Transit through Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transit through Italy

Hello, I am planning to travel from USA to Montenegro with my cat in the cabin. I am flying with Alitalia and connecting in Rome. Montenegro does not require microchipping but I am worried if I would have a problem in Rome. My connecting flight is with Alitalia Cityliner, a subsidiary of Alitalia. Would a microchip be required for this flight? Thank you
    Last edited by Elissa; 10-18-2019, 01:30 AM.

Hi, I checked the pet rules of Montenegro, they don't require a pet passport, Microchip, rabies titer test, health certificate, but excepting vaccinations. Also, they state that:

1. Pets must enter Montenegro via Podgorica Airport.
    2. Pets can enter in the cabin, as checked baggage or air cargo.
    Therefore, Montenegro is very friendly to import pets from any country. Check more at:[url]https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Montenegro.cfm[/url]

Additionally, Alitalia is one of the pet friendly airlines. Check out the pet policy of Alitalia: [url]https://www.alitalia.com/en_us/fly-alitalia/organize-your-trip/pets.html[/url] as well as the preparation for air travel: [url]http://bit.ly/pet-friendly-airlines-checklists[/url]

Alitalia mentions:

In order for your pet to be able to travel with you, you must pay an additional ticket charge, which will vary depending on the pet's weight, the departure and arrival airports, and whether it will travel in the cabin or in the cargo hold.

However, if your cat is an emotional support animal, it can fly with you without paying extra fees. But they don't mention whether a cat can be an emotional support animal. You could contact them beforehand.

There are some rules of ESAs in Alitalia:
    1. The transportation of emotional support or psychiatric service dogs is allowed only for ticketed itineraries which include flights to/from the USA,
    2. Alitalia will limit the number of Emotional Support Animal (ESA) to one per passenger, per flight.
    3. The passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders—Fourth Edition (DSM IV);
    4. The passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger's destination;
    5. The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional, and the passenger is under his or her professional care;
    6. The date and type of the mental health professional's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.

Comment

Hi Lunaluna, thank you for all the information!
      Do you know though if I need a microchip for transit from Alitalia to Alitalia Cityliner in Rome?

Comment

Elissa – as you are transiting between 2 airlines in the same commpany, then your cat will transit Italy and requirements do not apply. If your cat is traveling with you in the cabin, then you will stay in the secure area of the terminal until you board your next flight. If flying as checked baggage, your layover should not be more than 3 hours.

Comment

Thank you so much for the information.

Comment

Working...
          X