Questions about traveling with a pet?

Contact | Email | Facebook

Macau Pet Passport & Import Regulations

Macau Flag

Macau does not quarantine cats and dogs that meet the following requirements when entering Macau from a rabies free country or a country with a low incidence of rabies.

If your pet will be transported to Macau from a high-rabies country, your dog or cat will have to meet pet import requirements for entering Hong Kong, then continue on to Macau.

If your cat or dog is transiting through Hong Hong to Macau, the Macau import approval must be submitted to the Hong Kong Agriculture and Fisheries Department to obtain permission for your pet to transit through Hong Kong.

Keep in mind that it takes over 3 months to get all the endorsements necessary, so plan ahead.

All requirements also apply to service and emotional support animals. Failure to conform to regulations will result in 6 months of quarantine.


Pet Microchip

pet microchip

A minimum of 3 months before traveling, have your veterinarian microchip your pet with an ISO 11784/11785 compliant pet microchip. If your pet's microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you can bring your own microchip scanner. If the microchip cannot be read, then the pet will not be allowed to enter Macau as this country no longer accepts tattoos.

Crates, carriers, passports, microchips and more at


More information on pet transport to Macau




pet rabies vaccination

After the microchip is implanted, your dog or cat must then vaccinate your pet with an inactive rabies vaccine after the microchip is installed. If your animal was vaccinated before it was fitted with a microchip, it will have to be vaccinated again. Dogs and cats must not be vaccinated for rabies before 3 months of age.

Pet Travel Transport can help get your pet there safely.



Rabies Titer Test

Rabies Titer Test

Unless your cat or dog is originating from a country where there have been no incidents of rabies in the past 2 years, your veterinarian must then administer a rabies titer test and send it to a approved laboratory for testing. The test must be administered no sooner than 30 days after the rabies vaccination and more than 3 months prior to entering Macau.

airine pet policies


Private Jet Charter is a lifetime experience for you and your pet



Health Certificate

pet microchip

Assuming the results of the test are within acceptable limits, then a licensed veterinarian can issue the Veterinary Certificate for Macau which must be endorsed by the USDA or CFIA if departing from the United States or Canada. If you are not traveling from either of these countries, the Governing Authority of your country responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse the forms.

Pet passports - other countries



Import Permit

pet passport forms

An import permit from the Division of Animal Control and Inspection is required when entering Macau with a personal pet. The permit must be applied for in Macau by the owner, owner representative or an agent and is valid for 30 days from date of issuance.


Ticks and Tapeworm Treatment

tapeworm treatment

A ticks and tapeworm treatment is not required prior to entering Macau but is recommended due to availability of these products in the country.


Entering Macau by Air


Pets may enter Macau via Macau International Airport. Pets can arrive in the cabin, as checked baggage or as air cargo.

All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the entry airport. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.

Whenever your pet travels to a foreign country like Macau, it is always advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of your pet.

All pets transiting Macau will need a transit permit, have a current health certificate and must give prior notice of transit.


Banned Breeds

Banned Dogs in Macau

Macau does not permit the import of the following breeds or their crosses: Tibetan Mastiff, Fila Braziliero, Dogo Argentino, Pit Bull Terrier and Japanese Tosa.


Exporting Pets from Macau

export pets from Macau

All resident pets leaving Macau must present their pet to the Macao Municipal Kennel for inspection. Details of travel, description of the pet, rabies certificate, license (for resident pets), details of the owner, requirements for destination country must be provided before a health certificate is issued. The certificate is valid for 10 days.


Other Animals

rabbits turtles other animals

Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Macau. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.



CITES endangered turtle

If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a turtle or parrot, you should verify that it is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). You will need to apply for additional permits if this is the case. Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITES regulations.


Need More Assistance?

Have a question about traveling with your pet?

To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given country may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the need to make arrangements to put your pet into quarantine at your expense, return your pet to the country of origin, or euthanize your pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.

Further detail on import permits, costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping Monday through Friday until 4:00 PM EST.



Due to the high demand, we may be unable to respond to your  question quickly if posted below. If you need a fast response, you can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, or forum. We will respond as soon as we can.

Please note that the accuracy of comments made from Facebook users other than Pet Travel have not been verified. We do not endorse any person or company that may offer transport services through posts to this webpage.