Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaccination documents checked at destination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunaluna
    replied
    Re: Vaccination documents checked at destination?

I had successfully traveled with my ESA cat in cabin last year. Here are some tips you should know about the trip.
    Air travel can be difficult for cats. You want to ensure your cats are healthy enough for the flight. Your veterinarian will examine them and make sure they are up to date on all of their vaccinations. If your cats have an illness, ask your veterinarian how it can be managed or treated (if possible) prior to your flight.
    1. Your veterinarian may need to complete a health certificate for your cats, certifying they are healthy enough for travel and have all of the required vaccinations. The health certificate requirements may vary according to your destination, so confirm these requirements with the airline before your appointment.
    2. There are time restrictions on health certificate completion. Airlines typically require health certificates to be completed within 10 days of a flight, but confirm your airline's specific time restriction.
    3. Ask your veterinarian to microchip your cats for easy identification. If your cats are already microchipped, consider asking your veterinarian to scan the microchip to make sure it can be read.
    4. If one of your cats is on medication, ask your veterinarian about how you can continue to medicate your cat on your day of travel.
    5. Contact the airline and confirm again when you require to prepare other documents (like esa certification or esa letter) for your cats. The airline I chose only allows Emotional Support Cat into the cabin. Luckily, my doctor said my cat is qualified to be my esa cat, and I prepared all the documents one month before the trip. Here is a registraion guide: www.supportdogcertification.org/article/guide-registering-your-cat-emotional-support-animal-esa Also, ESA letter is likely a useful document, depending on the pet policy of different airlines.

Read more about air traveling with cats here: www.catster.com/cats-101/cat-air-travel

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied

Best of luck with your move!

Leave a comment:

• GardeningGirlie
    replied

Thank you Susan. This makes sense to me. I have already started getting recommendations for a vet in my new area but was hoping to get their updated shots on the other side of this venture. Right now there is just way too much going on getting ready to move cross country and sell my house!

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied

GardeningGirlie - as you are flying domestically, there will be no customs clearance at your destination. If your cats will be residing with you in your destination State, they should be vaccinated for rabies if they are over 3 months of age as residents of the State. This will not be verified at the airport, however.
    Susan

Leave a comment:

• GardeningGirlie
    started a topic Vaccination documents checked at destination?

Vaccination documents checked at destination?

I am flying domestically with my two cats. They will be in the cabin with me and Alaska Airlines does not require a vaccination document if they fly in the cabin. It states that the destination state requires vaccination documents. My question is, if the cats are in carriers with me and I exit the plane and go to the car picking me up, when, where and how are the documents asked for at the destination airport?
Working...
X