Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing rabbit from Dubai to UK or Germany

Hello,

I live in Dubai and want to move back to the UK. However, I have a pet rabbit and have read that she would need 6 months quarantine to enter the UK. She is a house rabbit and isn't used to being in a cage so I am a bit worried about the stress this might put on her on top of the travel stress. I have also thought that maybe it would be more humane to leave her at an animal shelter here in Dubai but I visited the place a few weeks ago and thought it all looked rather sad. So many people get pets here in Dubai and then abandon them when they leave and I really don't want to be that person.

Sooo, I have been trying to think about loopholes for avoiding quarantine in the UK. One possibility is to move to Germany first or possibly leave her with family there. Has anyone else tried bringing a pet rabbit into the UK through another EU country? Is quarantine also required in Germany or France when bringing a rabbit from the United Arab Emirates? If not, then would I need to keep her in Germany (or maybe France) for six months before moving her to the UK, or is it theoretically possible to pass her off as a German rabbit and bring her to the UK without quarantine in a shorter time period?

Over the past couple of years I have read a million different things about this, all saying different things, so really want to find out the facts (apparently the embassies don't deal with this).

Also, does anyone know how much quarantine costs for a pet rabbit in the UK (for the full six months)? I have struggled to find any info about rabbits on this. Also, what are the quarantine conditions like for a rabbit? Would she be in a tiny cage etc? And also are pet owners allowed to visit etc? One possibility I was thinking of was that if I do eventually have to put her into quarantine, I could get another rabbit friend for her from the animal shelter here so that she has someone to go though it all with to minimize stress etc. If they were to be kept in the same cage at the quarantine place, how much extra would it cost for two rabbits etc?

Sorry for the million questions! lol I need to get this figured out and I'm finding that nobody seems to know much about rabbit travel, so hopefully someone out there in web land does!

Thanks!!

Re: Bringing rabbit from Dubai to UK or Germany

You are correct if you take the rabbit direct to the UK from the UAE then six months quarantine will be required. It is possible to take the pet into another EU Country without quarantine.
    The following is the regulations for the UK

The import of rabbits is controlled by the Rabies (Importation of Dogs, Cats and Other Mammals) Order 1974 (as amended), and by the Non-Indigenous Rabbits (Prohibition of Importation and Keeping) Order 1954 which prohibits the importation into, or keeping within, Great Britain of all species of rabbits, other than the European species (Oryctolagus cuniculus).

Movement between European Union (EU) countries or into the EU from Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and the Vatican are not subject to any requirement with regard to rabies. This means that currently there are no requirements for these animals when entering the UK from any of these countries. The EU may impose conditions on the movement of these animals at a later date. If conditions are imposed this website will be updated.

When imported into the UK from any non-EU country, other than those listed in the previous paragraph, pets must be licensed into quarantine for 6 months. This requirement may be reviewed by the EU at a later date. Commission Decision 2003/459/EC prohibits the import into the EU of prairie dogs originating in or travelling from the USA. It also prohibits the import of certain rodents and squirrels originating in or travelling from certain countries of the sub-Saharan region of Africa.

The maximum number of all types of pet animals (not only rabbits and rodents) each person may bring into the EU from most non-EU listed countries is 5. This rule does not apply to animals brought from Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland or the Vatican. For details of transporting more than 5 animals into the EU from countries except those named in the previous sentence contact Animal Health International Animal Health Division on 01245 454860 or by e-mail: quarantine@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk.

Comment

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your response and sorry for my very late reply. My plan has changed slightly as DEFRA informed me that there is no need to spend six months in the EU before continuing on to the UK. (I'm not sure if this is a mistake though! It almost sounds too good to be true. They said that there is no time limit at all. Well I have it in writing so I guess that's good!).

This being the case, my plan is now to fly her to Amsterdam (has to be in cargo unfortunately) and take the ferry from Hoek Van Holland to Harwich.

So my question is - as there are officially "no requirements" for taking a rabbit to another country within Europe, will she need to have a vets certificate from Holland or does "no requirements" mean she can move through the border with no paperwork required? Also does she need to be microchipped etc?

I have also read that there are no requirements when bringing a rabbit into Holland from any other country outside of the EU. What does that mean in regards to paper work etc? Does that mean no paperwork or just no vaccines?? Does she need to be microchipped and it so, is that an airline requirement or customs requirement?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi All
        I am also looking at bringing my house rabbit Buster back to the UK from the USA, and trying to avoid quarantine. I have seen other comments about going through the Netherlands and onto the UK but it sounds like there should be a catch!
        Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Emily you said you had it in writing from DEFRA - would you be willing to provide a copy of that to me? Or let me know who you spoke to?

Not sure if you've flown your rabbit before, but mine handled the flight across from the UK to the USA really well - he's far from a nervous rabbit, but I was so worried about him. Turns out I needn't have bothered, he was cool as a cucumber!! If you need any advice I'm happy to help!

Comment

Hi Emily and Clare,
          It's interesting to read your problems but I hope that they have now been resolved for you and your rabbit. My family and myself are animal lovers and considering moving back to UK from Bali, Indonesia. We wonder how insurmountable the requirements are in respect of documents are etc etc for bringing a rabbit because there is a real lack of information. Is it a requirement for a rabbit to spend a period of time on Netherlands soil if one tries to enter UK via the EU? It would be greatly appreciated if you could share your experiences with us. Thank you.

I would add that we have contacted DEFRA. It seems that DEFRA have no requirements for the the rabbit but the 4 month quarantine is non negotiable. A quarantine place told us that no microchip or rabies test was required but myxomatosis and Viral Haemorhagic Disease vaccinations were needed, on landing, at a cost of about 80 before quarantine. DEFRA indicated that 'there are currently no certification requirements for rabbits and most rodents entering the UK from any countries mentioned above'. The contries mentioned above being EU countries plus Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and the Vatican.

Comment

Hi i give you solution if you want to move or relocate any country contact with expatmoves.com. He gives 4 Free Quotes you can choose.

Comment

Hello Emily - first of all, if you imported your rabbit directly from Dubai to the UK, then the quarantine period would be 4 months, not 6 months. We have heard from other people who have entered the UK from another EU country with a rabbit without quarantine, but they were returning to the UK after a trip. Leaving your rabbit in France with family certainly would be a thought. If you are traveling with it, your rabbit can travel under the Pet Travel Scheme regulations and there is no quarantine when entering France. However, when you decide to import your bunny, it will be a lot easier if you are traveling with it then if it is traveling alone.
              Susan

Comment

Thank you admin

Comment

You are correct if you take the rabbit direct to the UK from the UAE then six months quarantine will be required. It is possible to take the pet into another EU Country without quarantine.
                  The following is the regulations for the UK

The import of rabbits is controlled by the Rabies (Importation of Dogs, Cats and Other Mammals) Order 1974 (as amended), and by the Non-Indigenous Rabbits (Prohibition of Importation and Keeping) Order 1954 which prohibits the importation into, or keeping within, Great Britain of all species of rabbits, other than the European species (Oryctolagus cuniculus).

Comment

Working...
                  X