Thread: Dog requirements Dominican Republic to US for vacation

Dog requirements Dominican Republic to US for vacation

Hello all,

I was planning to go on vacation for a week from the US to Dominican Republic (D.R.) with my 6-year old sheltie, so I was reading online about the requirements to enter the country, easily found thanks to PetTravel.
    My interrogation is more about the way back to the US. It seems that I would need some extra forms since D.R. seems to be listed under the country list where screwworm exists, found here https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/bring-pet-into-the-united-states/pet-travel-dogs-into-us.

According to this website:
    "The dog must be accompanied by a certificate signed by a full-time salaried veterinary official of the region of origin stating:
    The dog has been inspected for screwworm within 5 days prior to shipment to the United States."

Does it mean every dog coming in the US from that country, no matter how long it stayed here, will need that kind of extra paperwork, that apparently even needs to be done in the said country before taking the plane back to the US?

Thank you!

Administrator

Re: Dog requirements Dominican Republic to US for vacation

moltes29 - yes, your dog will need to see a vet in the DR and get a statement that it has been inspected for screwworm. Once pets leave their originating country, they lose their "status," and must conform to regulations as a pet who has never been there. Few counties have programs for re-entering pets. Although we doubt one will be needed, ask your airline whether they will require a health certificate.
    Susan

Thank you for your answer Susan.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    moltes29 - yes, your dog will need to see a vet in the DR and get a statement that it has been inspected for screwworm. Once pets leave their originating country, they lose their "status," and must conform to regulations as a pet who has never been there. Few counties have programs for re-entering pets. Although we doubt one will be needed, ask your airline whether they will require a health certificate.
    Susan
    Hello,

Moltes29, thanks for thread.

Susan, thanks for you answer to moltes29.

could you say me rules coming back dogs to Russia?

I considering going with all my family from Russia to DR in June 2019.
    We plan very active program there. some excursion we ordered from republica-dominikana.ru/
    But now I had thought about control in pet's transportation and participation in our activities.
    that is why I decided to stay our dog in animal shelter just as my children are opposite while(((

Administrator

Juliana - you can find requirements to import your dogs to Russia here and there are links to further instructions and forms if you need them: https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/russia.cfm.
    Susan

In the near future, I have a chance to go to Dominican Republic and I'd like to take my dog with me. I choose this wedding agency happypeoplewed.com and they said, that it's ok to take the dog. May be you can give me some information about travelling with dog to this country?

Dominica, I need the same information)))

Administrator

Dominika and Julianna - you can find requirements to import your dogs to Russia here and there are links to further instructions and forms if you need them: https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/DominicanRepublic.cfm.
    Susan