Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to France. We're mexican, flying from the US. What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to France. We're mexican, flying from the US. What to do?

Hi,

I'm moving to France for studies. We're mexican, from TJ (bordertown). We'll be flying out of LAX for economic and practical reasons. (Me and my baby James, a 5 year old schnauzer) Crossing the border to the US isn't a problem, we do it a couple times a month. My worry is at the airport.
    I've read tons on what I need to bring James in to France from the US.
    There's no information that I can find on how to bring him as a mexican dog, much less through the US as one. We already have our flight, which I fought hard to get, and he's been microchipped, he'll have it in for the 3 months required the day we hit European territory. Tomorrow he's getting his rabies vaccination. I know both Mexico and the US are rabies low-risk countries, so no rabies bloodwork is needed.
    However the health certificate is appearign to be quite a hassle, having to be endorsed by the USDA (California). My plan was to pass him off as a US dog, so there would be less of a problem at the airports. But I'm wondering now, if it would be simpler to state he's mexican. Does anyone know if that would be a problem, at either airport/customs, with paperwork, etc. What would I need to do then? Or should I just go ahead with my original plans to take him as a US dog?
    Basically:
    1. Is there a different procedure in taking a mexican dog to France?
    2. Is there a problem at either airport by taking a mexican dog, from the US?

Also, few other questions:
    - Does the health certificate have to be in english or french? I found a native french speaking vet near where we take James to the park in the US.
    - (I'm probably forgetting the other ones I had hehe)

Re: Moving to France. We're mexican, flying from the US. What to do?

Hello - you will gain no benefit bringing your dog to France from the US as opposed to Mexico as the rules are the same to enter France from either country. Additionally, to be considered entering France from the US, you will need to have resided there for 6 months prior to traveling. Good that your pup is microchipped, but be sure the rabies vaccination is at least 21 days prior to entering France. You will need an Annex II form (bi-lingual French/English) completed within 10 days of entering France. If you need one, you can find it here and it comes with instructions: http://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-passport-france/.
    Susan

Comment

So the only difference would be the USDA endorsement of the Anex? Does Mexico not have the same endorsement process? If so, then I can just show up at both airports with my dog and english paperwork, without USDA endorsement, tell them he's coming from Mexico, and as long as I have the microchip, rabies shot, and the anex (no stamp) all in order, there won't be a problem?
      I'm sorry for all the questions, i've just been worrying all over.
      Btw, Are they as rigorous will all the other normal vaccines?

Comment

As long as your Annex II form is completed by a veterinarian in Mexico, no USDA endorsement should be required.

Comment

So SAGARPA (pretty much the USDA equivalent in Mexico for those that don't know) is completely useless. I was told on the phone to communicate with them for an official "Zoosanitary Export Certificate". They have been the most incomp****t people I have dealt with in all of this. Told me for two weeks that with additional documentation (which I followed and supplied to the letter), everything would be fine. Last minute they tell me it's not possible and ping-ponged me from office to office, then saying that the major office in my state is on vacation. For future reference, for anyone else that is thinking about dealing with SAGARPA, I highly reccomend avoiding them and finding a way around them.

Now I'm definitely thinking of doing the USDA deal, one way or another. * problem is, I leave Monday, and it's Thursday, and because I've wasted my time being strung along, I doubt I'll be able to get it done in time. It's been an absolute nightmare. And now I don't know what to do and after all that I fought to book James' spot on that plane, it looks like he's not going to be on it, and someone else is going to have to take him to me. Oh right but we've got no more money! -.- I'm about to lose it.

There is absolutely nothing like U.S. customer service!

Comment

What a story! Does the airline require the endorsement of this agency? If not, than the EU probably does not.
            Susan

Comment

Hi Susan,
              I'm so desperate right now. I honestly don't even know anymore, I'm so stressed. I think the airline isn't the one that requires stuff, it's the country. When I booked his spot they reminded me of France's regulations. (Microchip, rabies shot, health certificate - and not many more specifics about it)
              When I called the douane in France, I asked her what papers would I need if I was coming in from the US but the dog was mexican, and in a very "duh" and annoyed tone just answered "Mexicains Madame" (I figure that doesn't merit translation x) ). I also called pettravel and I think I spoke to your son ? (He kept referring to you as mom to the others) who told me to call SAGARPA which was when I was first made aware of the agency. Apparently my trip is quite a complicated issue. (I hate that they treat dogs like some kind of merchandise, I mean I'm probably carrying more contaminants than him and I don't have any shots, I don't have my health certificate, and I haven't been asked nor will I be asked for either)
              I'm going to try and call the douane again tonight and hope for the best as well as a nicer person to answer the phone.
              Anywho, please help? My baby needs to come with me. I already have everything planned for our arrival together. When I went to the capital to get my visa, I left him with my parents for four days, since I came back he doesn't leave my
              The documents I have ready are:
              - List of his vaccines by a US vet.
              - Rabies Certificate by US vet.
              - Letter of confirmation of rabies vaccine by US vet. (Asked for by SAGARPA)
              - Health Certificate by a local Mexican vet in both english and spanish. (Asked for also by SAGARPA) Where it's stated he's in good health, fit for travel, and up to date on all his vaccines and deworming.
              I can also get a Health Certificate by the US vet. The US vet has been the same vet the whole ride.

THAAAANK YOU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by angiemel View Post
                When I went to the capital to get my visa, I left him with my parents for four days, since I came back he doesn't leave my
                My side* Sorry I forgot to complete the sentence -.-

Comment

When you mention health certificate, it must be an Annex. II form for France. This form is bi-lingual (French/English). France will need this form and proof of rabies vaccination and microchip. They should not be concerned with more than that.
                  susan

Comment

Hi Susan.
                    We finally got SAGARPA to give us the certificate last minute, through a petition done directed at a more or less independant subdivision. They gave me a 3 page mexican document, a zoosanitary export certificate.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Can't imagine why it would be such a hassle.
                      Susan

Comment

Working...
                      X