Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Puppy traveling from Alaska to Norway at 4 months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy traveling from Alaska to Norway at 4 months?

Hi, My nephew recently visited Alaska from Norway and while here bought a puppy that he wants to bring to Norway. I am currently keeping the puppy at my house until it is old enough to travel. My nephew was told by his veterinarian in Norway that the puppy had to be three months old before getting a rabies vaccination shot and then wait another 3 weeks before it could travel to Norway. I want to make sure I have ll my ducks in a row before making expensive travel arrangements to bring the puppy there. I realize the puppy needs to be micro-chipped before the rabies shot and be treated for tape worms 1-5 days ahead of travel. Aside from that I do not see any information on this site that validates the three month time frame my nephew was told. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Re: Puppy traveling from Alaska to Norway at 4 months?

AkAlan - actually, the legislation requiring that pups be 3 months old prior to rabies vaccination is going to be effective in December of 2014, but most countries have put it into practice early. From a veterinary standpoint, the antibodies that puppies get from their mother eventually "wear off" and puppies are not protected from rabies. The standard age for vaccination is 3 months, but many people who have been involved in importing puppies into the EU have had them vaccinated way to early putting the puppy's health at risk. To address the health of all puppies, the EU decided to enforce this regulation and the US has also done the same. Here is a bit more information: http://www.pettravel.com/blog/index.php/uk-pet-travel-rules-change/.
    Susan

Comment

Re: Puppy traveling from Alaska to Norway at 4 months?

Hi Akalan,

If you want travel with pets so before the travel you should talk with airline. They want some documents about your pets.

Thanks
      Myairticket.com

Comment

Working...
      X