Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long layover with a cat in Bogotá. Will I need new paperwork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long layover with a cat in Bogotá. Will I need new paperwork?

Hi everyone, hoping someone has experience with this.

I'm flying Avianca from Bolivia to the US with my cat, and we have an 8 hour layover in Bogotá during which I have booked a hotel so we both can stretch our legs and eat. She will have a health certificate from a Bolivian vet. Does anyone know if leaving the airport with her means that I will have to take her back to animal inspection in the airport? Or beyond that, will I have to take her to a Colombian vet for a new health certificate? We lived in Bogotá until a few months ago, so she does have a vet there whom we can see, but it would be a pain to have to spend an hour of my layover running her to the vet (of whom she is not very fond).

Re: Long layover with a cat in Bogotá. Will I need new paperwork?

CeeCeeCee - In order to take your pet to a hotel, it would need to go outside which means going through customs in Colombia.

To go through customs with your pet, you would need to have the proper documents to enter Colombia.

You would not need to show them the documents for Bolivia, but would need those documents for arrival in Bolivia. Both sets of documents could be done by the vet and USDA in the US before you leave.

Bolivia requires only a health certificate. Colombia also requires a ticks and tapeworms certificate.
    Susan

Comment

I'm actually going from Bolivia to the United States, but this is helpful since my biggest worry was about leaving and returning to the Bogotá airport. Thank you!

Comment

Oh my! sorry about that!
        S

Comment

No worries, you were very helpful-- I now know I need to get her a new ticks/tapeworm test!

Comment

Working...
          X