?
Posted on 2015-06-01 16:49:43.0

hello, im flying to Vienna from Spain and then driving to Budapest with my dog. Anything that I should be aware of apart from passport, chip and vaccine?
Posted on 2015-06-05 22:07:26.0

Stevie - your kitty needs to have a current rabies vaccination that was administered after a microchip was implanted and at least 21 days prior to leaving Hungary. It should also have an EU Pet Passport. No additional requirements to enter the US. Check with your airline to see if a health certificate is required.
Posted on 2015-06-07 01:37:39.0

Chilla - with an EU Pet Passport, you are ready to go! Have a safe trip.
Posted on 2015-06-07 01:38:35.0

Hello, my friend is moving back to Budapest and he has a flight booked for mid July, however he is still trying to get his medium sized dog on a flight over, in which the dog will be flying cargo by himself and arrangements have been made to be picked up in Budapest. My question is which airline is going to do this? Im really confused. British Airways seems the best so far, but we are worried about the layover, since we will not be there to let him out. Do people tend to pets on layovers? He would likely be flying from DC to Budapest with one layover. So, which airline, are layovers ok if owner is not present??? (the dog has EU passport and all vet appointments taken care of)
Posted on 2015-06-07 20:52:21.0

Hello! I'm living in Budapest, but I'm from Georgia country, and my dog is in Georgia, so I'll back to Georgia for my dog and I want take with me. So, what documents I need for my dog? Thank you !
Posted on 2015-06-12 13:38:45.0

Ali - the airlines will check on your friend's pup during the layover, but may not take it out of the crate unless there are special facilities in the layover city. Each airline is different in this regard. If the layover is under 2 hours, then there is not much time. Must mention that, if the pup does not travel with or within 5 days of its owner, it must travel commercially. It will need an Annex I form completed within 48 hours of travel and endorsed by the USDA.
Posted on 2015-06-15 02:52:31.0

Maryam - the Republic of Georgia is considered a high-rabies country by the EU, so all steps listed here will be required including the titer test:
Posted on 2015-06-15 02:55:17.0

Hi! i have a small problem..i did not know about rabies vaccination has to be 21 days before travel for dogs..i have an air plane ticket in 10 days from Copenhagen to Budapest, and from Budapest i will travel further to Romania. My question i risk that my dog be stopped in Budapest for quarantine because of the rabies vaccination is just on the 10th day? :(
Posted on 2015-06-16 10:36:16.0

Hi...Finally i can bring my rescued dog from thailand to hungary ( chip in, after vaccinated, rabbies titer done and good and 3 month waiting period gone)...i already ordered my ticket from lufthansa budapest -frankfurt-Bangkok-Frankfurt-Budapest...I ordered from u the hungarian pet passport set and the lufthansa set as i right, when i think i dont need any special papers because we have 2 hours transit in frankfurt?...dont u know when the thai airport vet should check my dog?..because some site said 3-7 day before, but ppl who have they own experience said 1 day erlier , because who tried before, had to go back at that time, because the thai goverment guy didnt check first...its a bit difficult to manage all the stuff from budapest...i mean thats why i can not ask personal at bangog airport...i will landing there at july 4 morning and coming back (with my dog) at july 5 middle of the day...just dont want any trouble...thx
Posted on 2015-06-17 09:43:02.0

Hi! I'm driving to Canada from USA to drop off my mom at the airport and then flies to Hungary with her two cats. Do I need a pet passport for each country or just one for the arrival country? If I read correctly, USA is considered a rabies -controlled country, the cats will NOT be under quarantine, right? Is it necessary to complete the bi-lingual Annex IV? Thank you!
Posted on 2015-06-17 13:53:56.0

Iris - in order to travel from one EU country to another, technically, your dog must have a current rabies vaccination administered after a microchip was implanted and not before 21 days of traveling. Also, your pet will need an EU pet passport. If you are flying in and out of Budapest on the same airline and the same flight, then your pup will transit the country, but you will have the same problem in Romania. Most EU countries do not have quarantine facilities and expect that requirements are fulfilled in the originating country. They will return a pet that does not meet requirements back to the country of origin.
Posted on 2015-06-18 02:39:38.0

Ildiko - as long as you are flying in and out of Frankfurt on the same airline, you will not need forms for Germany. As for an export check, try to get it done the day before if possible. We have seen 2-3 but you know 1 day is acceptable. Make an appointment on the afternoon of July 4 if possible.
Posted on 2015-06-18 02:52:14.0

Nora - a veterinarian will need the Annex IV form for Hungary and, if it is completed by a US vet, then it should be endorsed by your State USDA office (make sure your vet is USDA accredited). Have your vet complete an APHIS 7001 form as well and include for endorsement. You should be able to use these forms to enter Canada as well. There will be no quarantine for your cats.
Posted on 2015-06-18 02:57:09.0

hi were traveling to budapest on sunday from London are we good to go with a micro chipped dog who has a eu passport or do we need to do anything else??
Posted on 2015-06-26 19:02:43.0