What Your Pet Friendly Hotel May Require
You need to be aware of pet friendly hotel pet policies that require proof of the good health of your traveling pet. Even though they are pet friendly, they still want to protect their property, their guests and their pets.
If you are traveling with your your pet, you should always carry a certificate of good health from your veterinarian. This certificate will state that your pet is in good health; free from parasites and that it's shot record is up to date. For domestic travel the date on the certificate is not important as long as the shots have not expired. For International travel it should not be more than sixty days, and in some cases 30 days since it was issued.
They may require you to show proof that your pet is on a regular flea and tick treatment plan such as Advantage.Be a Considerate Pet Traveler
Pet Travel is an advocate for all types of accommodations to accept pets. We are always sorry when one tells us to remove them from the database because they no longer will accept travelers with pets. Sometimes it is just one bad experience that causes this action. Please follow these common sense rules:
- Keep your pet leashed when on the premises at all times. Find out which areas of the hotel are off limits to pets.
- Respect the hotel guests. Although pets are great conversation starters, not all people like pets.
- Don't leave your pet alone in the room for any length of time that it may start barking,(some properties do not allow you to leave it alone for even 1 minute).
- If you need to leave your pet then call a pet sitter to come to your hotel to take care of your pet in your absence.
- If your pet likes to sit on the couch with you to watch TV, then put down a sheet or towel for them to lie on.
- Consider using a pet door hanger that will alert visitors and hotel staff that a pet is in the room.
- Request a ground floor room so pet walks are easy for you both.
- Pick up after your pet. Can you believe that some people will take their pets for a walk on the hotel grounds and not pick up after them?
Using some consideration and common sense will make your visit smoother for you, your pet, and the hotel management.