Cat from US to Malaysia, transit in Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat from US to Malaysia, transit in Korea

I am planning to go back to Malaysia from US next month and I am planning to fly with Korean Air. I'l be bringing my cat with me as a checked in baggage. There'll be 12 hour layover in Incheon and I am just wondering if I need to apply permit or meet the Korean health and vaccination requirements. It is pretty much the same as the one required in Malaysia except that Korea requires a titer test. However, does it still apply to my cat since we are only transiting?

Re: Cat from US to Malaysia, transit in Korea

That is a long time for Korean Air to hold your cats in the crate. You may want to contact them to confirm or change your route so your layover will be shorter. If the airline says that you need to claim and recheck your cat, then you will need the titer test. Your other option is to travel with your cat in the cabin and keep it with you during the layover.
    Susan

Comment

IM new to this forum and also very "un tech"
      I am planning to move from US to Malaysia with two cats. One is 16, a persian, the other is 7. Im so stressed about this but I need to do it as my
      family is in Malay and I need to be there. I am thinking of taking Korean Air which I normally take when I travel to malay. BUt I am thinking of sending my 7 y/o
      in cargo and taking my 16y/o in cabin. Has ANYONE done this move from US to Malay??? I have not done the health cert yet as I am not planning this move
      until next year. THANKS!!!

Comment

Tskalani - your pets must fly into Malaysia as air cargo. http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Malaysia.cfm.
        Susan

Comment

Really?? I know that on Korean Air, they allow small pets in the cabin so I am confused about this. The pet does need to be in quarantine for 7 days in Malay but Im pretty sure thay can ride in cabin, One pet per passenger.

Comment

Unless your pet is entering Malaysia from United Kingdom, Eire, Northern Ireland, New Zealand, Japan, Brunei or Singapore, it will be subject to 7 days of quarantine.

Korean Air does allow pets in the cabin to many countries; however, Malaysia requires that pets enter as air cargo. You can confirm with Korean Air.

Comment

Hi and Thank you for your replies. I am hearing from several pet relocators that pets are able to travel in the cabin thus, they would arrive in Malaysia in the cabin not in cargo. I will keep you posted if in fact this is true so you can be updated. I do hope that this is in fact true . Thx, again.

Comment

Originally posted by tskalani View Post
                Hi and Thank you for your replies. I am hearing from several pet relocators that pets are able to travel in the cabin thus, they would arrive in Malaysia in the cabin not in cargo. I will keep you posted if in fact this is true so you can be updated. I do hope that this is in fact true . Thx, again.
                Hey, I just found this page because I am looking for more information about travelling to Malaysia from Toronto with my cat using Korean Air. How was your trip? were there any problems? Did you need any permit for transiting in Korea? I would be transiting for less than 2 hours. and do you mind telling me the list of documents needed to import to Malaysia? like what Vaccines and Documents? Also, what was the total weight of your cat including the carrier? because I'm afraid my cat will exceed the weight limit by the time I fly because she is only 5 months now but she would be 10 months old when I fly. How strict were the check in people when it came to the weight of the cat? Hope to hear from you as it would really help me.

Comment

Esellekot - it is our understanding that all live animals must arrive in Malaysia as air cargo. We suggest that you contact Korean Air and confirm that they will import your cat to Malaysia in the cabin. You can find requirements to import your cat to Malaysia here: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Malaysia.cfm.
                  Susan

Comment

What to Know About Bringing Dogs & Cats to Malaysia ... Bringing pets to Malaysia also calls for an import permit from the Directors of State Veterinary departments or the Director General of the Department of Veterinary ... There is a seven day mandatory quarantine for all pets going into Malaysia from the United States.

Comment

It is highly unlikely that Korean Air will hold your cat for 12 hours, but you should check with them about that. It is possible that they can work out an arrangement with National Veterinary Research & Quarantine Service to hold your cat. If they require that you claim and recheck your cat, then your cat will need to clear customs and enter Korea. In this case, your cat will need to comply with all requirements to enter the country.
                      Susan

Comment

Working...
                      X