Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing pet poodle and terrier from the Philippines to the USA

Hi!

I'd like to seek everyone's advice and suggestions on the steps I need to take in order for me to bring my two dogs (a toy poodle and a yorkie) to the US(Maryland to be specific). My Immigrant visa has been approved and I want to bring them with me as they are like my children. I'm a bit anxious and paranoid as well as this is the first time I'll be travelling with dogs. Their vaccinations are all up to date as well

Here are some questions that I have:

1. What airlines allow pets on flights from Manila to the US?
    2.What paperwork do I need to obtain to clear my dogs to travel?
    3.Is it necessary to have microchips to be put on my dogs for them to travel?
    4.Is it safe for small dogs to fly in cargo?And do airlines allow two dogs to share one carrier?

I hope someone can help me with this and please feel free to give other inputs as well. Another concern of mine is the procedures on how to check in my dogs at the Manila airport, as the Manila airport personnel have been quite infamous for mishandling baggage and extortion.

Thank you!!!

Re: Bringing pet poodle and terrier from the Philippines to the USA

Originally posted by jmagajes View Post
    Hi!

I'd like to seek everyone's advice and suggestions on the steps I need to take in order for me to bring my two dogs (a toy poodle and a yorkie) to the US(Maryland to be specific). My Immigrant visa has been approved and I want to bring them with me as they are like my children. I'm a bit anxious and paranoid as well as this is the first time I'll be travelling with dogs. Their vaccinations are all up to date as well

Here are some questions that I have:

1. What airlines allow pets on flights from Manila to the US?
    2.What paperwork do I need to obtain to clear my dogs to travel?
    3.Is it necessary to have microchips to be put on my dogs for them to travel?
    4.Is it safe for small dogs to fly in cargo?And do airlines allow two dogs to share one carrier?

I hope someone can help me with this and please feel free to give other inputs as well. Another concern of mine is the procedures on how to check in my dogs at the Manila airport, as the Manila airport personnel have been quite infamous for mishandling baggage and extortion.

Thank you!!!
    + Just to add both my dogs have their updated vaccines and anti-rabies shots. Our flight to MD will be on Nov. 21 this year.

Comment

Jmagajes - it is always better to fly directly to your destination country. You may want to consider Philippine Airlines into LAX or SFO as they fly the route from Manila non-stop. You can clear customs at LAX, take a rest, spend the night, then fly to Maryland on a domestic flight the next day. Your dogs will need proof of rabies vaccination and a current rabies vaccination to enter the US. You can find regulations to export your dogs from the Philippines here (step #9): https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/philippines.cfm. We are unsure whether your dogs must be microchipped to leave the Philippines (they recently changed the laws on importing pets) but chipping is not necessary to enter the US.

Hundreds of thousands of animals fly each year in the cargo hold. Acclimating your pet to its carrier is the most important thing you can do before travel. Your dogs will fly with you as checked baggage. It is doubtful if PA will allow both of them in the same crate unless they are small. You can confirm that with their reservations office.
      Susan

Comment

Hi Susan,

Thank you very much for the info! I'll consider this route that you have recommended. Lastly, would you happen to know if there are still any airlines that allow small dogs to travel in cabin? I've checked Delta and United and it seems they do not allow in cabin flights even for small dogs

Comment

United and Delta are bound by Animall Welfare Laws and will not allow pets in the cabin on longer flights. Look for a non-US-based airline like Lufthansa, Air France or KLM. Just know that Air France will require that you recheck your pet on every leg of your flight. You will need to be prepared to enter the layover country.
          Susan

Comment

Working...
          X