Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denmark passes new ban on 13 breeds of dangerous dogs. The beginning of a trend?

Administrator

Denmark passes new ban on 13 breeds of dangerous dogs. The beginning of a trend?

Denmark recently passed a ban on 13 breeds of dangerous dogs: Pitbull Terrier, Tosa Inu, American Staffordshire, Fila Brasileiro, Dogo Argentino, American Bulldog, Boerbel, Kangal, Central Asian Ovtcharka, Caucasian Ovtcharka, Southern Russian Ovtcharka, Tornjak and Sarplaninac.

Although there are many breeds deemed as dangerous banned in the EU, this is the most comprehensive and specific list to date.

Does this mark the trend toward more breed specific legislation? Is it responsible to single out breedssuch as pit bulls because they have been represented as being agressive in highly publicized news stories?

We have friends that have American Staffordshires and also American Bulldogs and it's my belief that the problems with these dogs have more to do with owners than with the animal themselves. These dogs have been around young children all of their lives, are very well socialized and are just lovely, well behaved animals - but I was talking to the owners of my local Doggy Day Care and they said that they have to be extremely careful with some of these breeds - especially if they haven't been very well socialized when they were young - because they're just not used to being around other animals and can react poorly.

Due to bad publicity, most of these breeds will never be fully trusted or publicly acceptable. Any dog, no matter the breed, can be a good dog though. Having an outright ban will make pet travel more difficult, but something you might be able to do is ask your veterinarian or major pet stores about a "Good citizen" program. It's a series of tests and training that you and the dog go through, to prove they are safe to be around.

The good citizen award is not easy to get, but a friend of mine was able to get it for their pitbull/boxer mix, and it made finding a new apartment for them a lot easier. I think it has to be reacquired every year, but it might help in those prejudiced situations against a breed. Any animal you see visiting a hospital, or other care facility, likely has one of these certificates.

All I did was Google "animal good citizen award" and this was one of the websites I found. [url]http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/program.cfm[/url] Good luck!

Re: Denmark passes new ban on 13 breeds of dangerous dogs. The beginning of a trend?

i m happy to know that they did not consider dauberman that dangerous to ban

Re: Denmark passes new ban on 13 breeds of dangerous dogs. The beginning of a trend?

cause i have two dauberman dogs . . . !!!

Do you still have the original article about those breeds being banned in Denmark? I'd quite like to read the whole thing!

hochiminhvietnam

Visa is a seal or endorsement made on a passport by the proper officials of a country that entitles the bearer to apply for entry into another country at the port of admission. And a passport is issued by a national government, to identify the bearer as a citizen of the issuing country....

It seems that other countries might also take this action as a basis of formulating laws to ban dangerous breeds of dogs. It really looks as a trend setting action.

At this point there has been no action on the part of the EU regarding this issue of expanding the number of banned breeds. It is a country by country policy at this point. I have seen nothing to indicate that other countries are planning to expand on their list of banned breeds. However nearly every country is now banning the inport of a half dozen "agressive" breeds. To date the US and Canada are on a short list of countries who have not established any ban at all.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by cherylfoster View Post
    So that is good news for them who afraid of dogs and also whom who suffered problems from dogs. But dog lovers could be get upset with this ban decision Denmark airlines. Fact is that dogs are sometimes really being uncontrolled in plane. So that is relief for dog owners. All 13 breed of dogs are naturally very dangerous dogs. I am also happy for that dauberman dogs are not include in ban list.
    I'm an owner of one of these "dangerous dogs" you are talking about and you could not be more wrong if you tried. My dog is used as a therapy dog for new foster dogs I get in as he is so gentle natured and he is also a rescue from being a bait dog. He has been violently attacked (without provocation, not even looking at or near other dogs) by a Collie and 2 Boxers.

In Europe the #1 dogs responsible for vicious bites last year were the Labradoor Retriever, and Cocker Spaniel came 2nd followed by the German Shepherd. Now why are these dogs not banned??? Because they are too popular, used as police dogs, and its easier to put a picture of a pit bull in a poorly written newspaper article about a dog bite than the correct dog responsible. Media causes mass hysteria, which sells papers.