Tweet Pet Travel Pet Travel Forum Pet Travel Blog Pet Travel on Facebook

Pet Travel - Private Yacht

There are a number of immigration issues when taking a pet on a boat or yacht to various countries.

If your cat or dog remains on the boat when you visit these countries then technically no paperwork is required. However some countries may not allow you to tie up at the dock for fear that the pet will somehow get ashore. This is rare but if it happens you will be asked to anchor out.

From a practical standpoint you should at least have a certificate from your veterinarian stating that your pet is healthy and free of parasites and has all current inoculations. The veterinary certificate APHIS form 7001 issued in the US is good for one year or until the rabies vaccine expires (12 months from the date administered) whichever comes first.

If you are traveling to a country within the EU then you must use the EU veterinary certificate form 998. The problem is that the certificate is only valid for 4 months from the date issued.

Caribbean and Mexico
It has been reported to us by other traveling pet owners that when visiting many of the Caribbean countries as well as Mexico the form 7001 and a $20.00 bill is all that is needed. There are certainly exceptions. The Bahamas requires you to get a permit in advance, which costs $10.00. Some of the British colonies have stricter rules and a few islands prohibit pets coming ashore entirely.

South Pacific
Many of the Islands of the Pacific including Hawaii and French Polynesia prohibit pets without extensive quarantine or advance blood tests.

Most European countries except England, Ireland, Sweden & Malta will welcome your pet if you have the EU form 998.

Pet immigration rules for entering over 230 countries

Pet Travel Private Yacht