colombia to germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colombia to germany

I am moving to Germany for graduate studies from my home in Colombia and would like to fly with my cats. How can I travel with my cats to Germany from Colombia?

Re: colombia to germany

Hello Camille - the EU considers Colombia as a high-rabies country, so this is what you will need to do. First, have your pet microchipped with a 15 digit microchip, then vaccinated for rabies. It does not matter whether your cats' present vaccinations are current; they will need to be re-vaccinated after the chip is implanted. (it can be done in the same vet visit.) Then wait 30 days and have your vet administer a Blood Titer Test. Assuming acceptable results, your cats can enter Germany 90 days after the day the blood was drawn for the titer test. They will need an Annex II form for Germany completed within 10 days of import. You can find more details and links to forms and instructions here if you need them: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Colombia.cfm

Let me know if you have additional questions.
    Susan

Comment

I am still a little confused. So after acceptable titer results, I need to leave my cats in home in Colombia for 90 days and then I can get all forms and fly to Germany with them? Do I wait exactly 90 days or is there a window of time after 90 days have passed from the titer to fly my cats to Germany? I was scared because I originally told I would have to fly them to Germany and leave them in quarantine for 90 days but maybe because of translation I was wrong. Also the link you provided was for the rules to bring cats into Colombia and I want to take mine out to Germany. I hope someone can help clarify this for me. Thanks for your great consideration!

Comment

Oops, sorry Camille - you are correct. The regulations to take your cats to Germany is here: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Germany.cfm.

You are correct. Your cats can enter Germany 90 days after the date the blood was drawn without quarantine. You will need an Annex II form for Germany completed within 10 days of travel.
        Susan

Comment

Thanks you Susan for your great advice! I think I understand the process now. I just do not understand the 90 day waiting period. If a titer is performed and any animal receives favorable results, why then wait 90 more days. It seems counter intuitive to wait so long after a test to travel (if an animal is shown to be healthy by a vet, then it seems that one would not want to wait to transport the animal due to the likelihood that after the titer animals risk contracting pathogens over time). It seems more intuitive that animals should travel quickly after a test is performed and all clear is given. Do you have any information on why 90 days is required and is there a window of time after 90 days that one must travel with animals?

Comment

Camille - we are not veterinarians, but here is a layman's explanation of the 90 day waiting period. Rabies' symptoms do not surface right away. It can take up to 90 days for symptoms to surface. So the EU's rationale is that, if, by any chance, your pet has contracted the disease prior to the vaccination, then the symptoms will have surfaced within 90 days. It is in the abundance of caution that the EU Commission and DEFRA made that law. It used to be 6 months prior to entry that the titer test was given. In 2012, it was reduced to 3 months. And there are other countries that still require a 6 month wait currently.
            Susan

Comment

Working...
            X