Transporting a dog from Melbourne to New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting a dog from Melbourne to New York

Hello can anyone help I am taking my dog from Melbourne to New York and i have been advised that the only way to complete this task is to go through a pet freight forwarder which is about $3K AUS is there any other way of completing this task if you do things yourself or is there anyway anyone knows of to send him more cheaply?

Re: Transporting a dog from Melbourne to New York

This is an airline requirement, not a requirement of Australia. You may want to try another airline. There are export requirements when exporting a pet from Australia. You can find them here: www.agriculture.gov.au/export/controlled-goods/live-animals/
    Susan

Comment

Hi Im new here and so up set. I am flying home to the US from Australia. My husband passed away a couple months ago and baby my little dog and I have to go. I have been told and read online from airlines that animals from Australia have to be freight or cargo. According to a transporter who wants almost 4000 she will not be flying with me but on a United airways. I really need her with me in the cabin and so does she. She is very scared of unusual noises and people. Has anyone been able to get pass this rule? I have to book my flight in the next few days. I don't know what to do. I am disabled so the flight is hard and risky enough without having to worry about all of this. She weighs about 10 lbs.

Comment

Sgreenway - it is a requirement of the Australian government that pets arrive as air cargo unless they are medically certified and trained service animals traveling with a disabled passenger. The reason for this is because your pup will need to serve quarantine in Melbourne when it arrives from the Keeling Islands, New Zealand or Norfolk Island. You can find requirements to import your dog to Australia here: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/australia.cfm. It will need a pet crate like one of these: https://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-crates/. Try to get it acclimated to its crate as soon as you can.

It is not inexpensive to import a pet to Australia. Not only is flying air cargo more expensive, there is a hefty import fee, inspection fees and quarantine fees.

Comment

I'm leaving Australia back home to the US. Most countries there is no problem having a small pet with you. She is the only thing that keeps me going. My husbands kids are making my life miserable and want me gone. I'm assuming they don't like the will because 18 years everything was fine. I'm a nervous wreck. Trust me its not much especially for what they have put me through. I just have to go and don't know how. I'm afraid she will become dehydrated because she will not drink unless I'm with her.I can fly her as a comfort dog but Australia does not recognize that as a help dog. Please has anyone gotten around this or have any ideas. Ive even looked into taking a freight ship home lol. 25 days. My sister said she thinks that's horribly unsafe.

Comment

Sgreenway - you can try United, but all the other airlines we checked that fly out of MEL do not accept pets in the cabin and it is likely United will not as the flight between MEL and LAX is 14 hours and US-based airlines must comply with Animal Welfare regulations that recommend that pets fly in the cabin only on flights up to 8 or 9 hours. Flying may be the most concerning way to travel for pet owners, but it is the quickest way and millions of pets do it every year. We tell pet owners to get good equipment, hardware to fasten the top and bottom of the crate together and use twist ties on all 4 corners of the crate. Also, get the largest crate water bowl you can that will attach to the door and consider also using a water bottle. We have all of these items at https://www.pettravelstore.com. Get your crate as soon as possible and introduce it to your pet at home as soon as you can. The longer your pet spends in the crate, the more it will feel safe in it.
            Susan

Comment

I plan to travel to LAX from the Philippines with my service/emotional support dog in-cabin. I already have the list of the documentations needed to bring furbaby out of the country and will secure those prior to my intended date of departure. But I'm worried about us arriving at LAX POE, does anyone know how strict they are when it comes to travelers with a dog? Any inputs will be appreciated. I wanna cover all my bases to make sure the furbaby and I cam get past through customs and immig smoothly. Thanks. Hoping for your responses.

Comment

Working...
              X