Past experiences w/ airline doggie travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past experiences w/ airline doggie travel

So my dog, Rice is a Jack Chi mix, ranges in weight from 17lbs to 15.5 currently. He's flown with me & my boyfriend 4 times before. Great traveler, sleeps most of the time, no whining or anything.

We've used Continental for all 4 times. We tried to fly US Airways in December 2009 (in Philly) when we were braving a snow storm (it snowed 23-24 inches that day!!) and US denied us to check in because Rice was supposedly too big for his bag when clearly, he stood up and moved to the other side of the bag. They gave us the option of having one of us go through security to get a bigger bag. DONE! My boyfriend went through security and was almost to the shop to buy a new bag and they said the bag we have is the biggest. Uhm, I'm sorry, you made us go through all that for nothing??? So then we asked about buying a seat for a dog. They said it would be $800 or so, which we didn't want to pay but to get where we were going, we said fine. So then they started to book us and then said they couldn't do that?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? At this point, it's really hard not to yell at them for making us do tricks for nothing. Neecless to say, we asked for a refund since everything was confirmed that we couldn't get on the plane. I called my mom who were going to visit in California (it was 7am here, 4am there) and she got online and booked us with Continental the next day at another airport. Then we had to wait for our luggage which took FOR-EV-ER!! Needless to say, I've never flown US Airways before and I never will with the way that they treated us!!

Anyways, I've got my first trip out to California by myself with Rice in June and I have yet to book my flight because I've noticed other airlines have come around with being pet friendly. I was looking to see if anyone had good reviews of other airlines with dogs especially (and around my Ricer's size?). So far, the best I've found (price wise for me & Rice) is Air Tran. Has anyone flown them?? Any and all help, advice, experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Tannis & Rice

P.S. this is the dog carrier used for Rice (except in black)

Re: Past experiences w/ airline doggie travel

That is good, you can carry pet at this baggage so as to avoid custom clearance, most of the time you have to travel along with pet so as to make it good for him.

Comment

I was looking to see if anyone had good reviews of other airlines with dogs especially (and around my Ricer's size?). So far, the best I've found (price wise for me & Rice) is Air Tran. Has anyone flown them?? Any and all help, advice, experiences will be greatly appreciated.
      Last edited by admin; 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM. Reason: No linkbacks

Comment

First of all, I would like to say I am sorry as this one is very late reply, but I've just joined this portal and started reviewing other people's post.
        I flew with Delta airline and Jet Airways, they both were great to my dog. No hassle, not questions to be asked. smooth check in and check out. Also try Etihad please, I would say royal airlines may take really good care of our pals. and as you've mentioned you had flown with continental, however, I have found couple bad complaints online about continentals but again, we never know until we use the airline but just to be safest side stick to the one we have been with before.
        Thanks

Comment

I have had a pleasant flight with my pet dog to Indonesia.

Comment

Originally posted by TLCruz View Post
            So my dog, Rice is a Jack Chi mix, ranges in weight from 17lbs to 15.5 currently. He's flown with me & my boyfriend 4 times before. Great traveler, sleeps most of the time, no whining or anything.

We've used Continental for all 4 times. We tried to fly US Airways in December 2009 (in Philly) when we were braving a snow storm (it snowed 23-24 inches that day!!) and US denied us to check in because Rice was supposedly too big for his bag when clearly, he stood up and moved to the other side of the bag. They gave us the option of having one of us go through security to get a bigger bag. DONE! My boyfriend went through security and was almost to the shop to buy a new bag and they said the bag we have is the biggest. Uhm, I'm sorry, you made us go through all that for nothing??? So then we asked about buying a seat for a dog. They said it would be $800 or so, which we didn't want to pay but to get where we were going, we said fine. So then they started to book us and then said they couldn't do that?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? At this point, it's really hard not to yell at them for making us do tricks for nothing. Neecless to say, we asked for a refund since everything was confirmed that we couldn't get on the plane. I called my mom who were going to visit in California (it was 7am here, 4am there) and she got online and booked us with Continental the next day at another airport. [url=http://www.shuttle-paris-airports.com/]Paris Airport Limousine Service[/url] Then we had to wait for our luggage which took FOR-EV-ER!! Needless to say, I've never flown US Airways before and I never will with the way that they treated us!!

Anyways, I've got my first trip out to California by myself with Rice in June and I have yet to book my flight because I've noticed other airlines have come around with being pet friendly. I was looking to see if anyone had good reviews of other airlines with dogs especially (and around my Ricer's size?). So far, the best I've found (price wise for me & Rice) is Air Tran. Has anyone flown them?? Any and all help, advice, experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Tannis & Rice

images.jpg

Yeah, they're good. I had my vacation with my diog. Having a good time travelling.

Comment

Originally posted by TLCruz View Post

We've used Continental for all 4 times. We tried to fly US Airways in December 2009 (in Philly) when we were braving a snow storm (it snowed 23-24 inches that day!!) and US denied us to check in because Rice was supposedly too big for his bag when clearly, he stood up and moved to the other side of the bag. They gave us the option of having one of us go through security to get a bigger bag. DONE! My boyfriend went through security and was almost to the shop to buy a new bag and they said the bag we have is the biggest. Uhm, I'm sorry, you made us go through all that for nothing??? So then we asked about buying a seat for a dog. They said it would be $800 or so, which we didn't want to pay but to get where we were going, we said fine. So then they started to book us and then said they couldn't do that?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? At this point, it's really hard not to yell at them for making us do tricks for nothing. Neecless to say, we asked for a refund since everything was confirmed that we couldn't get on the plane. I called my mom who were going to visit in California (it was 7am here, 4am there) and she got online and booked us with Continental the next day at another airport. [url=http://www.shuttle-paris-airports.com/]Paris Airport Limousine Service[/url] Then we had to wait for our luggage which took FOR-EV-ER!! Needless to say, I've never flown US Airways before and I never will with the way that they treated us!!

Thanks so much

Tannis & Rice

images.jpg

Yeah, they're good. I had my vacation with my diog. Having a good time travelling.

Comment

Working...
              X