Thread: Moving dogs that may be aggressive

Exclamation Moving dogs that may be aggressive

I have a eight dogs that I will be immigrating to New Zealand (from South Africa) in the near future.

Several of the dogs were removed from an abusive owner before being re-homed. As a result they are easily stressed. I have worked with all the dogs as a foster parent in the past and am concerned that in a high stress environment that they may bite workers that they are unfamiliar with. They have not bitten anyone in the past, but I cannot be certain that they will not do so, if put in such a difficult situation. I feel it would be in the best interest of everyone involved if I am able to be the sole person to handle the dogs until they are settled in.

I am unable to find a service that would allow me to accompany the dogs on the flight or in a quarantine facility. I am happy to pay whatever is necessary to ensure the well-being of the dogs.

Does anyone know of any services that would be able to help me with this?

Administrator

Re: Moving dogs that may be aggressive

Omm - if you feel that your dogs will display aggressive tendencies, to fly commercially, they will need to travel in IATA CR82 wooden crates similar to these (scroll down to the bottom of the page): https://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-crates/. If you fly commercially, then you will need to check your dogs in at the cargo facility of an airline that flies the entire route. Due to security regulations, you will not be able to accompany your dogs past the check in point. To inquire as to other means of transportation that will allow further access to your dogs, you will need to contact an agent in South Africa to see if this is possible as transport through a cargo-only airline must be booked through an agent. You can search for an agent in South Africa at IPATA.org.

If you need regulations to import your dogs to New Zealand, you can find them here: https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/newzealand.cfm.
    Susan