Rabbit from Asia to Uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbit from Asia to Uk

I had a huge amount of difficulty trying to find out how to bring my rabbit back to the UK. I thought perhaps if I share my experience it might help someone else.

So basically I was trying to avoid the stress and cost of quarantine for my rabbit. We found the easiest way was to fly with Malaysia airlines who accepted her as special excess baggage. It was much cheaper than emirates, who fly pets as cargo and insist they are fed and watered when in transit (not necessary with a bun who can have days of food and a water bottle in the crate). We then flew to Amsterdam airport. They simply passed the box to us and customs didn't even glance at the box let alone need any papers.

We the took a train to the ferry at hook of holland which is a straight forward journey. The Stena Line ferry insists that animals are put in kennels. This was the only bit of the journey where the rabbit looked seriously unhappy. There were dogs going mental for hours. We snuck her out into the hall way a couple of times just to let her calm down and hear our voices. Customs checks on either side of the ferry didn't ask for any documentation. A vet checking animals as they boarded the ferry just looked at her in the cage and asked if she was healthy but that was it. Then we took the train to London.

At no point did anyone check vaccinations, microchip...nothing at all.

Now I'm not advocating that people do this, and it would undoubtably have been stressful for her. However, we took her on daily short cat journeys and left her in her crate in unfamiliar places in the months before we traveled. The first time she shook with fear, but she was so chilled on our final journey that she was eating ***** as we waited for the train.

We are now in the weird situation of having a jet lagged rabbit who crashes out at about midday. But she made it home which is great.

Good luck to anyone else in a similar situation.
    A

Re: Rabbit from Asia to Uk

We really appreciate your post. Wondering what country you were returning to the UK from? Must note that the UK publishes quarantine requirements for bunnies entering the UK from non-EU countries. Would this have applied in your case had you flown into LHR?
    Thanks again. Susan

Comment

Hi. We were coming from Bangladesh to the uk with a rescued rabbit from Bangladesh. We couldn't have gone directly into the uk without quarantine, which would have been too expensive and stressful for the rabbit. I checked with defra that there was no minimum length of stay in eu required by law, and there is none. So no laws were broken, and the rabbit made it home. I can now get her all the injections she needs, that are not available in Bangladesh!

Comment

Replacing a rabbit from Asia to Uk is quiet difficult because during the journey the animals may not feel good. Better to get some tips from the experienced doctors and travel with care.

Comment

Originally posted by johanjames View Post
          Replacing a rabbit from Asia to Uk is quiet difficult because during the journey the animals may not feel good. Better to get some tips from the experienced doctors and travel with care.
          Yes, I agree with you but may you suggest anyone doctor or travel agency which is good?

Comment

Originally posted by johanjames View Post
            Yes, I agree with you but may you suggest anyone doctor or travel agency which is good?

Comment

Working...
            X