Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying Air France with two German Shepherds layover in CDG

Hello,
    On August 1st I'll be flying with my two German Shepherds to Venice from the Washington Dulles airport on military orders (we are being stationed in Vicenza)
    My husband is already there so I'll be flying with both dogs by myself I'll be flying from Dulles to CDG where I'll have a 7 hour layover then finally arriving in Venice.
    My question is how easy is it going to be to get to the terminal I need to be at with my two dogs and where do they need to be picked up and checked back in at?
    This will be my first time flying internally, and I'm doing it with two big dogs lol so I'm kinda stressing. I know CDG is a pretty big airport. I guess I'm just looking for any tips or suggestions. I also would like to know, since I am going to be flying with Air France both flights, will the terminals be near each other?
    I'm planning on only taking my purse and a backpack with a few clothes in it to avoid having to deal with baggage as well.
    Any information will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: Flying Air France with two German Shepherds layover in CDG

Jessica - If you are flying Air France in and out of CDG, they will require that you claim and recheck your dogs at CDG. If they will be flying as checked baggage, then you will claim them at baggage claim and clear customs with them before having to recheck them at the check-in counter. You will need to find flatbed carts for your dogs and another set of arms if the cart is not big enough for both dogs. This procedure is also required if you are changing airline companies in any layover airport.

If you are flying in and out of CDG on any other airline, we would contact them to see if they will hold your dogs at CDG. As we do not customs clear dogs in France, we do not know what facilities are available there for their care.

As you will be clearing customs in France, a French EU health certificate would be appropriate (although they will accept the English version). Their pet import regulations are the same as Italy's. You can review current regulations to import your dogs to France here: https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/France.cfm.
    Susan

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      Jessica - If you are flying Air France in and out of CDG, they will require that you claim and recheck your dogs at CDG. If they will be flying as checked baggage, then you will claim them at baggage claim and clear customs with them before having to recheck them at the check-in counter. You will need to find flatbed carts for your dogs and another set of arms if the cart is not big enough for both dogs. This procedure is also required if you are changing airline companies in any layover airport.

If you are flying in and out of CDG on any other airline, we would contact them to see if they will hold your dogs at CDG. As we do not customs clear dogs in France, we do not know what facilities are available there for their care.

As you will be clearing customs in France, a French EU health certificate would be appropriate (although they will accept the English version). Their pet import regulations are the same as Italy's. You can review current regulations to import your dogs to France here: https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/France.cfm.
      Susan
      So would you just leave them in the crates and not take them potty then? Im a little confused by what you mean when you say ask if theyd hold them.

Comment

Many airlines have the ability to care for your dogs during the layover. It depends what on what is available to the airlines. You should have time to claim them and recheck them if your airline can’t take care of them.
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X