Pet Passport Brazil
Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to Brazil
Brazil does not quarantine healthy pets from countries with a low incidence of rabies who meet the following requirements:
- Rabies vaccination* not less than 1 month and not more than 12 months prior to travel. Your pet must be accompanied by a valid rabies vaccination certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian and endorsed by the USDA or CFIA if entering from the United States or Canada. If you are entering Brazil from another country, the Governmental Authority responsible for the import and export of animals from your country should endorse your forms.
- Veterinary Certificate for Brazil issued in your pet's originating country within 10 days of entry.
- Each dog or cat must be accompanied by a International Health Certificate issued by licensed veterinarian within ten days prior to boarding and endorsing that your pet is in good health.
- Documentation must have be endorsed at the Brazilian Embassy in your country if your country requires animals originating in Brazil to have an embassy endorsement. This is not the case for pets originating in the United States, Canada, EU most other countries but is the case in Egypt, Kenya, Kuwait, Niger, Panama, Qatar, Syria, Tanzania, Turkey and several other countries.
- Ticks and tapeworm treatment within 15 days of entry.
This completes a passport for your dog or cat to enter Brazil.
When entering countries with a high incidence of rabies, your dog or cat will require an Import Permit issued by the Ministry of Agriculture.
*When entering Brazil directly from a rabies free country, your dog or cat does not require the rabies immunization, although it is recommended.
Brazil does not have quarantine facilities, so be sure your pet conforms to the above requirements or it will be returned to your country of origin.
Unaccompanied pets will be subject to import taxes.
The admittance of species other than dogs and cats, including pet birds, requires prior approval by the Ministry of Agriculture. The traveler must produce an import permit from the Ministry of Agriculture in Brazil.
Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.
Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease
communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to
Brazil If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a
licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.
Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Brazil. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.
If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a
turtle or parrot, you should verify that
it is not protected under the
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna
and Flora (CITIES). You will need to apply for additional permits
if this is the case. Search their database.
Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITIES regulations. Read more about CITIES.
Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.
Pet Microchip: Although Brazil does not require a pet microchip, we strongly recommend that you microchip your cat or dog prior to traveling.
The information published here is a guideline for pet owners importing their pet to Brazil. Further detail on import permits (if applicable), costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at PetTravelStore.com if you need them. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping until 4:00 PM EST.GOT QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS??? You can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, forum or just enter them below. We will respond as soon as we can.