Questions about traveling with a pet?

Contact | Email | Facebook

Hong Kong Pet Passport & Import Regulations

Hong Kong Flag
Hong Kong has suspended the commercial (unaccompanied) import of all rodents and rabbits from all countries.
Unless otherwise stated, the regulations below apply to domestic dogs and cats. Owners of other pets should refer to item 14.

Pet Microchip

pet microchip

Your dog, cat or ferret must first be microchipped with either a 9 or 15 digit microchip to enter Hong Kong. If your pet's microchip cannot be read by a universal scanner (encrypted), then you must bring your own scanner.

Crates, carriers, passports, microchips and more at


More information on pet transport to Hong Kong



Import Permit

import permit for Hong Kong

Dogs, cats and ferrets should not be brought into Hong Kong (either to import or for trans shipment/transit) unless a Special Permit to do so is obtained in advance from the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department. The permit is valid for 6 months and will cover the import of one cat or dog.

Pet Travel Transport can help get your pet there safely.




pet rabies vaccination

If your pet is from a Group 2 or 3 country (see below), then your dog, or cat must be vaccinated for rabies between 30 days and 12 months prior to entry into the country. (rabies vaccination is optional but recommended for pets from Group 1 countries) Your pet must not be vaccinated before 90 days of age.

All dogs must be vaccinated against canine distemper, infectious canine hepatitis and canine parvovirus. All cats must be vaccinated against feline panleucopaenia (infectious enteritis) and feline respiratory disease complex.

airine pet policies


Private Jet Charter is a lifetime experience for you and your pet



Rabies Titer Test

Blood Titer Test

A rabies titer test is not required from any country when entering Hong Kong. However, service (disability assistance) dogs arriving from any country can avoid quarantine by having a rabies titer test no sooner than 30 days after the primary vaccination and at least 6 months before entering the country.  The titer test is valid for one year. All other requirements must be met and forms certifying your dog as a service animal must be provided. Service dogs can arrive in-cabin with advance approval.

Pet passports - other countries




pet health certificate

To enter Hong Kong from a Group 1 country (see step #7), then you will need a certificate stating that your pet resided in your home country continuously during the preceeding 180 days prior to export or since birth OR for the entire period prior to being directly imported from Hong Kong.

To enter Hong Kong from Group 2 country (see step #8), you will need a certificate stating that your pet resided in your home country continuously during the preceeding 180 days prior to export and that the area within 10km of your pet's place of residence has not reported any cases of rabies in any species (excluding bats) for at least 180 days prior to export to Hong Kong.

Pets from all Groups will need a Veterinary Certificate for Hong Kong issued by an accredited veterinarian within 14 days of entry to Hong Kong to be endorsed by the USDA or CFIA if your pet is traveling from the United States or Canada respectively. If your pet is traveling from another country, the Governing Authority responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse your forms.


Captain's Affidavit

health certificate

Pets from all Groups will need a certificate completed by airline personnel stating that your pet has travelled the entire journey without leaving its crate and did not come into contact with any other animals. In the case of transit via other countries, the animal did not leave the cargo area of the airport of the airport. Note that your pet may not be eligible for import or may be detained if these conditions are not met.


Rabies-Free (Group 1) Countries

Hong Kong rabies-controlled countries

Countries that Hong Kong considers to be rabies-free (Group 1) - minimum of 6 months residency: Australia, Fiji, Hawaii, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, United Kingdom and the Bailiwick of Jersey.


Rabies-Controlled (Group 2) Countries

Hong Kong high-rabies countries

Countries that Hong Kong considers to be rabies-controlled countries (Group2) - minimum of 4 month residency: Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Belgium, Bermuda, Brunei, Canada, Cayman Island, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Guam, Iceland, Italy, Jamaica, Luxembourg, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Netherlands, Norway, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, Seychelles, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United States (continental), Vanuatu and the Virgin Islands.


High-Rabies (Group 3) Countries

Hong Kong rabies-controlled countries

Countries that Hong Kong considers to be high-rabies countries (Group3): All countries that are not included in the Group 1 or Group 2 country lists.



Hong Kong pet quarantine

All domestic dogs, cats and ferrets must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Hong Kong. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense. If all requirements are met, your pet will be released to you after examination.

Dogs and cats entering Hong Kong from Group 3 countries will be subject to a minimum of 4 months of quarantine upon entry. Advance reservations with the quarantine center are required.


Entering Hong Kong by Air


Pets must enter as air cargo at the international airports in Hong Kong. The flight must be as direct as possible and not transit through a high-rabies country.

If your pet is changing aircraft** in Hong Kong or will be in transit for more than 6 hours, it will need a transit permit. Import permits are required for pets transiting Hong Kong from mainland China.

The Duty Officer of the Import & Export Section must be notified at least 24 hours ahead of arrival.

**According to your pet's itinerary, if the flight number does not change, then it will remain on the same aircraft.


Puppies and Kittens

Hong Kong puppy or kitten import

If entering from a Group 1 country, unvaccinated puppies or kittens must be at least 60 days old to be imported. If entering from any other country, puppies or kittens cannot enter Hong Kong less than 5 months old and must be vaccinated for rabies no sooner than 90 days of age.

Pets that are more than 4 months pregnant will not be permitted entry.


Banned Breeds

Banned Dogs in Hong Kong

The following breeds and their crosses are banned from import to Hong Kong: Pit Bull Terrier (also known as the American Staffordshire Terrier), the Japanese Tosa, the Dogo Argentino and the Fila Braziliero. In the case of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or if requested, the dog must be accompanied with a statutory declaration attesting to the breed of the dog. Service and emotional support animals are also subject to the ban.

The requirements listed here do not cover Savannah cats. Bengal cats must be at least 5 generations removed.


Other Animals

rabbits turtles other animals

Birds must have an import permit and health certificate to enter Hong Kong. Birds are not permitted to enter Hong Kong from the US, Vietnam, the Netherlands, Korea, Indonesia, South Africa, Ivory Coast or India.

Invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but need have to have an import permit and should have a health certificate. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.



CITES endangered turtle

If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a turtle or parrot, you should verify that it is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).  You will need to apply for additional permits if this is the case. Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITES regulations.


Need More Assistance?

Have a question about traveling with your pet?

To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given country may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the need to make arrangements to put your pet into quarantine at your expense, return your pet to the country of origin, or euthanize your pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.

Further detail on import permits, costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping Monday through Friday until 4:00 PM EST.



Due to the high demand, we may be unable to respond to your  question quickly if posted below. If you need a fast response, you can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, or forum. We will respond as soon as we can.

Please note that the accuracy of comments made from Facebook users other than Pet Travel have not been verified. We do not endorse any person or company that may offer transport services through posts to this webpage.