IATA Compliant carrier for 2 cats??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IATA Compliant carrier for 2 cats??

We've moved from the US to Europe and are bringing our 2 cats over. They're up to date on vaccinations and we have the vet and USDA appointments set up. We've spoken to the airline and learned that our cats won't be able to go in the cabin, so they have to go in cargo - at least we made sure to get a nonstop flight so they won't be sitting somewhere cold and scary during a layover. We're just struggling now to find a carrier that is the right size. We plan to have them travel in one carrier because they've comforted each other every time we've had to travel (driving) with them before. They've grown up together and do very well together. When we separate them, they get more scared and anxious.

Where can we get a crate for 2 cats? We need something at least 29"L x 24"W x 15"H ideally close to those actual measurements. Everything I can find is massively tall and not wide enough. Does anyone know where to buy an IATA compliant (or close to it - I know all of the carriers I've seen that claim to be IATA compliant still need a few modifications like switching plastic for metal hardware) crate for 2 cats? I'd prefer it not be twice as tall as necessary, but it seems like the only crates that are big enough are made for large dogs. Does no one make crates for 2 cats??

Thanks!

Re: IATA Compliant carrier for 2 cats??

Yellowbird - you can find IATA compliant pet crates here. They come in standard sizes and we ship all over the US: http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Carriers-%26-Accessories/Pet-Carriers/
    Susan

Comment

Thanks Susan,
      I've looked extensively at your site. None of the crates I see there are the right size for 2 cats traveling together. I need something wider than it is tall, ideally close to 29"L x 24"W x 15"H. Do you know of anywhere that sells crates for 2 cats?

Comment

Generally, crates come in standard sizes according to IATA regulations. How did you arrive at those sizes?
        Susan

Comment

We spoke with the airline to find out whether we would need to have our cats travel separately or if they could travel together and asked them specifically what the size regulations were. They told us that the cats could travel together in one crate and the maximum size is 125x75x85 cm, which is about 49x29x33 inches. This airline (airberlin) does not have different pricing or regulations for various size crates - they simply said that any crate that meets the other IATA regulations is fine as long as it is not larger than those dimensions. We used the pet measurement guide on this site (pettravel.com) to measure our larger cat and then doubled the width to have the 2 cats ride side by side, which came to 29x24x15 inches.

I understand that crates come in standard sizes. The problem is that those standard sizes do not accommodate 2 animals traveling together. It sounds like I'll have to find something as close as possible and then modify it significantly to make it work. Frustrating!

Comment

It would be surprising if your cats needed anything larger than an intermediate or large crate to travel together. What do your cats measure from tip of nose to base of tail?

Comment

Working...
            X