Thread: Titer test (antirabies) - Lab says "blodd does not have the right color"

Titer test (antirabies) - Lab says "blodd does not have the right color"

As all options to move back from Nicaragua to Madagascar without a titer test turned out to be not feasible (via Nairobi and JoBurg), I had to cancel all flights and reservations after 3 months of intense search and am preparing for the flight with Air France via Paris, so we need a titer test.

The vet had us wait two hours after the blood sample to be sure everything is ok, and then told us that all is good. Next day she called me "the lab says the blood does not have the right color" and we had to come once more. As this also happened to a friend of mine which makes 3 dogs who were taken a blood sample and all 3 "don't have the right color" and have to come back for another sample, I wonder what is going on.

The explanation was : my friend's dog eats too much meat (100%), my Tarzan was panicking too much (too much Adrenalin) and for my Chico "maybe his stomach was too empty" (the sample was yellowish). All dogs are in perfect health, have all required shots and came with an empty stomach - as specified by the vet.

As driving to the capital costs me everytime 80$ for the rent of a van, I am wondering what I can do to assure that I don't have to go back there 10 times, because "the blood has the wrong color"... Does this really play a role for the rabies antibody test?

Do you have any explanation what is going on? I never heard of such a problem before.

Administrator

Re: Titer test (antirabies) - Lab says "blodd does not have the right color"

Elfi - we are not veterinarians; however, we have run into this problem with dogs we are transporting. Your dogs should not eat the day of the blood sampling. They should have the sample taken on an empty stomach. Fatty foods like dog chow, especially, can interfere with the FAVN test. Any further measures should be discussed with your veterinarian.
    Susan

Thanks - interesting to know!

Of course my dogs had an empty stomach (not even drank water) before the test.
    The vet was not able to give more details, but luckily today the sample was ok and usable for the test.
    Btw they send it to the lab in Kansas you mentioned (not Texas - this is only for military people).
    Now I hope for a good result in January...
    Thanks for your explanations which are very helpful as always!

Administrator

Glad it worked out, Elfi. Let us know if we can assist further.
    Susan