Questions about traveling with a pet?

Contact | Email | Facebook

USDA Health Certificate Endorsement

All pets registered in the United States must have USDA endorsement of their dog and cat's health certificates

All resident pets leaving the United States need a veterinarian certificate issued in the United States with an official USDA Endorsement stamp. This also includes pets who are traveling through the US whose destination country health certificates have expired.

This endorsement is issued by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) APHIS (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) VS (Veterinary Services) Area Office in the State in which your accredited veterinarian resides. Depending on your pet's destination country, this form could be an APHIS 7001 form or your destination country's health certificate.

The following is the procedure for acquiring USDA endorsement.

Have an accredited veterinarian complete the veterinary health certificate for the country you are visiting, which if you are traveling to an EU country is the new Annex IV. If you do not have the forms for the country you are traveling to or need the Annex IV you can find it at Pet Travel Store.

Your accredited veterinarian will complete the form including vaccination information and reflect that the pet is parasite free and in good health. The accredited veterinarian must then sign it in blue ink. Note that all veterinary certificates which must be endorsed must carry the veterinarian's USDA certification number.

Mail or carry the original of the form to the USDA/APHIS/VS Area Office in your state and they will endorse and stamp them. There is a fee per form, however, depending on your pet's destination country, more than 1 animal can be listed on a form. If your vet uses separate forms for each animal, it will be a separate fee per form. For countries where there is a titer or blood tests there is an additional cost.

If the Area office is not located nearby, you can send the forms by mail. You will need to include:

  • The original of the form
  • The payment in the form of credit card information or money order.
  • A self-addressed, stamped envelope for returning the form to you.

We recommend using expedited service both ways that offers delivery tracking.

Each state has a USDA/APHIS/VS area veterinarian. You can find the nearest USDA State office.

For additional information, call the USDA Veterinary Services office at 301-851-3300. Public inquiries should be directed to the nearest APHIS/VS Area Office.

USDA Certification

Need More Information?

We have current and accurate information on traveling with your pet by air, sea or ground. Find more Pet Travel Information

Didn't find what you were looking for?

If you have questions, please post to our blog or Facebook or send us an email us at We will respond as soon as we can.