Layover in Pudong, China with a chihuahua

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layover in Pudong, China with a chihuahua

My boyfriend and I are travelling from Bangkok, Thailand to Vancouver, Canada in Dec 2012. I have read stuff on this forum about difficulties travelling with dogs as cargo in China but can't seem to find anything about them travelling as carry-on. If we are transferring from one airline to another (aircanada) with my dog as carry-on luggage, will they want him to go into quarantine? We will be in the Airport for about 4 hrs and the dog will be with me the entire time. Is this even possible to do? We haven't booked any tickets yet. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Re: Layover in Pudong, China with a chihuahua

If you are transferring airlines in Canada, you will need to clear immigration with your dog and it will not go into quarantine if you follow the rules for entering Canada. For this, you will need the forms to enter Canada and you can find them here: http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Passports/. Your dog will need to be vaccinated for rabies and need to be inspected for screw worm.
    Susan

Comment

Sorry I didn't specify in the original message but the layover will be in China. Most likely at PVG, but it might be at PEK as well, depending on cheapest flights and layover time. Do you know what China requires from a dog during a layover that is travelling as carry-on? You have to enter China before continuing on to the next flight correct? So does that mean they are going to try and put my dog in quarantine because I technically have to enter China?

Comment

If the airline you are flying into China and out of China is the same airline then you will not go through immigration in China. You would not be able to take the pet outside for a walk. You need to call the airline to make sure they accept pets in cabin on that flight. Most airlines will not because the total travel time is too great.
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X