Tweet Pet Travel Pet Travel Forum Pet Travel Blog Pet Travel on Facebook


Pet Travel Blog

Pet Passport
Have a question or concern? Reach out to others who have taken your journey with their pet for advice. Just gone to a fabulous place with your pet? Let us all know about it.

To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given country may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the need to make arrangements to put the pet into quarantine, return the pet to the country of origin, or destroy the pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.

Home > Pet Passports > Korea (South)

Pet Passport Korea

Dog Passport Korea

Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to South Korea

Countries that South Korea recognizes as rabies free: Andorra, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei, Cape Verde, Cayman Islands, Comoros, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Egypt, Estonia, Fiji Islands, Finland, French Guinea, French Polynesia, Germany, Guadeloupe Island, Guam, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kiribati (Christmas Island), Kuwait, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Maldives, Malta, Martinique, Mauritius, Micronesia, New Zealand, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, Qatar, Reunion Island, Saint Thomas, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Seychelles, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Vanuatu, and Wallis and Futuna.

If your pet has resided in one of the above countries for a period of not less than 6 months, or was born in one of these countries, the import requirements for taking a pet to South Korea are as follows:

The following countries have forms issued by the official government veterinarian which are accepted in South Korea:

Please note that English is accepted as an alternative language, but no other foreign languages are accepted. If your pet is traveling from the EU, we would suggest that you check with your embassy as to what the proper form would be.

When you arrive at the international airport, you must go to the NVRQS(National Veterinary Research & Quarantine Service) office with your pet and its certificate for the purpose of quarantine procedure. Your pet will be released into your custody the same day provided that you submit the required Veterinary Certificate and upon inspection the pet is found to be healthy.

*NOTE: Malaysia has reported a rabies incident and will require a titer test until further notice.

Cats imported from Australia and cats and dogs imported from Malaysia require an additional certificate confirming that the animal has been kept in an area free of Hendra and Nipah viruses, or that the animal produced a negative result in a Hendra and Nipah virus test. Without such a certificate, the quarantine period will be extended by 21 days.

Dog Passport Korea

Pet birds must be quarantined for a period of 5 days unless they were held in quarantine in the country from which they came for a period of at least five days. In this case, the quarantine will be 1 day.

Whenever you travel to a foreign country like Korea, it is always advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of the pet.

Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.

Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Korea. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.

Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Korea. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.

If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a turtle or parrot, you should verify that it is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITIES).  You will need to apply for additional permits if this is the case. Search their database. Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITIES regulations. Read more about CITIES.

Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.

The information published here is a guideline for pet owners importing their pet to Korea. Further detail on import permits (if applicable), costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at if you need them. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping until 4:00 PM EST.

GOT QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS??? You can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, forum or just enter them below. We will respond as soon as we can.

We will be moving to Korea in 2 months. I was wondering is the a no travel time in which you make pets wait 180 days after getting blood tests done before they can fly to Korea? My vet thought this was a regulation or requirement and now I am freaking out. Please help me out!
Posted on 2013-07-16 23:37:42.0
Hello there....My nieces (leaving in Switzerland) bought a dog while vacationing in Korea. The Korean Vet gave them a passport with all the required vaccines. What kind of procedures will they have to face while arriving in European soil? (they will arrive in Paris then will take another plane to Switzerland) ... THANK YOU !!!!!
Posted on 2013-10-27 18:28:17.0
le chien sera peut-etre sous quarantine. Ils vont ca in USA et UK, mais europe continental faut regarder le pays de destination. Suisse donc?
Posted on 2013-10-27 21:46:29.0
Because Korea is considered by the EU to be a country with a high incidence of rabies, here is the procedure that must be followed to enter the EU. The steps must be followed in order. First, a 15 digit microchip must be inserted, then a rabies vaccination must be administered. No sooner than 30 days after the vaccination, a Blood Titer test is administered and processed by an approved laboratory. Assuming acceptable results, your dog can enter the EU 90 days after the date the blood was drawn. An Annex II form for France and a veterinary certificate for Switzerland will be filled out by a licensed veterinarian within 10 days of travel and is endorsed by the country veterinarian. If you need instructions and forms for both countries, you can find them at
Posted on 2013-11-08 21:55:33.0
The titer test is a requirement depending on the country of import. It has to be done more than 30 days prior to import.
Posted on 2014-01-23 04:01:12.0
He should be able to stand up and turn around in the carrier. When under the seat he will be laying down, so that is not an issue. His head does not need to be totally erect.
Posted on 2014-06-14 02:02:32.0

PetTravel why 90 days after the blood titer test? I am looking at many official websites and most of them do not indicate that one must wait 90 days after the titer test is performed to fly the dog.
Posted on 2014-06-18 04:44:33.0

PetTravel But why did you indicate more than 90 days prior to import in your other post for Korea? I am profoundly confused. Many official websites detailing pet import requirements to Korea do not mention anything about needing to wait any amount of time prior to getting the titer test results back. Please advise thanks. I don't understand the wait? If the results are the results? Aren't they the results? What does the 30 or 90 day wait accomplish? Especially since regulations say that if the dog does not get a titer test done in the export country, it can get it done in Korea.....
Posted on 2014-06-18 04:46:48.0
Hi Norell - the other post was for someone traveling to the EU from Korea. For hi-rabies countries, there is a 90 day wait if you are going to the EU from Korea. If you are entering Korea from another country, then the titer test must be done at least 30 days prior to entry. As to your question for the 30 day wait, most countries will stipulate that pets are vaccinated at least 30 days prior to entry so that the rabies antibodies can build up in their blood. It takes between 3 weeks and one month to do this.
Posted on 2014-06-19 03:22:03.0
Norell - those are the regulations of the EU to import a pet from a high-rabies country.
Posted on 2014-07-11 21:32:56.0
Hi! Im planning to bring a pet dg to South Korea and give it as a gift to my friend. Would it be difficult to do that? My friend wants an American Bully
Posted on 2014-07-25 08:53:02.0
Mark - Where will the puppy be entering South Korea from? What will be the age of the puppy when imported?
Posted on 2014-07-30 04:11:08.0
It's coming from the Philippines. Will it be better if I just send the dog over there as well rather going with it?
Posted on 2014-07-30 04:50:15.0
The dog is 3 months old now :)
Posted on 2014-07-30 07:48:17.0
Mark - you will need to have your pup microchipped and vaccinated for rabies and wait 30 days before getting a Blood Titer Test. You cannot enter Korea until 30 days after the titer test. You will also need a veterinary certificate. Details here:
Posted on 2014-07-31 02:19:40.0
Mark - there are few airlines that will permit pets to travel in-cabin. You can transport your pup without flying with it, but you will need to contact the cargo department of an airline that flies the entire route. Airlines do not interline pets. Obviously, if you can travel with the pup in the cabin, that would be better than transporting it in cargo.
Posted on 2014-07-31 02:22:08.0
I am planning on moving to korea next august. I have 3 small cats and a parrot I've had since before i was born (my mothers) I want to bring with me. I understand I wouldn't have much of a problem with the cats. Theyre all microchiped and up to date on their vaccines etc. My parrot (Double Yellow headed amazon) is my main concern.. he has a band on his leg proving he isnt a wild. I want to make sure I am able to bring him as well before I finally get the place I've been looking at...
Posted on 2014-09-27 07:34:50.0
Hi Rebecca - you will need a quarantine certificate when importing a bird to Korea. There is a list of birds permitted to enter and you will need to call to find out whether your bird is on the list. +82-32-740-2660
Posted on 2014-09-28 13:53:16.0
Rebecca - forgot to mention that you should check CITIES requirements for your parrot.
Posted on 2014-09-29 11:32:24.0
What happen if I don't have the blood test result for my cat when I arrive in Korea?
Posted on 2014-10-15 20:23:37.0
Dee - your cat will either be quarantined, returned to its origin or euthanized. We would not attempt to enter Korea unless the requirements were followed. Can't predict the outcome.
Posted on 2014-10-17 02:45:17.0
Hi petTravel. What kind of Blood Titer Test should be done? By the way, the dog is coming from the Philippines. Blood titer Test that they are using here is an ELISA test kit, wherein they will just drop the blood sample in the test kit and it will show if the dog is positive with rabies virus or otherwise. But it doesn't show the level of antibody titer for rabies. Will that be enough and a certificate from the veterinarian that the dog was vaccinated against rabies? Thank you.
Posted on 2014-11-02 03:12:06.0
Hello, To be specific, it's the FAVN rabies-neutralizing antibody test. The results must have an antibody level greater or higher than 0.5 IU/ml.
Posted on 2014-11-03 19:32:11.0
Hi Pet Travel, I plan on coming back to Korea in February 2015 from YiWu, China. I bought my dog in Korea prior to moving to China and I have his veterinary certificates from Korea. What do I need to provide when I return? I would greatly appreciate advice and suggestions on where to go in China. Thank you!
Posted on 2014-11-16 09:29:37.0
Kim - your pet will need a microchip, proof of rabies vaccination, Blood Titer Test and a veterinary certificate to enter Korea from China. You can find details and links for instructions and forms here if you need them:
Posted on 2014-11-17 04:15:27.0
Hello Pet Travel. My family including 2 cats and a dog are am travelling to Sakhalin Island in the Russian Federation Via Incheon airport. We are flying Korean airlines from Auckland arriving in Seoul at 6pm then travelling onwards with another airline at 10am the next morning. I contacted Korean airlines and they stated that they do not have layover facilities for pets and that I would have to enter Korea with my pets then check them in on the Sakhalin flight the next morning. Because NZ is a rabies free country I don't believe there will be any issues with entering Korea, and I think it should be no problem to import my pets from Korea to Russia. Let me know if you think I am wrong! However I am not sure where I can keep my pets for the 16hr layover. Are there any kennels/ Catteries near the airport that I can check them into or do you think that its better to find a pet friendly hotel?? I am not sure how many would accept 2 cats and Dog. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Posted on 2014-11-19 07:32:06.0
Hello Pet Travel. My family including 2 cats and a dog are am travelling to Sakhalin Island in the Russian Federation Via Incheon airport. We are flying Korean airlines from Auckland arriving in Seoul at 6pm then travelling onwards with another airline at 10am the next morning. I contacted Korean airlines and they stated that they do not have layover facilities for pets and that I would have to enter Korea with my pets then check them in on the Sakhalin flight the next morning. Because NZ is a rabies free country I don't believe there will be any issues with entering Korea, and I think it should be no problem to import my pets from Korea to Russia. Let me know if you think I am wrong! However I am not sure where I can keep my pets for the 16hr layover. Are there any kennels/ Catteries near the airport that I can check them into or do you think that its better to find a pet friendly hotel?? I am not sure how many would accept 2 cats and Dog. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Posted on 2014-11-19 17:01:58.0
Karl -quarantine should not be required in Seoul when entering from New Zealand. Be aware that you may not meet the hours of a kennel by the time you clear customs and may need to resort to a hotel. My suggestion would be to contact an agent in Seoul to make arrangements for you. You can search for one at
Posted on 2014-11-21 02:48:31.0
Hello Pet Travel, I will be transiting through Korea on my way to Myanmar (Burma). I'll fly American Air from Dallas to Seoul and then switch to Korean Air for the Seoul (Incheon) to Yangon leg. I'll have my cat with me in the cabin to Seoul, but because he's too big for the cabin, he'll need to fly cargo Seoul to Yangon. Do I need a blood titer test for the cat just to transfer through Seoul? Thank you!
Posted on 2014-11-21 15:44:07.0
Karen - we hear from a lot of folks who try to route their flight so their pet can travel in the cabin part of the way and finish in the cargo hold. This causes some issues that may wind up being more stressful for your kitty and play havok with your schedule. To respond to your question, if you are changing airlines and classes of service in Seoul, then you will need to clear customs and enter the country. You will need to conform to all of Korea's regulations and you will need a titer test. No telling how long it will take to clear customs and what happens if there is a problem? Hate to sound negative, but we always suggest to pet travelers to stay on the same airline for the entire flight. You may want to look at Cathay Pacific through Hong Kong. Just a suggestion, of course.
Posted on 2014-11-22 04:21:15.0
PetTravel Thank you for your quick reply. And the titers need to be 30+ days out, right? I don't have any choice as to the airlines I fly, unfortunately. I work for the government and they choose the airlines.
Posted on 2014-11-22 13:57:14.0
Karen Hirschfeld You are correct. If your cat has not previously been vaccinated for rabies, you should wait 30 days after the vaccination to administer the test. If your cat's vaccinations have been kept current, then it should have ample antibodies in the blood unless the vaccination is due to expire.
Posted on 2014-11-24 04:29:12.0
Does the Veterinary Certificate for S Korea have to be done within 10 days of travel like the Airline Certificate?
Posted on 2014-11-24 20:48:48.0
Generally, the rule is within 14 days of entry (except the EU and a few other countries) Korea is not specific with the time frame.
Posted on 2014-11-25 02:58:59.0

Is there a limit if the number of pets per person?
Posted on 2014-12-25 19:26:33.0
What type of pets are you importing to Colombia?
Posted on 2014-12-27 19:07:15.0
Hey. If I am travelling from Ireland to South Korea, because it is a non rabies country is it possible to bring her without the blood titer test as it is a rushed trip and need to go in 28 days. she has all necessary vaccinations including rabies vaccine, she is microchipped and has her eu pet passport Thank you :)
Posted on 2015-01-30 16:31:16.0
How soon after 2nd rabies can the blood for FAVN test be taken? My cat will be getting her annual rabies tomorrow. We will be heading to Korea from US in May. Thank you.
Posted on 2015-02-02 02:46:26.0
Sarah - you will not need a titer test when entering from Ireland.
Posted on 2015-02-02 04:55:12.0
Christina - the titer test cannot be administered sooner than 30 days prior to entry. If your cat's vaccination is an annual booster and the previous vaccination had not expired, there is no set time you must wait to have the test done. However, if you can give the vaccine some time to boost the antibody county, this will increase your chances of a good result. Your vet can elaborate.
Posted on 2015-02-02 04:59:22.0
I will be traveling with two cats from Frankfurt to Busan July 31. I just want to confirm my understanding. 1) the cats have microchips, 2) they do not need the titer test (they have been in Germany for close to 2 years but were in Indonesia and Japan), 3) they need a rabies shot at least 30 days before traveling and 4) they need a health certificate 7-10 days before traveling. Will they need flea treatments or anything else? Will the airlines take animals in the summer?
Posted on 2015-02-07 22:58:46.0
Hi, I will be moving to South Korea ideally straight from Kerala, India where I rescued a kitten. I want to take the cat to SK with me and wonder whether a laboratory test carried out here, along with authorizing body in India would be allowed OR do I have to get the blood test done in a recognised laboratory?
Posted on 2015-02-09 09:58:42.0
Jennifer - as long as the regulations do not change, you are correct in your assumptions. Flea treatments are always a good idea. Summertime travel with your cats in cargo could be problematic. Try scheduling your flight at night when temperatures are not as hot.
Posted on 2015-02-13 01:42:37.0
Anna - Korea's regulations state: The rabies-neutralizing antibody test must be administered by an internationally approved laboratory or by the competent authority of the exporting country. There is not a laboratory listed in the EU recognized labs in India.
Posted on 2015-02-13 01:46:31.0
Hi, I want to take my 4 yr old cat from South Africa to South Korea - where can I get her TITER certificate done, and when is the earliest I can do it before taking her to SK? Also what are the specifications for her microchip, can I get it done in Grahamstown? or where is the nearest city I can do that? thanks. Mira
Posted on 2015-02-22 12:58:50.0
I willbe travelling from Saudi Arabia with two dogs. Is there an approved lab here for the blood test? If not,can the sample be sent to a different clhntry and still be valid for travel from Saudi to Korea, provides the blood just leaves the country and the dogs never leave Saudi?
Posted on 2015-02-22 16:18:00.0
Mira - you can get the titer test done in SA. ARC-Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute - Tel: 012 529 9111 - 012 529 9439 – 012 529 9420 Fax: 012 529 9390 E-mail:
Posted on 2015-02-24 02:24:58.0
Amber - there is not an approved lab in Saudi Arabia to process your dogs' sample for the titer test, but you can send it to South Korea for testing: National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Service (NVRQS), 480, Anyang 6-dong, Manan-gu, Anyang city, Gyeonggi-do 430-824, Tel/Fax: + 82 31 467 1854/ 1868 E-mail:
Posted on 2015-02-24 02:28:26.0
Great, thank you so much!! this un-complicates my life some :)
Posted on 2015-02-24 11:34:23.0
PetTravel What if I go to the USA, get the TITER test done there, then fly to Korea from there? How long will it take the approved lab to process the blood sample in the US? All I can see here is the rules for if the pets have been in certain countries for six months.
Posted on 2015-03-01 19:54:44.0
Amber Morgan Amber - it is not necessary to relocate to the US to process the titer test. Your vet need to send the sample in a refrigerated blood pack to the lab in South Korea. From what we understand, it can take up to 6 weeks to have the sample processed in the US as there is only one approved lab in the country.
Posted on 2015-03-03 01:38:58.0
Hi PetTravel, I'm travelling from Canada to Korea with my dog on May 9th. I'm little confused with the date I have to do the blood test and get the health certificate. Does it mean I have to get the blood test before April 9th, or after April 9th? and how long does it usually take to get the result back,?
Posted on 2015-03-05 20:28:47.0
Hello - as long as at least 30 days have elapsed from your pet's rabies vaccination, you should go ahead with the titer test. It must be done at least 30 days prior to entering, but the results can take 6 weeks to get in the US. Know that, if your pet's rabies vaccination is due to expire in the next several months, it will increase your chances of a good result if you get the revaccination early and wait 30 days prior to the titer test.
Posted on 2015-03-07 19:02:20.0
Hello, I did search the comments below to find answer but didn't see one that fit, "clearcoated" is most similar to my question: I'm traveling from USA to Changchun, China via Incheon Airport on Asiana flight. Titer Test for my dog and all other Vet and USDA certs are will be done. I will have dog travel with me as checked luggage on the same flight. I will have transfer of international flights US-Korea, Korea-China (Changchun). I'm unsure I understand what requirements are needed for my Dog to leave transit through Korea. ... can you clarify for me what maybe my problems or concerns? Thank-you,
Posted on 2015-03-09 13:06:31.0
As long as you are flying in and out of Korea on the same airline, you should transit the country and do not need to conform to their regulations. Stay in the terminal and do not clear customs.
Posted on 2015-03-12 04:39:32.0
Hi Tony - as long as you are flying in and out of Seoul on the same airline (as it appears from your post that you are) and as long as your layover is less than 2 hours, the airline will transfer your pet from plane to plane and so it will transit the airport and will not be required to enter Korea or conform to its regulations. Good idea to travel with a titer test. ;o)
Posted on 2015-03-12 04:42:38.0
PetTravel I have spoken to my vet, and he says that the closest country with an approved lab is Germany, he said that he can get the results back within two weeks. This sounds wrong to me, as everywhere else is 4-6 weeks. He hasn't sent animals to Korea before, so I am worried that Korea might not accept the results from the lab in Germany. He said that European countries accept the results from this lab. Do you know if Korea will too? Or must the results only be processed in either the country of origin or the lab in Korea?
Posted on 2015-04-06 10:31:58.0
Hi PetTravel! I am planning to take a cat from Russia to South Korea. She has her micro chip, rabies and titus tests. Is there anything else that she needs?
Posted on 2015-04-15 09:53:17.0
Hi pet travel! I have some questions for u! I am planning on traveling with my dog probably in July so like 3 months from now from U.S. to Korea. My dog's rabies vaccine certificate will expire in July and I will be giving him another vaccination in July. Here is my question. Is it okay for me to go to my veterinarian within this month to do his blood titer test and get a result within a month then get the health certificate right away, and then just keep those documents till July and mail them to the aphis office to have them endorsed prior to 10days from my flight date? Do blood titer test result document and health certificate have some kind of expiration date? or can i just have the documents ready within april or may, keep them until July, have them endorsed by aphis in July before 10days prior to my flight? was my explanation good enough? Haha Thanks!
Posted on 2015-04-20 07:53:59.0
Oh and should i just give him another rabies vaccination like tomorrow and wait for 30days and then do the blood titer test in may because the 2nd vaccination in due in 3 months? When is a good time to get a health certificate? I know I should have it endorsed by aphis 10days prior to flight but do i have to get the certificate around that time frame too?
Posted on 2015-04-20 08:01:39.0
Hello! I am an American currently living in Portugal and am going to Korea. My two cats have a Rabies favin result from a Portugese vet. Will that be okay to submit? There is not an US vet in the country. We are stopping in the US for about 3 weeks on the way but that would not be enough time to have blood drawn and get results. Thank you.
Posted on 2015-04-21 11:51:18.0
Oh, forgot to add that the lab that did the favin tests is on an approved EU list.
Posted on 2015-04-21 11:53:32.0
Monica - your titer test must not be more than 24 months old or Korea will not accept it. Your cats should be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order) before leaving Portugal and traveling with an EU pet passport.
Posted on 2015-05-01 04:35:03.0
Claire - your cat will need a health certificate issued shortly prior to travel. The form should be issued by the Russian Federal Service for Veterinary and Phytosanitary Surveillance. You should also carry her vaccination history not only for rabies but for other feline vaccines.
Posted on 2015-05-01 04:38:14.0
Ha Yoon Cha You should revaccinate your pet, then wait at least 21 days and have your vet do a titer test. (the wait will give the rabies antibodies time to build up in the blood.) The titer test is good for 24 months. The health certificate should be done within 10-14 days of travel.
Posted on 2015-05-02 02:23:06.0

HI PetTravel, I am a Catholic Monk in Russia, but originally from Philippines, I am going back to Philippines this Saturday, but bringing with me dogs, I will ba passing Korea ( Inchon) as my stop over, however the Aurora Airline (Russian air) assured me of chceking in the animals directly to Philippines even if the Airlines are different (I will be flying to Philippines from Inchon via Philippine Airlines(PAL). I will be arriving Korea at 12:10 pm and have my next flight at 8:00pm on the same day, Please help me what do I do? or what kind of test or docx that my dogs need to? please help, as this is urgent, I didn know how complicated things would be, I thought that as long as the vet records with all the vaccines are there, I thought Im good to go. PLEASE HELP, I need you help ASAP. Thank you and God Bless you.
Posted on 2015-06-14 21:53:57.0

Hello Kathryn - it is good to start preparations early for your daughter's dog to return to the UK as South Korea is considered a high-rabies country by the UK and a titer test will be required 3 months ahead of time. The steps are all outlined here: The pup will need to travel as air cargo and the airline must be approved to fly live animals into the UK. Generally, they also include the cost of an agent to claim your pet and take it to the Animal Reception Center where your daughter will pick it up. It is not inexpensive.
Posted on 2015-06-18 03:31:39.0

Canan - unfortunately, when you change airlines, you need to claim and recheck your pet unless there is a special code sharing agreement. This causes you to clear customs. If this is the case, your cat will not be released to you within the 2 hour layover as it will take the better part of a day to clear your pet. It is worthy to make all efforts to keep your cat with you in the cabin, but not if it means you need to clear customs in Korea. How about Lufthansa that has a 2 hour connection in Frankfurt, then a direct flight to Qingdao. Much better route for your kitty. Just a suggestion.
Posted on 2015-06-18 03:52:53.0

Hello - the key is whether your airlines will hold your dogs for 8 hours and transfer them to the next plane. You need to confirm that this is the case. To enter the Philippines, you will need a Veterinary Quarantine Clearance to Import from the Bureau of Animal Industry. You will also need a letter stating that no cases of rabies have been reported within a 12.5 mile (20 kilometer) radius of the point of origin in the last 6 months. Your dog must also be vaccinated against canine, distemper, infectious hepatitis, leptospirosis, and canine parvovirus. Your dogs will need a health certificate and a ticks and tapeworm treatment very shortly prior to travel. You can find details here:
Posted on 2015-06-18 03:59:55.0

I am traveling from Mexico City, through Vancouver to Seoul, Korea. The Chihuahua is 9 months old and is Mexican. I would like ot bring to Korea for my visit. What will I need to do exactly? Do I need to do anything well in advance as I would like to travel in July or August. Lastly, will I have to do the same paper work for Canada. I am a Canadian resident as well. Thanks for your help. Please email me at
Posted on 2015-06-18 05:55:31.0

I will also be traveling to Japan, and Philippines later in the years as well. Can I take her with me in the cabin?
Posted on 2015-06-18 06:05:33.0

Kevin - don't think the necklace thing will fly. Korean regulations are pretty clear about the chip (as are all other countries that require it). We have never seen an exception to this rule of an ISO microchip.
Posted on 2015-07-04 20:00:39.0

Christopher - you can find requirements to take your Chi to Korea here: The paperwork you will need for Canada is minimal; proof of rabies vaccination and your vet certificate for Korea should be fine. You will not need any documentation if you are transiting Canada.
Posted on 2015-07-04 20:03:33.0

PetTravel I see. Thank you for clarifying! Incheon International Airport says on its official website that microchip could either be implantation type or necklace type, but I wasn't sure what they meant by necklace type. I think we will have it implanted!
Posted on 2015-07-04 20:27:27.0

We are traveling with our small dog IN CABIN on Korean Air from Houston (IAH) to HoChiMinhCity (SGN) with a four hour layover in Seoul. Do I need to complete all the import paperwork for Seoul (including the blood titer test) AND Vietnam? We would not be leaving the airport in Seoul and we would be on Korean Air for both legs of the journey. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thank you.
Posted on 2015-07-08 22:38:29.0

I'm from USA- So provided you have all the documents/microchips/tests how long is the quarantine in South Korea? I've heard a lot about a standard being 6 months but that seems outragous. How long is it actually?
Posted on 2015-07-26 18:18:22.0

Hello, I was told today by a Delta representative that Dogs are not being allowed to fly into Incheon, South Korea until September 27th. Is there any truth to this?
Posted on 2015-07-31 23:34:44.0

Either as Cargo or as a Carry on?
Posted on 2015-07-31 23:37:14.0

I am traveling from Germany to South Korea but have to fly to San Francisco, spend one night, then fly on to Korea. I will have all the paperwork as if we were going direct to Korea, but because we are flying on official orders we have to through the U.S. Will I have to get another certificate or do anything in the U.S. Before our connecting flight the following day?
Posted on 2015-08-03 21:32:19.0

We are bringing our cat to Seoul frm Spain. Does the cat need a rabies-neutralizing antibody test as Spain is a rabies free country?
Posted on 2015-08-03 23:40:29.0

Maria - Spain is not a rabies free country and pets entering Korea from Spain will require the titer test. Details here:
Posted on 2015-08-05 03:34:17.0

Tamara - your pet will need to enter the US and your EU Pet Passport (if you have one) or your paperwork for Korea will suffice. As long as your health certificate for Korea has not expired by the time you depart the US, you should not need additional paperwork for US Customs officials. However, Korea considers Germany a rabies-free country and waives the titer test requirement for the country and, if you enter the US, you will lose that exemption. If you have done the titer test according to Korean regulations, it is a moot point. if you have not, it will most likely cause problems as you are technically entering Korea from the US, a country that Korea does not consider as rabies free.
Posted on 2015-08-05 03:44:48.0

Justin - Delta, as do many airlines, do not transport pets to areas where temperatures exceed 85 degrees. As for in-cabin travel, US based airlines will not allow pets to travel in the cabin on legs longer than 9 hours due to Animal Welfare Act regulations.
Posted on 2015-08-05 03:54:23.0

Elizabeth - if the regulatons for entering Korea from the US are met, there should be no quarantine required. Details here:
Posted on 2015-08-05 04:03:36.0

Anna - according to Korean regulations, the titer test must be administered by an internationally approved laboratory or by the competent authority of the exporting country.
Posted on 2015-08-05 04:06:57.0

As long as you do not leave the terminal and clear customs in Seoul, then you will not enter Korea and conform to its regulations.
Posted on 2015-08-05 04:08:10.0

PetTravel Thanks! Thats what I thought I was reading but need confirmation.
Posted on 2015-08-05 04:10:46.0

I am planning to bring my cats from the United States to Hanoi, Vietnam and will transit through Seoul. I will fly to Seoul using United Airlines and then will switch to Asiana Airlines for the trip to Hanoi. The cats will be traveling as checked baggage. Do I need to pick up my cats in Korea, clear Korean Customs, and then re-check them on Asiana? Or will United transfer the cats to Asiana for me and I do not have to deal with Korean customs? Would it be any easier or harder to take the cats through Japan instead of Korea?
Posted on 2015-08-07 09:34:32.0

Hey ... I'm an American living in Laos but will be headed back to California with my Cat. First I will travel from Vientiane(Laos) to Bangkok and then Seoul with a layover and then to Lax USA using Korean Air. 1 Can/should I bring my cat with me in cabin on Korean air ? Is there some speical carrying bag that Korean air wants me to useif I take the cat in the cabin ? 2 I have had rabbies shots for my cat is there anything else I need to get ? 3 I have a layover in Seoul, but don't plan to leave the airport during that time do I need to do anythng special for Korea ? 4 When finally getting to Lax ... I've read that there is no speical papers needed for a cat entering the USA...Is that right ? THanks I know that was a bit long.
Posted on 2015-08-18 07:01:47.0

I want to take my dog from Ireland to South Korea and I am looking into routes from dublin to Moscow direct with s7 and the stay in Moscow over night and go direct from Moscow to seoul with Aeroflot. I have two questions; do I need a special certificate to prove the value of dog from Russia? And because I am passing through Russia will my dog still be ok to enter South Korea without quarantine?
Posted on 2015-08-21 19:31:15.0