Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating with French Bulldog to China

Hi all,

I would appriciate any assistance of experienced people who flied with trans atlantic flight with a french bulldog.
    We suppose to relocate to Shangahai, China from Europe with our french bulldog on June 2020. By this time, his weight suppose to reach approximately 10kg.
    Most of airlins ban this breed from flying because of respiratory issues, and those who are not, have weight limitation of up to 8KG to fly in the cabin.
    Given the respiratory issues of my frenchie, I cannot allow he will fly in the baggage hold. He must fly with me with the cabin.
    If someone here went through similar case recently, I would be glad to know which airline they used and if they were allowed in passenger cabin.

Thanks in advance,
    Marie

Marie - There are several airlines that fly to Shanghai from the EU that allow small dogs and cats in the cabin; however, we have not seen an airline that will allow the weight of the dog and its carrier to be over 8 kg. Over that will likely imply that your dog is too large to fit in an airline-compliant pet carrier. Private charter would be possible but it would be very expensive. You will see emotional support animals in the cabin but most (but not all) airlines will require that the flight involve the US.
    Susan

Comment

Hello, Marie.
      China is friendly to in-cabin French bulldogs. Here are the rules:
      1. Pets subject to quarantine can arrive in China in the cabin or as checked baggage or air cargo at international airports: Shanghai Hongqiao or Pudong, Beijing Capitol and Urumchi Diwabao.
      2. China does not ban the import of any dog breeds, but there are breed restrictions in Shanghai, Chengdu and Beijing. Owners of large does should be aware of restrictions in the city they intend to visit or reside. And the French bulldog is not under their restrictions. Find out the rules of taking a dog to China on this site:[url]https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/china.cfm[/url]

However, most airlines have weight limitations on in-cabin pets but it doesn't apply to Emotional Support Animal or Service Dog. If you and your pup meet the qualification of an ESA owner and ESA dog, you could fly with your dog in the cabin without extra pet fees. However, as the air travel is a new challenge for our furry friend, I suggest you could do enough preparation such as getting an ESA letter and informing the airline of your request (48h+ before departure).

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
        Marie - There are several airlines that fly to Shanghai from the EU that allow small dogs and cats in the cabin; however, we have not seen an airline that will allow the weight of the dog and its carrier to be over 8 kg. Over that will likely imply that your dog is too large to fit in an airline-compliant pet carrier. Private charter would be possible but it would be very expensive. You will see emotional support animals in the cabin but most (but not all) airlines will require that the flight involve the US.
        Susan
        Hi Susan,
        Thank you for the reply. Indeed this is the case from what I checked; hope to find the best solution.
        Have a nice day,
        Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaluna View Post
          Hello, Marie.
          1. Pets subject to quarantine can arrive in China in the cabin or as checked baggage or air cargo at international airports: Shanghai Hongqiao or Pudong, Beijing Capitol and Urumchi Diwabao.
          2. China does not ban the import of any dog breeds, but there are breed restrictions in Shanghai, Chengdu and Beijing. Owners of large does should be aware of restrictions in the city they intend to visit or reside. And the French bulldog is not under their restrictions. Find out the rules of taking a dog to China on this site:[url]https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/china.cfm[/url]

However, most airlines have weight limitations on in-cabin pets but it doesn't apply to Emotional Support Animal or Service Dog. If you and your pup meet the qualification of an ESA owner and ESA dog, you could fly with your dog in the cabin without extra pet fees. However, as the air travel is a new challenge for our furry friend, I suggest you could do enough preparation such as getting an ESA letter and informing the airline of your request (48h+ before departure).
          Hi Luna,
          Thanks for the information, It's been very helpfull .
          Have a nice day,
          marie

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaluna View Post
            Hello, Marie.

thanks for sharing this

Comment

Hi,
              I have quite similar but different problem. I have a french french , 9 kg, we will need to fly to Singapore from Beijing, China. I'm confused which airlines can take a french bulldog.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated. Thank you

Comment

Mira - try Korean Air as they do fly snub-nosed breeds as long as temperatures are not extreme. They are one f the fewairlines that fly snub-nosed breeds.
                Susan

Comment

Susan,

Will try to call Korean Air. Hope they have flight Beijing to Singapore.
                  Thank's a lot, Susan. It's very helpfull.

Comment

Mira - yes, they do fly the route through Seoul.

Comment

Working...
                    X