Pet travel from Mumbai - India to Edmonton-Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet travel from Mumbai - India to Edmonton-Canada

We traveled with our (then) 9 month old lab puppy - Yuki, from India to Canada this January'13.
    Yuki had a safe journey and is now enjoying the snow here.
    We traveled with Lufthansa and Westjet.
    Documents needed for the travel -
    1. Microchip and Ownership certificate from KCI.
    2. All vaccination certificates
    3. Letter from your vet (max 3 days prior) that your pet is fit for travel.
    4. IMP: Certificate from the Ministry of Agriculture India. The Vet will check all certificates from your family vet and will also physically examine your pet. This also cannot be done in advance, has to be done max 7 days prior to the travel.
    Also, you need confirm with your flight carriers about the pet ...3 days in advance.

About the journey-

This was the first time we traveled with him in a plane hence the journey was full of anxiety.
    Also, below points added to the worry -
    1. Long journey - 3 flights of 9 hrs + 9 hrs + 2 hrs and including the overall wait/car travel time etc. we were travelling for almost 36 hrs.
    2. Large breed hence not in cabin - So that means he had to be all alone through the flight To add to this because our travel was uncertain, we got the crate just the evening before the actual travel so he was not used to it.
    3. Drastic Climate change - We came from 24C to -30C !

Starting from confirming Yuki on the Lufthansa and Westjet flight...everything was dramatic!
    My hubby had confirmed with Lufthansa ...next we had to confirm with Westjet... when we called Westjet ...they didn't see the note from Lufthansa in system.
    So when I called Lufthansa next day... there was some technical outage with their system and hence no entry!
    Anyway instead of doing our last minute shopping/packing ...we were constantly on the phone making sure Yuki can travel with us.

Our vet had prescribed a natural calmer so I guess, Yuki must be almost asleep in the first flight. However I remember when we finally settled in our seats, I was almost in tears thinking of how he may be scared of all the noise the take off made.

We had some time before we boarded our second flight so we inquired at the front desk of that flight if we could meet Yuki. But the lady at the counter said it will not be possible. Looking at our faces she must have guessed, we are really stressed, so she said - don't worry he is in good hands. We we went back to the seating area - and again I was a cry baby - I was like - I just want to see him!
    So when we boarded the flight, I asked the hostess to confirm he was boarded.
    And guess what - they said - we can confirm that there are 2 dogs however we cant confirm if its your's!
    So you can only imagine what that did to us, but no crying this time...had to be positive and trust God.

Our 3rd flight was our port of entry to Canada - Vancouver.
    So we had to go through immigration.
    And here is where we changed carriers from Lufthansa to Westjet.
    So that meant they would give him back to us here and we would have to check him in to Westjet flight.
    But we were herded to the immigration line.
    So now, finally when we can see him ...again had to wait till immigration was done.
    So we waited, although it was small line ...each minute seemed to be stretched.
    And more than worrying about if the immigration officer is going to give us stamp...my mind and heart were with Yuki.
    So finally our turn came ...we stepped forward at the immigration desk ...so its now going to be just 10 minutes or less!
    ...but the lights go off ...all systems down ...
    who would have imagined that!
    So that added to another 30 minutes!
    While we were there ...an officer from Canadian Agriculture department came to the immigration desk, asking for who is with the dog!
    He told us he was fine ...so a sigh of relief.
    As soon as the immigration formality was done, I rushed to the carousel where Yuki was supposed to be.
    My husband completed the formalities for Yuki at the Ministry of Agriculture desk.

There he was our little puppy, looking so lost!
    He is such a cutie pie, always attracts people so when I went there, a gentleman had given him water and was with him.
    Yuki was all excited to see us especially my hubby.

But we still couldn't take him out of the crate as we knew it would be very difficult to make him go back! [We had to eventually for the security scan!]
    We went to the Westjet desk and paid to book in to an earlier flight.
    We just couldnt delay more!
    I must add here that I found Westjet staff more friendly towards Yuki and also that its way cheaper than Air Canada. 56$ vs 400$+

Ok. So now we are at the end of our journey. Super jet lagged and extremely tired.
    We landed at Edmonton...finally.
    Oh but wait .. there is an announcement ....due to the power outage at Vancouver all baggage may not have arrived!
    So again ....now they couldn't tell if Yuki has arrived with us or no!

So we went....for the long wait at the carousel. 2 of our bags had not arrived. And at the carousel where Yuki was expected ...no sign of him.
    I was just walking up and down between the two carousel....waiting ...praying...plzzz.
    And there he came...thank you God

Yuki was very anxious ...so while we filled up form for the baggage cliam...and getting the cab ...we were standing as close to his crate as possible ...he didn't want us out sight...probably worried we would chuck him in another plane ...

All in all we all arrive at our hotel ....in freezing cold ...
    We got Yuki out the crate...did a little walk...he peed almost 5 times ...twice in suite when we went up!
    But that was ok ...he was fine ...was with us!

We are really PROUD of him...such a brave kid...

NOTE: If anyone wants any info for travelling from India to Canada ...would love to help.

Re: Pet travel from Mumbai - India to Edmonton-Canada

Hello Mam,

Would like to clear my few doubts, I am also a resident of Mumbai, India and flying to Toronto, Canada ,planning to travel alongwith my lab (10months old) in this month ending.

I wanted to ask you that your pet's immigration at canada airport was lengthy, means I came to know that they don't allow pets in low temperature, is it the fact because airlines is allowing.

Also, wanted to know that from where I can get Certificate from the Ministry of Agriculture India.

Please guide me as I need your guidance.

Regards
    Harpreet kaur

Originally posted by yukimom View Post
    We traveled with our (then) 9 month old lab puppy - Yuki, from India to Canada this January'13.
    Yuki had a safe journey and is now enjoying the snow here.
    We traveled with Lufthansa and Westjet.
    Documents needed for the travel -
    1. Microchip and Ownership certificate from KCI.
    2. All vaccination certificates
    3. Letter from your vet (max 3 days prior) that your pet is fit for travel.
    4. IMP: Certificate from the Ministry of Agriculture India. The Vet will check all certificates from your family vet and will also physically examine your pet. This also cannot be done in advance, has to be done max 7 days prior to the travel.
    Also, you need confirm with your flight carriers about the pet ...3 days in advance.

About the journey-

This was the first time we traveled with him in a plane hence the journey was full of anxiety.
    Also, below points added to the worry -
    1. Long journey - 3 flights of 9 hrs + 9 hrs + 2 hrs and including the overall wait/car travel time etc. we were travelling for almost 36 hrs.
    2. Large breed hence not in cabin - So that means he had to be all alone through the flight To add to this because our travel was uncertain, we got the crate just the evening before the actual travel so he was not used to it.
    3. Drastic Climate change - We came from 24C to -30C !

Starting from confirming Yuki on the Lufthansa and Westjet flight...everything was dramatic!
    My hubby had confirmed with Lufthansa ...next we had to confirm with Westjet... when we called Westjet ...they didn't see the note from Lufthansa in system.
    So when I called Lufthansa next day... there was some technical outage with their system and hence no entry!
    Anyway instead of doing our last minute shopping/packing ...we were constantly on the phone making sure Yuki can travel with us.

Our vet had prescribed a natural calmer so I guess, Yuki must be almost asleep in the first flight. However I remember when we finally settled in our seats, I was almost in tears thinking of how he may be scared of all the noise the take off made.

We had some time before we boarded our second flight so we inquired at the front desk of that flight if we could meet Yuki. But the lady at the counter said it will not be possible. Looking at our faces she must have guessed, we are really stressed, so she said - don't worry he is in good hands. We we went back to the seating area - and again I was a cry baby - I was like - I just want to see him!
    So when we boarded the flight, I asked the hostess to confirm he was boarded.
    And guess what - they said - we can confirm that there are 2 dogs however we cant confirm if its your's!
    So you can only imagine what that did to us, but no crying this time...had to be positive and trust God.

Our 3rd flight was our port of entry to Canada - Vancouver.
    So we had to go through immigration.
    And here is where we changed carriers from Lufthansa to Westjet.
    So that meant they would give him back to us here and we would have to check him in to Westjet flight.
    But we were herded to the immigration line.
    So now, finally when we can see him ...again had to wait till immigration was done.
    So we waited, although it was small line ...each minute seemed to be stretched.
    And more than worrying about if the immigration officer is going to give us stamp...my mind and heart were with Yuki.
    So finally our turn came ...we stepped forward at the immigration desk ...so its now going to be just 10 minutes or less!
    ...but the lights go off ...all systems down ...
    who would have imagined that!
    So that added to another 30 minutes!
    While we were there ...an officer from Canadian Agriculture department came to the immigration desk, asking for who is with the dog!
    He told us he was fine ...so a sigh of relief.
    As soon as the immigration formality was done, I rushed to the carousel where Yuki was supposed to be.
    My husband completed the formalities for Yuki at the Ministry of Agriculture desk.

There he was our little puppy, looking so lost!
    He is such a cutie pie, always attracts people so when I went there, a gentleman had given him water and was with him.
    Yuki was all excited to see us especially my hubby.

But we still couldn't take him out of the crate as we knew it would be very difficult to make him go back! [We had to eventually for the security scan!]
    We went to the Westjet desk and paid to book in to an earlier flight.
    We just couldnt delay more!
    I must add here that I found Westjet staff more friendly towards Yuki and also that its way cheaper than Air Canada. 56$ vs 400$+

Ok. So now we are at the end of our journey. Super jet lagged and extremely tired.
    We landed at Edmonton...finally.
    Oh but wait .. there is an announcement ....due to the power outage at Vancouver all baggage may not have arrived!
    So again ....now they couldn't tell if Yuki has arrived with us or no!

So we went....for the long wait at the carousel. 2 of our bags had not arrived. And at the carousel where Yuki was expected ...no sign of him.
    I was just walking up and down between the two carousel....waiting ...praying...plzzz.
    And there he came...thank you God

Yuki was very anxious ...so while we filled up form for the baggage cliam...and getting the cab ...we were standing as close to his crate as possible ...he didn't want us out sight...probably worried we would chuck him in another plane ...

All in all we all arrive at our hotel ....in freezing cold ...
    We got Yuki out the crate...did a little walk...he peed almost 5 times ...twice in suite when we went up!
    But that was ok ...he was fine ...was with us!

We are really PROUD of him...such a brave kid...

NOTE: If anyone wants any info for travelling from India to Canada ...would love to help.

Comment

Working...
    X