Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any airlines allow you to buy a seat for a pet?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do any airlines allow you to buy a seat for a pet?

Seems to me that if I were to buy a seat for my dog (a small Sheltie), have her in a kennel or a harness that would keep her from flying around should the plane suddenly drop that this should be allowed. She would be sitting between my husband and I. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Re: Do any airlines allow you to buy a seat for a pet?

At the present time there are no airlines that will allow you to purchase a seat for your pet and place its carrier on the seat. The carrier must go under the seat in front of you which means that the pet must be very small. Generally pets weighing over 15 pounds and that are over 11 inches tall cannot fit under the seat.

It is likely that you pet will have to travel as checked baggage in an IATA compliant pet crate. The pets are placed in a special section of the cargo hold where the temperature and pressure is the same as in the cabin. If you are flying out of a very cold city an acclimation certificate may be required. You can find everything you need for the same and comfortable transport of your pet at [url]www.pettravelstore.com[/url]

Jerry

Thanks Jerry for the info. I've read that in most of the airlines but I don't know why you can't buy a seat. What is the difference between a dog under the seat for a small price or a dog on the seat for full price. They can't say it is due to allergies as the small dogs are allowed under the seat. We live in Vancouver BC and have a place in Phoenix. West Jet does not allow dogs in the cargo in Phoenix airport period so the only way we get there is by driving - twice a year.
    I'm wondering if I wrote to West Jet and pleaded my case if I would get anywhere - maybe a first????!!!!!
    Thanks
    Linda

I think pets may be allowed to travel by airlines and special seats should be made available for those wanting their pets to be with them.

I think that airlines from canada to uk do not let even small dogs to travel under seat is this tru

At one time many airlines offered child prices as well as senior citizen prices, but I am not aware of any domestic airlines that offer reduced airfares. I think most, if not all, only allow lap sitters if the child is under 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    At the present time there are no airlines that will allow you to purchase a seat for your pet and place its carrier on the seat. The carrier must go under the seat in front of you which means that the pet must be very small. Generally pets weighing over 15 pounds and that are over 11 inches tall cannot fit under the seat.

It is likely that you pet will have to travel as checked baggage in an IATA compliant pet crate. The pets are placed in a special section of the cargo hold where the temperature and pressure is the same as in the cabin. If you are flying out of a very cold city an acclimation certificate may be required. You can find everything you need for the same and comfortable transport of your pet at [url]www.pettravelstore.com[/url]

Jerry
    Why do airlines and the FAA hate dogs? If someone wants to buy an extra seat for a pet carrier, and strap it into the seat-belt system so that it does not move, why punish those with pets larger than a teacup dog? If the airlines and the FAA truly understand that we view our four legged family members as family then why relegate them to cargo as if they were mere pieces of furniture...

Not the all but few have allowed to do travel with their pets and they have made special cabens in plane for the pets.Because major destination countries do not allw pets that is why only few air lines componies are allowing travel with pet.
    Joseph Stien

Nowadays some airlines allow traveling with a pet. All you need is an emotional support dog certificate from a professional attorney. But that certificate is only for a people who are legally disabled and the dog performs one or more tasks for them or if their behaviors that mitigate their disability.
    Peace, Paws, Love

Some airlines allow you to take small pets with you but in their carrier and they must be comfortable in their carrier and you can bring them along with you under your seat.