Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling around the world with your pet

Re: Traveling around the world with your pet

I'm flying my two dogs in cargo in a few months... I'm planning on using Alaska airlines (from Portland to Newark direct). They only charge $100 per pet, which is INSANELY cheap. I looked at some of the other carriers and they charge by weight, which puts a 100 lb dog + crate at $400+. American is also per pet but they charge a little more and have size restrictions on some of their flight (our dogs use the largest carrier).

Anyone have experience with flying Alaska? Is there a better airline?

I looked at the cargo services (where you're not on the flight) and it's cheaper to fly someone roundtrip with your dogs than using their services! What's up with that?
    jimmy

Hi,
    I will be flying with my pet for the first time on June 22nd. I am taking her in the cabin and the dimensions of the pet carrier posted on the site is really hard to find. My dog is about 11-12 lbs and I was wondering if anyone has flown with this size pet on this airline and what kind of carrier was used and what kind of seat was best for pet storage. Thanks so much! kind of stressing about this after hearing horror stories!
    jimmy

Administrator

You can call the airline, tell them your route, and they will tell you how much room is under the seat in front of you. Normally, the window seat is the best as there may be electronics under the middle seat and the room under the aisle seat is oftentimes compromised on many aircraft. You will need a carrier with a waterproof bottom and secure fasteners (zippers, not straps) We would recommend a flexible carrier over a rigid carrier. Sizing is important as your pet will need to be able to stand up and turn around in the carrier. All of these carriers are airline compliant: https://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-carriers/
    Susan

I used to bring my pet with me when I travel. I've been doing this for almost six years and so far I had no problem on it. I've been to different countries around the world. When I travel, I choose hotels that allows guests with pets in them.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaLane View Post
    I used to bring my pet with me when I travel. I've been doing this for almost six years and so far I had no problem on it. I've been to different countries around the world. When I travel, I choose hotels that allows guests with pets in them.
    Julia,

That's really good to know!! My partner and I are thinking about adopting a dog but we plan to travel a lot in the next few years and we'd want to take him with us. Was there anywhere you took your pet that you did have problems? Was it very expensive to regularly travel with your pet?

We desperately want to adopt this little dog but we don't ever want to let him down in the future, as he was abandoned before so we want to be sure we can commit!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Also, if anyone else has advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Administrator

Hi Vbells - if your pooch is less than 15 pounds and 18" long, it can travel in the cabin of the aircraft with you on airlines that permit it and to countries that permit it. Entrance requirements are different for every country in the world. One common requirement for most countries is a 15 digit microchip. Also a current rabies vaccination is also required for all countries. You can always check with http://www.pettravel.com/passportnew.cfm for country requirements.
    Susan

helpfull thread

-luxx

Nobody likes to leave his/her pet away but i must tell you that not all hotels and air crafts allow pets. And now that you are planing to travel the world with one, you must make your reservations after confirming that the hotel allows pet. What i know is that the companies providing vacation rental homes, do allow pets in the rental homes and apartments.
    The Rental Management Company

Right! It will be really difficult to travel with pet. It's not allowed in most hotels and airlines. What I do is to leave it for a while to friends or neighbors.

I also wish to travel the world with my family and pets. I have two puppies and I am planning to go to France this vacation. I have been to France many times, it is a beautiful and pet friendly country that is why I have decided to take my puppies to France. You can also take your pets to France.