Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enforced quarantine for a pet that isn't travelling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforced quarantine for a pet that isn't travelling!

My puppy is in quarantine in the uk because he came from Ireland but had his rabies at eight weeks not twelve. Trading standards have rendered the jab obsolete and put him in quarantine for six weeks. He is having another rabies jab this week because he is now twelve weeks but I still can't have him back because it takes 21 for the vaccine to take effect. This seems ridiculous because there isn't any rabies for him to catch and he isn't leaving the country. Is there a way of having him back when he has had the jab without the ordeal of a further 21 days?
    My understanding is having a rabies vacc is a choice in the uk?

Re: Enforced quarantine for a pet that isn't travelling!

Jacqui - the UK's regulations are pretty clear and they also apply to Ireland and the rest of the EU. Any vaccinations given prior to 12 weeks of age and also prior to the implantation of a microchip do not count. Also, the EU does not classify countries as rabies-free anymore. They 21 day wait is effective for all EU Member States as well as rabies-controlled countries. As you are entering the UK from a non-UK country, the regulations apply.
    Phil

Comment

Working...
    X