Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

travel with dog Latvia (Europe) - San Diego (U.S.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travel with dog Latvia (Europe) - San Diego (U.S.)

Hello, folks!
    I'm a third year student owning a 2 year old Sharpei. He is the love of my life. The situation is as follows:
    My life has come to the point when I'm planning to move to San Diego this spring/summer. I already spent the last summer in states and I left my dog in my home country. As he's a very important part of my life I really want to take him with me this time. Though, I am really scared because the flight is long (at least 2 transfers) and we have never flown. Afraid that when I arrive at the destination something would've happened to my best friend.
    Please share your experience. What would be the documents needed? (probably, the vaccinations) but do i have to leave the dog before the flight in the airport for some kind of quarantine check? Thank you in advance. It is very important and I really need an encouragment.

Re: travel with dog Latvia (Europe) - San Diego (U.S.)

Hello - to enter the US you will need proof of rabies vaccination at least 30 days prior to entry and a health certificate issued within 10 days of travel by a licensed vet. There will be no quarantine unless your pup displays health problems. Depending on the country you are entering the US from, a screwworm certificate may be required.

If it is a long flight, you need to route it carefully. Do not change airlines and keep the layovers under 2 hours if possible and the airlines will transfer your pup from plane to plane. If you change airlines, they will not do this. Speak to the airlines and ask questions before booking your flight. Get a good pet crate for your dog and get them used to the crate as soon as you can. More tips here: http://www.pettravel.com/passports_airlinetrtips.cfm

Susan

Comment

Working...
    X