Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Airlines cabin pets: do they actually get weighed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Airlines cabin pets: do they actually get weighed?

I have never traveled with my dog (a Westie) before and am thinking of doing so for an upcoming flight on American Airlines.

I've read AA's pet policies and understand there is a 20 pound weight limit (for the pet + carrier).

The one thing their site didn't elaborate on is what the procedure is for the day of travel. We never check bags, so I'm wondering if you are traveling with a pet, do you still have to go through the ticketing process at the terminal, or can you go directly through security?

I'm asking because, while I haven't weighed my pup yet, I'm guessing he'll be closer to 22-23 pounds. Do they actually weigh the carrier?

Thanks.

Re: American Airlines cabin pets: do they actually get weighed?

It appears from your email that you are looking to fly in the cabin with your Westie. It is unclear whether you are flying domestically or internationally. However, it is important to note that the enforcement of American's policies is the responsibility of the ticket and gate agents. Certainly, your pet must fit the carrier and be able to stand up and turn around comfortably. As far as the weight, if you have time, try taking a few pounds off of your pet if you can.
    Susan

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      It appears from your email that you are looking to fly in the cabin with your Westie. It is unclear whether you are flying domestically or internationally. However, it is important to note that the enforcement of American's policies is the responsibility of the ticket and gate agents. Certainly, your pet must fit the carrier and be able to stand up and turn around comfortably. As far as the weight, if you have time, try taking a few pounds off of your pet if you can.
      Susan
      Thanks for your thoughts. I am flying domestically.

Comment

I'm flying my two dogs in cargo in a few months... I'm planning on using Alaska airlines (from Portland to Newark direct). They only charge $100 per pet, which is INSANELY cheap. I looked at some of the other carriers and they charge by weight, which puts a 100 lb dog + crate at $400+. American is also per pet but they charge a little more and have size restrictions on some of their flight (our dogs use the largest carrier).

Anyone have experience with flying Alaska? Is there a better airline?

I looked at the cargo services (where you're not on the flight) and it's cheaper to fly someone roundtrip with your dogs than using their services! What's up with that?
        johny

Comment

Alaska Airlines is an experienced carrier of animals. I think that you may be confusing the cost of carrying a pet as checked baggage as opposed to manifest cargo. The costs to the airlines as well as the liability is far greater when carrying a pet as manifest cargo. The amount of time that the airline serves the pet is also greater when traveling as manifest cargo.
          Susan

Comment

Working...
          X