Tweet Pet Travel Pet Travel Forum Pet Travel Blog Pet Travel on Facebook


Pet Travel Blog

Pet Passport
Have a question or concern? Reach out to others who have taken your journey with their pet for advice. Just gone to a fabulous place with your pet? Let us all know about it.

To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given country may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the need to make arrangements to put the pet into quarantine, return the pet to the country of origin, or destroy the pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.

Home > Pet Passports > Japan

Pet Passport Japan

Dog Passport Japan

Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to Japan

Pets over 90 days of age entering Japan from the rabies free countries of: Iceland, Australia, New Zealand Fiji, Hawaii and Guam provided they have resided in those countries for at least 180 days:

This completes a passport for your dog or cat to enter Japan from rabies free countries listed above.

On arrival, dogs and cats must undergo import quarantine for a set period to screen out rabies (and in the case of dogs, rabies and leptospirosis), depending on conditions. Furthermore, in order to check whether they have contracted the diseases in isolation from other animals or humans, the animals are held in the quarantine facilities of the Animal Quarantine Service (AQS). Please bear in mind that even when a long quarantine period is necessary, quarantine cannot be allowed at any place other than the premises of AQS.

Pets over 90 days old entering Japan from any country other than those listed above, the following requirements must be followed in the order given:

Pets not meeting the above requirements shall be quarantined for 180 days after arrival in Japan.

This completes a passport for your dog or cat to enter Japan from non rabies free countries.

Dogs can only be imported at the following 17 seaports and airports:

Sea ports: Tomakomai Port, Keihin Port (Tokyo, Yokohama), Nagoya Port, Hanshin Port (Osaka, Kobe), Kanmon Port, Hakata Port, Kagoshima Port and Naha Port
Airports: Shin(New)-Chitose Airport, Narita International Airport, Tokyo International Airport (Haneda), Chubu International Airport, Kansai International Airport, Kitakyushu Airport, Fukuoka Airport, Kagoshima Airport and Naha Airport

Dog Passport Japan

Your dog or cat should fly a direct route to Japan if at all possible, otherwise, your pet's crate will need to be sealed.

Whenever you travel to a foreign country like Japan, it is always advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of the pet.

Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.

Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Japan. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.

Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Japan. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination. All animals other than dogs and cats will be subject to quarantine on arrival.

If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a turtle or parrot, you should verify that it is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITIES).  You will need to apply for additional permits if this is the case. Search their database. Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITIES regulations. Read more about CITIES.

Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.

Need a pet friendly hotel in Japan?

The information published here is a guideline for pet owners importing their pet to Japan. Further detail on import permits (if applicable), costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at if you need them. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping until 4:00 PM EST.

GOT QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS??? You can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, forum or just enter them below. We will respond as soon as we can.

Basically if I got puppy and I want to enter Japan soon. Do I have to wait till puppy will be 10 month old ??according to regulation, 91 days is first rabies vaccine, after first on 31 days is second one (booster) blood test can do at the same day ?? and after blood collected do we have to wait 180 days more? The puppy will be a big dog 10 month old by then :( there any chances to enter Japan earlier than that for newborn pets? Thank you in advance
Posted on 2014-09-22 11:28:12.0
Hello Julia - Japan is very strict as to the import of pets. They do not mention any exemptions for the import of un-vaccinated puppies from high-risk countries (like Thailand). So, get your pup microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies not sooner than 91 days old. Then another vaccination 31 days after the first one. The blood titer test can be done right after the second rabies vaccination, but the wait after the titer test is done is 180 days. that would put the import age at no sooner than 10 months.
Posted on 2014-09-25 02:41:14.0
I'm asking this for my boss at work (in Japan). She's planning on bringing both of her dogs (Huskies) to the states, leaving one of them there and taking the other back to Japan again with her. From what I've read online, it seems like she needs to get both of her dogs checked by a USDA accredited veterinarian and then have the papers endorsed by a veterinary service area office. The problem is, how do we locate both of those facilities in Japan (Tokyo)? And what does she need to do when bringing (one of) her dog back to Japan? Thank you for your time.
Posted on 2014-10-03 10:46:45.0
Julia - your boss will need to have a health certificate issued within 10 days of travel and proof of rabies vaccination at least 30 days prior to entry to the US. It will not need USDA endorsement. USDA endorsement is required for US resident dogs and cats to leave the US. Now, in order to return to Japan, it is a bit more complicated and there is quarantine involved. You have to give the Animal Quarantine Service a 40 day notice of import. Her dog must be microchipped, vaccinated at least twice for rabies, titer tested and a veterinary certificate. You can find all the details and links to instructions and forms here if you need them:
Posted on 2014-10-05 03:39:44.0
Hello. I have 2 bull dogs. Are they allowed in Japan...being they meet all other requirements. Thanks in adv advance
Posted on 2014-10-18 00:11:28.0
So I have a dog thats old enough to travel to Japan. I want to take her in 8 months. I am not sure if I have any documents of her vaccinations. How long does all the vaccinations and microchipping take? And around how much is the cost?
Posted on 2014-10-20 07:25:37.0
Kilala - first have your dog microchipped. Then have your vet vaccinate your dog for rabies. A second vaccination can be given 31 days after the first vaccination. After the second vaccination, a Blood Titer Test must be administered by your vet. In order to reduce the quarantine period to 12 hours when entering Japan, the date when the blood was drawn for the titer test must be more than 180 days and less than 2 years of the arrival date. This is assuming that your dog does not reside in Iceland, Australia, New Zealand Fiji, Hawaii or Guam.
Posted on 2014-10-20 15:23:29.0
Hi, Thanks for the guide. Our cat is 1 year old and my girlfriend is hoping to take him to Japan around May. He is microchipped and we should have some documentation of his vaccines. The standard ones when you adopt and feline leukemia, etc...Is it too late to start the process or should he be alright?
Posted on 2014-10-31 23:35:50.0
Adam - assuming your girlfriend's cat is entering Japan from the US, the first question is whether her cat has a microchip. Cats must be vaccinated twice after the chip is implanted. If this has been done, then a Blood Titer Test must be done at least 6 months ahead of time to avoid quarantine. The information is in the second group of bullet points on this page:
Posted on 2014-11-03 01:58:44.0
Hi there, can I check if the pet is only transiting in Japan on its way to a third country, does it still need to have the above procedures? The passenger is planning to travel from Singapore to the US via Tokyo. He will be connecting to his next flight in Tokyo on the same day. Thank you for your advice!
Posted on 2014-11-04 17:19:36.0
Hi Marie - as long as your pet is flying in and out of Tokyo on the same airline and the layover is not more than 2 hours, the airline will transfer the pet from plane to plane. If the layover is more than 2 hours, you will need to contact the airline to make sure that they will hold the pet. Otherwise, you will have to claim the pet and enter Japan. This will really complicate things as Japan has very strict import requirements.
Posted on 2014-11-11 03:31:45.0
Hello, I will be traveling with 2 dogs (they will be in excess baggage) via United Airlines from Houston to Tokyo, then a brief 2 1/2 hour layover in Tokyo and Auroa airlines from Tokyo to Yuzhno-Sakhalin Island Russia. My question is do the above requirements apply since we just have a layover in Japan?
Posted on 2014-11-24 13:06:01.0
Amber - if you are changing airlines in Tokyo, you will need to claim your pets and recheck them on Auroa Airlines. The airlines do not interline pets unless they have a code share agreement (and sometimes not even then). This will mean you will need to clear customs and enter Japan and conform to their regulations. You can confirm with United or Auroa, but this is probably the case.
Posted on 2014-11-26 01:23:52.0
Japan does not publish any breed restrictions.
Posted on 2014-11-30 13:38:59.0
hello, we are transiting through Narita with our Shiba Inu, Oliver. We depart Singapore (rabies free) 7 hour flight, and are enroute to USA. Because of tight connection at Narita (less than 3 hours). We are booking flight from NRT to ORD one day later, and let Oliver rest in Pet Royal Inn at airport and depart the next day. Is this considered an "import" or just as a transit stop?
Posted on 2014-12-02 15:01:04.0
Robyn - due to the location of the Pet Royal Inn, it is likely that you must clear customs to access it. You should contact them to confirm: +81(0)120-223-011 +81(0)476-34-6800
Posted on 2014-12-07 02:32:21.0
My dog will be a carry-on from USA to Japan and Back. Even if I get all the documents and shots done for the trip, my dog will still be at the airport for an additional quarantine period of 12 hours or less? Will this be the case when coming back as well?
Posted on 2015-01-15 18:15:49.0
Anna - as long as your pet has conformed to all requirements to enter Japan,veterinary officials will hold your pet for a maximum of 12 hours before releasing it. When you return to the US, there will be no holding period. Assuming your stay in Japan is less than 30 days else you will need another health certificate.
Posted on 2015-01-19 03:55:50.0
Thank you for sumed up so much information! Could you add the date of the last update? Everything is moving so fast will be of great help!
Posted on 2015-01-22 13:16:02.0
Hi Fabien - we verify this information constantly, especially because we respond to so many questions from pet owners.
Posted on 2015-01-26 03:40:03.0
Hi I have a therapy dog I'm needing to bring to Japan in April. He needs to be with me in the cabin. Is this a problem when I am flying domestic in Japan?
Posted on 2015-02-02 03:53:38.0
Hello, we are taking our dog to Guam as a final destination, and looking at the flights some layovers are in Japan. I would like to know the regulations for him, as he is an ESA traveling with us in the cabin. I don't want to get there and them tell me he can't be in the airport. Thanks!
Posted on 2015-02-03 22:27:14.0
Hello Kelsey - your best bet is to contact your airline. If you can find an airline that permits it, there should be no problem flying domestically in Japan.
Posted on 2015-02-05 13:03:55.0
Richelle - are you considering transiting through Narita?
Posted on 2015-02-05 13:05:46.0
Hello, we are traveling with our 2 year old maltese in August to the Philippines, and transiting to Japan. Will she still be quarantined? and what paperwork do we need. I believe the the lay over is 2 1/2 hours.
Posted on 2015-02-14 02:17:10.0
I was asked at the Vet what kind of Blood Titer testing I needed, because depending on what kinds, the cost would be different. She said the one for Rabies only? What kind of Blood Titer test do I need done? Also can I have the Blood Titer Test done now before the next two Rabies Shot? My dogs Rabies shots are up to date. I was hoping to do the Blood Titer test now, and the Rabies Vaccines in June and Sep before my trip in Dec.
Posted on 2015-02-16 18:21:33.0
Liz - you will need a transit permit to transit Japan. We offer one at minimal cost here or you can ask your airlines: You must stay on the same airline in and out of Japan so you do not need to clear customs.
Posted on 2015-02-18 04:06:49.0
Anna - your pet will need a FAVN titer test that will measure the amount of rabies antibodies in your pet's blood. As for your second question, it will depend on whether your pet was microchipped prior to its last booster shots. The process to enter Japan is sequential (step one, step two,,,,) Also, you want to do the titer test within 1-3 months after a rabies vaccination because that will increase the chances of a good result. Take a look at the steps here and let us know if you still have questions:
Posted on 2015-02-18 04:12:55.0
Hello, I wanted to take my dogs from Vietnam to Australia. But since Australia does not accept dogs from Vietnam directly, I was thinking of exporting them to Japan first and then exporting them to Australia from there. Is this possible? Especially since I won't be travelling with them?
Posted on 2015-02-25 07:59:44.0
Billy Jean - You will be able to start the tests in order to import your pets to Australia in Vietnam 6 months ahead of entering Australia. You will also need to prepare them to enter Japan which has pretty strict requirements ( Your pets will be subject to 6 months of quarantine if the requirements to enter Japan are not met and 10 days of quarantine if they are. You will need to arrange for an agent to clear them and check them in to the quarantine center. After that, then you must start the last round of testing in Japan to prepare your dogs to enter Australia. This will take 6 weeks. In short, it will take a lot of cost on your part and very difficult if you cannot be with them.
Posted on 2015-02-27 02:34:07.0
PetTravel Thanks very much for your advice. Are you able to provide any more advice as to which country would be the best to send them to if I cannot be with them in terms of costs... I inquired in Singapore and it worked out to around $10,000 mostly due to boarding costs as they need to stay there for about 6 months. If worst comes to worst, i'll relocate with them, but again i'm still unsure which would be the best place. Do you provide services to assist with this process?
Posted on 2015-02-28 04:40:46.0
Billy Jean Billy Jean - we hear that Australia just changed their policy and the titer test (which has to be done 6 months ahead of time) can be done in the originating country. What this will mean is that, if you can arrange for titer tests for your pets, they will not need to board in an approved country for 6 months; more like 6-8 weeks just prior to travel. You may want to consider Malaysia if you are comfortable with that. There will be 7 days of quarantine at Kuala Lumpur and, as long as you do not go into any rabies areas, you should be able to leave from there. Best to get assistance from a local agent. (We do not have an office in KL). You can find one at if you need one. The entrance requirements for importing a pet to Malaysia are here:
Posted on 2015-03-01 15:11:49.0
I have a Chiwawa with me in the cabin from Ft. Lauerdale to Bbangkok via Narita layover in Narita for 2 hrs and 30 mins with same Delta Air Lines no changing terminal in Narita. Do I need to fill in any forms to get approval to get my dog in just for a transit?
Posted on 2015-03-03 22:43:23.0
Paisit - you will need a transit permit to transit Narita. You can check with your airline to see if they have it or find it here:
Posted on 2015-03-03 23:15:05.0
PetTravel thanksss. Delta said Japan won't allow a dog to transit. So they won't let me bring the dog on board!
Posted on 2015-03-03 23:54:18.0
Paisit Tantakarn Paisit - Japan will allow pets to transit, but maybe not with this class of service. You can check with Lufthansa out of Miami to see if they will allow your pet to fly in the cabin. They have a long layover in Frankfurt, however.
Posted on 2015-03-05 01:28:27.0
PetTravel Thank you very much. You guys have been super helpful and its obvious you put a lot of effort into what you do. Many, many thanks!
Posted on 2015-03-05 03:10:32.0
Hello! I want to take my cat from USA to Canada, then I'll stay in Japan for a couple days with a transit visa, and then I'll go to China... What kind of documentation I need to get for my cat? Thank you.
Posted on 2015-03-06 03:14:47.0
Joyce - to enter Canada, your cat will need proof of rabies vaccination and a health certificate. However, the regulations to enter Japan are far more strict and you will need to review them on this page: It is our understanding that you cannot enter China with a pet on a tourist visa. You may want to arrange an agent to assist you. You can find one at
Posted on 2015-03-07 18:53:53.0
I want to bring my dog back home to Japan. Where should I bring him to undergo blood test in the Philippnes?? I don't see any accredited vets or animal hospital. :( PLEASEE RESPOND
Posted on 2015-03-16 01:42:59.0
i am traveling to canada trough Japan(Tokyo) what documents do i need for my cat. please answer.
Posted on 2015-03-16 15:47:17.0
Kamilla- as long as you are flying and out of Tokyo on the same airline and if your cat is in the cargo hold, your layover should be less than 2 hours and the airlines will transit your cat and it will not need to enter the country. If your cat is in the cabin with you, then you will remain in terminal and not clear customs and enter the country.
Posted on 2015-03-18 04:07:00.0
Anna Marie - your vet can administer the titer test as long as he or she is licensed. The sample must be processed in an approved lab. There is an approved lab in Japan. Animal Quarantine Service, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries 11-1 Haramachi Isogoku Yokohama 235-0008
Posted on 2015-03-18 04:11:47.0
PetTravel the layover in Tokyo is 9 hours and my cat is not in the cabin with me,we are also flying on 7th april .
Posted on 2015-03-18 12:39:58.0
Kamilla Mila You need to contact the airline and inquire as to whether they will hold your cat during the layover. if you have to claim your pet, it will need to pass through customs and will be quarantined unless you meet Japan's requirements.
Posted on 2015-03-22 03:24:56.0
I have two mature dogs - fully vaccinated and up to date and will be relocating to Japan for work. The dogs are due for a rabies booster shot soon. Given their vaccination history, do I still need to do the 2 step Rabies vaccination process for Japan -- meaning an initial Rabies shot ASAP a 31 day wait, a second Rabies shot and then another 180 day wait period? Or will the booster suffice along with the blood work, and the 180 day wait period?
Posted on 2015-03-22 10:58:03.0
Scott - are your pets microchipped? That is important because they need to be vaccinated twice after the microchip is implanted. If they are already chipped, then get them the vaccination and wait 21 days before the titer test. That way, the antibodies will build up in the blood and the result has a better chance to be a good one. If they are not chipped, then get them vaccinated and speak to your vet about when they can be safely re-vaccinated before doing the titer test.
Posted on 2015-03-24 02:49:53.0
Thanks. Yes they are micro-chipped with the ISO 15 digit chip that Japan prefers. I imported then from Australia (I'm in Hong Kong) so their vaccination history is well documented and they've been micro-chipped since puppies. So it sounds like I should simply schedule their 3 year booster NOW, wait at least 21 days, and then do the titer test. Thanks.
Posted on 2015-03-24 12:02:59.0