EU rules for extended travel with a pet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU rules for extended travel with a pet

Hello! I have a situation that seems somewhat unique as I have not seen it addressed on PetTravel.com or other sites! I will be travelling with my dog throughout the EU for a year beginning in March. I understand the passport requirements and am following the timeline. We are entering the EU via France, then driving to Greece for a month, then to Italy, Switzerland, etc. Here is my question: my dog must be certified healthy by a vet 10 days prior to entry into France and the appropriate form completed. Can the form be completed for all countries prior to leaving the States or do we have to see a vet each time we travel between countries? We're surprised! We thought the EU had streamlined the process between countries!

Re: EU rules for extended travel with a pet

You will need to complete an Annex IV form for France to enter the EU. The form will be good for travel within the EU and Switzerland for 4 months. Before that time, you should visit a vet in the EU and get a EU pet passport. It is good for the life of your pet as long as rabies vaccination does not expire.
    Susan

Comment

Susan
      I cannot seem to find anywhere if the dog (nor the owner) does not reside in Italy, will the regulations 561/2013 allow for a certified vet in Italy to issue a pet passport for the dog after arrival from the US?

Comment

The EU health certificate is good for 4 months after the date of endorsement. If you plan to be in the EU for longer than 4 months, then you should see a vet in Italy for an EU Pet Passport. Know that after 4 months, your pet may be subject to local ordinances as a resident of the country.
        Susan

Comment

Travel to European Union (EU) with a dog-Italy
          I hope this thread is not too long however; I want to ensure that I am clear on what I am asking. I will be traveling to Italy for a three month stay in the EU with arrival point in Italy at Milan (MXP). I will be going to adjoining countries to Italy for short day trips. This is not my first time with the dog in Italy and I have in fact worked with the USDA who as you know manages administrative paperwork for the introduction of dogs into the EU on behalf of Italy. My specific question is not entering but rather exiting. The USDA folks are unclear as all they manage is the introduction to various countries.

Going to this website (Italy/US embassy)
          https://it.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/embassy/sections-offices/fas/pet-travel-faqs-italy-u-s/
          In the center of the page it reads:

“Moving Cats and Dogs from Italy to the United States
          The Italian Government requires that all cats and dogs travelling from Italy to the U.S. must have a Pet Export Certificate that can be obtained from an authorized veterinarian of the local ASL (Azienda Sanitaria Locale), who will check the validity of the vaccination against rabies”.

Going to the drop down menu “what is the pet export certificate”
          “The Pet Export Certificate must be written in Italian and English and bear the following information:
          • Information pertaining to the animal (breed, sex, date of birth, color and characteristics of the coat);
          • Name and address of the owner;
          • Health conditions of the animal
          • The certificate must report that the animal was examined on the day the certificate was issued and was found to be clinically healthy, and that the animal was vaccinated against rabies at least 20 days and not more than 11 months before the certificate was issued.
          For more information please see the Italian Ministry of Health website on Animal Welfare and Travel athttp://www.salute.gov.it/caniGatti/paginaMenuCani.jsp?menu=viaggiare&lingua=italiano
          VERY IMPORTANT:
          The Azienda Sanitaria Locale (ASL) issues the pet export certificate that is valid for only six days. Mark your calendar carefully to obtain the export certificate approximately three or four days before the departure of your pet from the country. Within 48 hours before you apply for the cat or dog export certificate, you must obtain a certificate of good health for your cat or dog from a local veterinarian to present to the ASL office”.
          Last years Annex IV form heading was “Non-Commerical movement…”. It has been modified this year (specifically for Italy but perhaps others) and it now reads “Model animal health certificate….”

I am aware that the certificate is good for four months for travel to other EU countries that have the same or similar entry requirements. My issue is trying to understand if the dog will need the export certificate (and all that goes with it) upon departure from Italy and returning to the US? When you are traveling by car for example from Italy to France you do not need an export certificate so why they would want one when leaving Italy and returning to in my case the US is something I cannot understand as it is the same thing other than when returning to the US, the current annex IV certificate that you entered with is in fact void for reentry.

Thank you and I apologize for this lengthy question but I wanted to provide you as experts all of the details as lengthy as they may be. Perhaps this is outside of the scope of what you do but was hoping you may have some insight or maybe I am making this more difficult or simply reading into something that I shouldn’t.

BTW this is by far the best website I have found for pet travel information. Your insight and knowledge is helpful to a lot of people.

Comment

The information you found is on the US Embassy & Consulate in Italy website. What is not clear is that whether this information is current as they mention EU Regulation 998\2003\EC (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:2003R0998:20120210:EN:PD F) as the legislation regulating the animal health requirements applicable to the non-commercial movement of pet animals (cats and dogs) in the European Union Member States. This is no longer the case as that legislation was basically nullified when EU Regulation 576/2013 was issued in December of 2014. It is this legislation that defines commercial versus non-commercial transport of dogs, cats, ferrets, amphibian, reptiles, birds, mammals, rodents and rabbits.

Another thing that is unclear is whether the export permit is for pets who are residents of Italy traveling to the US only versus pets that are visiting Italy and returning to the US. Technically, after spending 4 months in any EU country, a pet becomes a "resident" of the country and can get an EU Pet Passport from that country. However, pets visiting Italy should be able to return to the US as long as their rabies vaccination has not expired and the airline does not require a new health certificate.

We are not stating that the export permit is not necessary, but we cannot find reference to it on the Ministry of Health website. It may be worth contacting the Embassy for clarification.
            Susan

Comment

Thank you Susan for your quick reply. In reading your response, I think you stated something that I had not thought of, that being 576/2013 supersedes many of the old rules. Upon departing last year after a two month visit, the Airline person who was checking us in wanted a health certificate. I kind of talked them out of it stating that the Annex IV form satisfied that requirement and eventually she let us pass and ticketed us. This year as I stated Annex IV states "animal health certificate" in the heading. I too did wonder if the export certificate was for pets residing in Italy. In any case, I think I have confidence that it will be safe to just go and provide Annex IV when requested. Coming in not one official wanted to see it Annex IV. Seems the opposite would be more likely.
              Thanks again for your input and interpretation.

Comment

the ecu fitness certificate is good for four months after the date of endorsement

Comment

Working...
                X