Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying my CATS to AUSTRALIA from UK...IS IT SAFE in Cargo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying my CATS to AUSTRALIA from UK...IS IT SAFE in Cargo ?

I'm migrating to Australia from the UK and have 2 cats.The flight is 22hrs and my airlines say cats must travel in the hold/cargo. My concerns are:
    1 Loss of cabin pressure in the cargo hold during flight?
    2 Low temperatures at high altitude ?
    (Quantas airlines website says make sure you tell the captain that your pets are in cargo so that they can regulate the temperature/conditions as it can get sub zero. At what pint do you ever get to speak with the Captain before a flight)?
    Also, I understand that there is a risk CABIN PRESSURE can be lost at any stage during a flight in such holds where the baggage/Live animals are stored - so i'm guessing if there are live animals on the flight they would have to endure 22hrs in sub zero temps and run the risk of suffocation at any point)!
    You may be familiar when you have flown. aerosols sometimes leak out into your suitcase when you land..ie loss of cabin pressure. This seems to happen a lot.
    Can somebody please give me some advice on this. Thank you.

Re: Flying my CATS to AUSTRALIA from UK...IS IT SAFE in Cargo ?

to add to my post....I know that my airlines do everything possible to ensure the safety and well being of pets when travelling in the pet hold, the post really applies to any airline where pets have to travel in cargo.

Comment

Hey Dear, i have also same thing to question.... i love cats & i want to fly my two cute cats with me when i travel from India to Sydney. is it possible ? I searched on some site - www.nationmaster.com/n/ but not found suitable answer. kindly revert me back with your experience.... Regards !

Comment

Vrahul1984 - dogs and cats are not permitted to enter Australia directly from India. You can have the initial titer test done (6 months in advance), then you will need to take your cats to an approved country at least 6 weeks prior to transport to Australia.
        Phil

Comment

Downshep - the airlines fly pets everyday in the cargo hold. This area is pressure and temperature controlled. If the aircraft is not configured this way, the airline will not fly live animals on that type of aircraft. Actually, the greatest risk for temperature is on the ground, not in the air. The best time to tell the captain is when you board the aircraft. You can also ask for confirmation that your cats are scheduled to fly with you on the same plane when at the gate.
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          X