Thread: Traveling with dog from DC to Malawi via Ethiopia

Traveling with dog from DC to Malawi via Ethiopia

Hello everyone,

I am moving to Malawi for a year with my 10 pound shih tzu (who will fly in the cabin with me). She is confirmed on my flights and I have the veterinary certificate and the import permit for Malawi. My question is do I also need any extra forms for Ethiopia? We'll have a 4 hour layover there but won't be leaving the airport or changing airlines (flying Ethiopian Air if that matters).

The airline and Ethiopian embassy have been tremendously unhelpful so I'd figure I'd seek out other help.

Thanks!

Administrator

Re: Traveling with dog from DC to Malawi via Ethiopia

Hello - as long as you are flying with Ethiopian Air in and out of Ethiopia, you should be fine. Don't plan on leaving the secure area of the airport.
    Susan

Hi everyone - I am going to be travelling with my cat from DC via Addis to Malawi in about three months on Ethiopian, and plan to take her in the cabin. I plan to get the import permit for Malawi, but had the same question regarding the transit through Ethiopia airport - is a permit for Ethiopia required? From the above response it sounds like it isn't, but does anyone have more recent experience? Also, can anyone recommend a pet transit company in the US that can help with applying for the Malawi permit from the MoA?

Administrator

Tana - if you are flying in and out of Ethiopia on the same airline, your cat will transit the country. We do not believe a transit permit will be required; however, your airline should be able to assist you with that. If you are changing airline companies in Ethiopia, your cat will need to clear customs and enter the country. Here is the name of an agent that serves Addis Ababa who may be able to assist with the import permit for Malawi: Richard Chinawa, Customer Focus Manager, Ocean Air Freight Services, P.O Box 1812, Lilongwe, Malawi. Cell: +265 888 308 087 / 995 651 818
    Susan