Traveling from Niger (West Africa) to USA with layover in Paris with a cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling from Niger (West Africa) to USA with layover in Paris with a cat

I am really confused about what I will need for my cat when I fly. I currently live in Niger, and have a small cat. I want to import my cat back to the United States when I return next September. For a cat in the USA, I read that basically you should have (but aren't required to have) a general certificate of health and a rabies vaccine. However, because I will be traveling with a layover in France (albeit brief), I am not sure if I need all the requirements for France. Those requirements are significantly more involved, and I am not even sure that they are possible to achieve in this country (microchipping, etc). Can someone let me know what their experiences have been with a Paris layover with a pet traveling in the cabin? It will be very hard for me to find a vet in this country who is certified to do all of the things necessary in France, and before I spend a lot of time on it, I want to know if it is even necessary. If it is, I will have to have him microchipped (could be difficult), then the rabies vaccine (which I would do regardless), then have a titer of blood pulled to test and prove 30 days later that his vaccine was effective, then a health certificate valid for ten days, all for a tiny layover in Paris??? I'll have to travel to the capital of the country (12 hours away) multiple times to complete this. Makes me really nervous! But I cannot leave him behind -- I won't leave Niger until I can take him with me.

Any advice and information are welcome!

Re: Traveling from Niger (West Africa) to USA with layover in Paris with a cat

Hi Ladyashley - if you are flying in and out of France on the same airline, then your kitty will transit the country. The exception to this is Air France. They require that you recheck your pet on each leg of the itinerary. If you are planning to fly Air France, then you need to contact them to be sure that you don't have to clear customs and enter France to accomplish this.

If you are changing airlines, t hen you will need to clear customs, enter France and abide by their requirements. (http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/France.cfm).
    Susan

Comment

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your response. I will be flying Air France. I have not booked the flight yet though. I could alternatively choose Turkish Air and route from Niger to Istanbul, then on to Atlanta. Is that a better option? Again, I'm flying with my cat in the cabin with me, not as cargo. Does that change things?

Thanks again!
      Ashley (crazy kitty mommy)

Comment

If your kitty was traveling as air cargo, it would make a difference. As your kitty is traveling with you in the cabin, you may want to contact Air France and ask them about the layover. If they can arrange for you to check your kitty in for the second leg of your trip without clearing customs and entering the country, that would work. If you cannot get that guarantee, then go with Turkish Air. Just confirm that pets will be allowed on your specific route before booking your ticket. The regulations for entering the US with your kitty would not differ from either country.
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X