Thread: Recent incident with pit bull causes Continental Pet Safe program to change rules.

Administrator

Exclamation Recent incident with pit bull causes Continental Pet Safe program to change rules.

A recent incident at Laguardia Airport has caused Continental to re-evaluate its pet policy for transporting certain breeds in cargo. On June 23, a pit bull escaped from its cargo crate and caused minor disruption on the runway before jumping into Flushing Bay and eluding New York and New Jersey Port Authority officials for 40 minutes before capture. As a result of this incident, Continental's Pet Safe Program will be amended in several ways. They will no longer allow the following breeds in cargo after 6 months of age or 20 pounds (whichever comes first):

Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Presa Canario, Perro de Presa Canario, Dogo Argentino, Cane Corso, Fila Brasileiro, Tosa, or Tosa Ken. Additionally, Continental will be comparing all paperwork associated with the animal (health certificate, titre test, rabies vaccination, etc. to be sure that the breed reference is correct and consistent. This action is to assure the safety of the animals, passengers, and employees.

This policy change is one that owners of larger dog breeds that are considered dangerous need to be aware of when they plan their travels.

Re: Recent incident with pit bull causes Continental Pet Safe program to change rules

I have an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier, i'm guessing he falls under the category! Does anyone know where I can find a list of Airlines that fly Internationally "dangerous dogs" (Laughing as i'm typing, my dog is best mates with a kitten).

Re: Recent incident with pit bull causes Continental Pet Safe program to change rules

I am not sure of your international destination but you will have better luck with some of the foriegn flagged carriers. You may also want to send the pet as air cargo rather than as checked baggage as the air cargo rules are more lenient. The pet will travel in the same section of the cargo hold as if it were checked baggage and it can be on the same flight you are on. The process is just slightly different. You can find the rules for all the worlds airlines as well as the pet passport packages for every country at [url]www.pettravelstore.com[/url]

You wil also find the IATA compliant pet crates in that store.

Jerry

Hi ... I just spent the morning finding out what airline would take a friend's Pit mix with Sharpei. He is travelling from NY to San Jose, Costa Rica..... and here is what I found... I hope it helps you:

Delta - No breed discrimination. There are some weather restrictions. Some breeds can not travel in a day with a temperature higher than 75 degrees FH or lower than 10 degrees FH... But then, I would not want my dog to travel under those circumstances anyway.

AeroMexico - No breed discrimination

Continental.... Totally discriminating.... and they call themselves the Pet Friendliest Airline! The incident at the airport was their responsibility, so... why do the dogs have to suffer?.... Yes, it all goes back to $$$$$$ and the fear of lawsuits...

United - No breed descrimination

American Airlines - Totally discriminating

The fees vary if you check your dog as luggage but they are always cheaper than cargo. There also are other rules and regulations depending on where you are travelling, when, how (direct flight or connecting flights) and if your dog goes as cargo or luggage (i.e. If it goes as cargo, it has to travel during a period when the Customs of the receiving country is operating - No Sat or Sun, etc.) The best thing is to call well ahead of time and make sure that the airline tells you ALL the requirements they have (there are instances where you will also have to contact the consulate of the country you are travelling as they may have restrictions of their own). Also, do not believe the rep in reservations, ask to speak with someone dedicated to shipping pets (some airlines such as Delta and Continental) have dedicated numbers. People international reservation agents are not familiar with the rules in reference to breed restrictions. When I first called Delta, the int. rep told me that my friend's dog was van. It wasn't until I asked her to show me where in the website said it (she was reading the info from the website itself) that I realized that the breed was restricted to travel during very hot days (Summer, etc.) but they did not have a "breed" van in general and therefore, my friend's dog could travel in Feb from NY. She interpreted the website incorrectly... So... do not believe the first thing they say until you confirm it by reading yourself the airline regulations. The Rep appologized and told me that they do not handle this kind of questions very frequently...

Happy Tail Travel!

It seems to me a dog is much harder to transport than get visa for a person. Such times have come that pets are not welcomed in other countries, even if he is the loveliest creature in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Beasley's mum View Post
    I have an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier, i'm guessing he falls under the category! Does anyone know where I can find a list of Airlines that fly Internationally "dangerous dogs" (Laughing as i'm typing, my dog is best mates with a kitten).
    I have this exact issue right now. I am flying my blue nose pitty (who i have written as a staffy on all his papers) from canada to europe (cyprus). have you gotten any good advice for airlines?

YES! I agree this :"There also are other rules and regulations depending on where you are travelling, when, how (direct flight or connecting flights) and if your dog goes as cargo or luggage (i.e. If it goes as cargo, it has to travel during a period when the Customs of the receiving country is operating - No Sat or Sun, etc.) The best thing is to call well ahead of time and make sure that the airline tells you ALL the requirements they have (there are instances where you will also have to contact the consulate of the country you are travelling as they may have restrictions of their own). Also, do not believe the rep in reservations, ask to speak with someone dedicated to shipping pets (some airlines such as Delta and Continental) have dedicated numbers. People international reservation agents are not familiar with the rules in reference to breed restrictions. When I first called Delta, the int. rep told me that my friend's dog was van. It wasn't until I asked her to show me where in the website said it (she was reading the info from the website itself) that I realized that the breed was restricted to travel during very hot days (Summer, etc.) but they did not have a "breed" van in general and therefore, my friend's dog could travel in Feb from NY. She interpreted the website incorrectly... So... do not believe the first thing they say until you confirm it by reading yourself the airline regulations. "

Some incident happened with one of my mate went travel with his dog. The dog had bitten one of the attendant. I know they may have restrictions of their own but if any case that incident happened during air time. Could it be a single man's fault? Or it has to be prohibited beforehand. Which is which?

it is really nice post i like this info i appreciate this post keep it up.........
    Jasmine

Im travelling with my dog soon, and im so worried that hes going to be terrified. Does anyone know the actual process of what happens from when you take the dog to the airport to when you land? [url=http://www.testking.net/testking-640-722.htm]640-722 vce exam[/url] What do they stay in on the plane? a box? is it really small? And can it be dangerous for dogs.. also its going to be around about 5 hours... and then on another plane for about an hour, how do you think my 6 month and half bichon frise puppy will cope? Im nervous for him. Any experiences?
    Are you interested in [url=http://www.test-king.com/exams/200-120.htm]200-120 braindumps[/url] itil? Get our self paced [url=http://www.test-king.com/exams/220-802.htm]Test king[/url] ccna and passguide itil study packages to pass your [url=http://www.rasmussen.edu/]rasmussen[/url] without any difficulty in [url=http://www.usuhs.mil/]www.usuhs.mil[/url] lsat.