Questions about traveling with a pet?

Contact | Email | Facebook

International Pet Travel

The quarantine rules, regulations and required forms for traveling internationally with your pet are constantly changing.

European Union (EU) Countries have relaxed the rules for entering from a country with a low incidence of rabies such as the United States and Canada. Your dog, cat or ferret will need to be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies, then wait for 21 days before traveling. It will also need an EU health certificate issued by your veterinarian within 10 days of travel.

Most EU countries now recognize 125 different countries as having a low incidence of rabies, the latest addition to the list being Mexico.

Virtually all countries that require that your pet be microchipped as a condition of entry specify a 15 digit ISO microchip. The ISO pet microchip, which is a non-encrypted 15 digit microchip operating at 134.2 kHz is the world standard.

Gone are the days when a universal international health certificate such as the APHIS form 7001 would suffice for travel to another country. Now, almost every country has their own unique veterinary certificate.

Although there are countries that require manditory quarantine, having your pet quarantined almost never happens any more now that the rabies titre test has come into popular use as a means of making sure that pets are vaccinated for rabies. However, every day more countries are requiring the rabies titre test, so you need to check each country's regulations carefully. The Turks & Caicos and the United Arab Emirates are recent additions to the list of countries requiring this test.

Pets living in Europe have an easier time, as the EU has adopted a single form of veterinary certificate called the EU Pet Passport. However, the EU Pet Passport can only be issued by veterinarians in the EU and it is only valid for travel within the EU. Pets entering the EU with a EU health certificate can travel throughout the EU for 4 months or until their rabies vaccination expires, whichever comes first.

Most countries require that the forms for taking a pet into that country be endorsed by the "competent authority". This is the governmental agency that licenses veterinarians in the country from which they are departing. In the United States, this is done by the State USDA veterinarian and in Canada by the CFIA office in the region of Canada you are traveling from. In your country, it will be done by the government agency responsible for the import and export of live animals, generally a division of the Department of Agriculture.

It is VERY important that you have the current information and all of the necessary forms before traveling internationally. The forms and instructions for taking your pet to almost every country in the world can be found in our pet passport section.

With more airlines accepting pets on their international routes, traveling with your pet has become much easier. In addition to the pet passport rules and forms, you will find the pet policy for the world's airlines as well as policies for cruise ships and ferries throughout the world.

If you have questions regarding International Pet Travel with your pet, send an email to: