Bangkok to NYC with layover in Shanghai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangkok to NYC with layover in Shanghai

I am looking into being a flight volunteer to help relocate a dog from Thailand to the United States. I already have a ticket purchased on China Eastern Airlines and am trying to find the answer to a few questions. My flight goes from Bangkok to Shanghai, has a 3 hour layover (same airline/change planes), then onward to New York City.

Will there be a problem with the dog being transferred from the first plane to the second plane? Or will the dog have to go through a quarantine of some kind? Is this procedure controlled/determined by the airline itself OR the airport and its policies? If the airport, what are those policies - I cannot find them anywhere? There seems to be some common opinion that you should avoid having to transfer through a Chinese Airport but not actual, specific information as to why you shouldn't or what the specific policies are for animals having a layover and transferring from one plane to another.

Is China Eastern Airlines safe for the dog? I understand there are some airlines that are more reputable than others. It seems like every airline has had its bad instances from time to time.

Thank you for any information!

Geoff
    Last edited by rungeoff; 11-10-2015, 05:04 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Bangkok to NYC with layover in Shanghai

Geoff - you should discuss the process to transit Shanghai airport with your airline. There should not be problems with holding your pet for 3 hours and transferring them to the next plane, but there may be a permit involved. The procedure is controlled by veterinary officials in China, but the airlines are aware of them. We cannot comment on whether China Airlines is a bad airline, but you should be a proactive traveler and demand to know that your pet has been boarded on the next flight. Also ask the airlines whether they check the pet during the layover.
    Jason

Comment

Working...
    X