Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definite thread for answers on going with a cat (from Europe) to the UK

Hello all,

who would have guessed moving a cat to the UK would be one of the most complicated tasks in modern times?

My partner is living in Bucharest and wants to move to the UK. Last year around September she got a one month old kitten.
    So now there is a 7 month old cat to bring into the UK from Bucharest.
    I've seen from UK government site that there are only a couple of approved routes from Bucharest to the UK.
    I called British Airways the told me that carriage of animals into a UK airport must be done as cargo and that an agent must be used to arrange this. The customer services person I spoke to (Anthony) said that he'd heard airpets where one of the best value agents that arrange pets as cargo into the UK.
    I called airpets they quoted 1000-1500 GBP to arrange for the cat to fly into the UK.
    But that they require it be done through an agent that deals with Romania & they used moveone.
    I emailed moveoneinc, they quoted 1900EU.
    This all looks excessive when contrasted with the cost of my partner flying one way mid-may to the UK which comes to around 100 GBP inclusive of extra baggage in the hold.

I realise I could hire a company to move the animal ground... I believe this doesn't halve the cost.
    I understand I could drive the pet myself or take trains. I don't think there are bus routes in Europe that allow you to take a pet in a carrier on the bus or coach.
    Either way I understand that my goal will be to reach either Hoek or Dieppe, to take those Ferries to the UK as James says in the post (which for ease of referrence) I quote below:

"Only two ferry companies will take dogs across the Channel without a car. These are Stena Line from Hoek van Holland to Harwich and LD Lines from Dieppe to Newhaven."

Any advice?

The comments by james ensor seem to bear a lot of promise for doing this the most cost-effective way possible. Can anyone confirm what he states?

Thank you kindly,

sadmeow

Originally posted by james ensor
    Re: Costs for taking a pet to England
    07-06-2013, 10:42 AM

Only a few airlines are licensed by the UK to fly animals into Britain. These include BA and charter airlines such as Thomson. But because of the restricted market, they apply monopolistic charges. Thomson required 550 one way for a six hour flight from Birmingham. BA is even more expensive. Dogs have to be in crates, and travel in the cargo hold if they weigh more than 5kg (12 lbs). At Birmingham dogs cannot be loaded at the passenger check-in but have to go to the cargo terminal, which was closed, at the early hour needed to load the dog and catch the flight.

An alternative that we have used is Brussels. Amsterdam is also possible. The flight prices to these airports for a 6 hour flight was just €50. There were no additional charges from DEFRA or anyone else once the dogs have an European passport, which can be provided by a vet in any EU country. They must also have a worming treatment and inspection by a vet between one and five days of arrival in the UK. This can be done at the departure point or in transit and may cost from €20 to €50. We paid €35 in Be**ium.

The difficult part is getting back from a Continental airport to England, if you do not have your own car. Eurostar trains will not take dogs. Car hire one-way is ridiculaously expensive and could cost €1,000. Only two ferry companies will take dogs across the Channel without a car. These are Stena Line from Hoek van Holland to Harwich and LD Lines from Dieppe to Newhaven.

Stena Line has comfortable kennels with closed circuit tv so that you can watch your dog and a code entry system that allows you to take them on to the dog deck for a pee at any time. It gives an excellent service with people who are very ready to help with the extra baggage such as dog crates.

Getting to Hoek by train will be easier from Amsterdam than from Brussels, which required three seperate trains and cost €100 for two people with two dogs. The main difficulaty is that intermediate stations have no trolleys and they are difficult to find at Hoek. Dog crates are cumbersome to handle.

From southern Spain and Portugal, there is a dog bus every two weeks which charges around 300 to collect and deliver a dog to the doorstep. it is operated by Pet Chauffers of Eastbourne, Kent. Owners can then fly cheaply and send the dog by a slower route.

Any dog entering England or the EU must have a rabies certificate, which needs a blood test made by any EU lab a monnth after vaccination and a three month delay to ensure that rabies does not develop. Certain countries such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand are certified rabies free.
    http://www.pettravel.com/forum/showthread.php/54-Costs-for-taking-a-pet-to-England/page2

Re: Definite thread for answers on going with a cat (from Europe) to the UK

I am also puzzled / intrigued by Jerry's post below that seems to say I don't have to use an agent if I am on the same flight as the animal, as using an, 'IPATA agent' does as he realises, 'add considerably to the cost.'

Originally posted by jerry
    Re: Kitten to the UK advice please
    07-15-2011, 01:49 PM

If you are traveling with your pet then you should be able to handle the process yourself. You will need to travel on the same BA flight as the pet. If you are not comfortable with the process then using an IPATA agent makes sense but it will add considerably to the cost.
    Remember the cat must be micro chipped before it is vaccinted for rabies. If you need the complete instructions and forms for taking your pet into the UK after January 1 they are available here: http://pettravelstore.com/products/Pet-Passport-United-Kingdom-No-Quarantine.html
    jerry

Comment

Hi Sadmeow - James' email is very informative, but not correct regarding the need for titer tests. Your kitty will, however, need a microchip, then a rabies vaccination no sooner than 21 days prior to entering the UK. Get a blue pet passport from your vet and have it updated within 10 days of travel.

There are more just several airlines approved to enter the UK that serve the route from Bucharest to London Heathrow. Have you tried LOT Polish Airlines? They are an approved carrier although they have one short stop in Warsaw. KLM cargo is also approved to transport pets to LHR and so is Air France (they share the same cargo services as KLM). Lufthansa also serves the route and is an approved carrier and so is Swiss World Cargo. All of these airlines have short stops in EU cities, but one of them may work for you.

It is true that the airlines will need to have an agent take your kitty from the airplane to the Animal Reception Center where you will pick it up which does add to the cost. Many of them have partnered with agents, but you can arrange your own. JCS Livestock may be able to help. You can find their details at IPATA.org. Click on Search for a Pet Transporter and enter LHR in the airport code box.

Hope this helps. Susan

Comment

What Jerry is saying here is that you can let the airlines handle the agent and work it into the ticket cost or you can hire one yourself. In any case, your pet must be picked up from the airplane and transported to the Animal Reception Center by a licensed agent. Costs for this service do vary.

Comment

Hi,
          I can see on the Defra site that the 21 days minimum requirement states that day 0 is the day of the vaccination, is this the same in other EU countries. I am picking up my kitten who will be 15 weeks old when we travel back to the Netherlands and I want to bring him with me on the flight as baggage. The Dutch site says simply 21 days after the vaccination, the day I would travel on would be 21 days including the vaccination day, will they let me in or reject me?

Comment

ulkexpat - do not count the day of the office visit in the 21 days. It is the same for all EU countries.
            Susan

Comment

Thanks for that Susan. I guess I'll be changing my flight by a day then.

Comment

Sorry about that. Better than quarantine. Hope it all goes smoothly.

Comment

Definitely better than quarantine. I am nervous that the whole process will be a nightmare from arriving at the airport all the way tp getting through schipol.

Comment

Don't think so. So many people travel to and within the EU. They do stick to the rules, but try to work with travelers. Hopefully, it will go smoothly for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X