Pet Passport Belize
Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to Belize
Belize does not quarantine healthy pets who meet the following requirements:
- You must file for an Import Permit before traveling to Belize. After your veterinarian has completed the Import Permit Form you will send it to the Agriculture Department of Belize. They will approve the form and fax it back to you. You will pay a fee for this service. Failure to file an Import Permit will result in a fine and may result in your pet being placed in quarantine.
- Belize recommends that dogs be vaccinated against Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis and Parvovirus and cats be vaccinated against Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis Calioi Virus and Panlenoopaenis.
- Pet Dogs and Cats may enter the country accompanied by a Veterinary Certificate for Belize issued by a licensed veterinarian in the country of origin. This certificate needs to be endorsed by the USDA or the CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are traveling from another country, the Governmental Authority in your country responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse your forms.
- A copy of the Rabies Certificate should also be included.
- Shortly before travel, your pet will also need a Ticks and Tapeworm test to enter Belize. This completes your cat or dog passport to Belize.
- Unaccompanied pets traveling as manifest cargo will need a health certificate issued within 10 days of travel. Your airlines may also require a health certificate even if your pet is traveling with you in the cabin or as checked baggage.
This completes a passport for your dog or cat to enter Belize.
Whenever you travel to a foreign country it is always advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of the pet.
Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.
Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease
communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to
Belize. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a
licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.
Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Belize. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.
Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.
Pet Microchip: Although Belize does not require a pet microchip, we strongly recommend that you microchip your cat or dog prior to traveling.
Need equipment for traveling with your pet to Belize? Find it all at PetTravelStore.com.
Need a pet friendly hotel in Belize?GOT QUESTIONS??? Please post to our blog or forum.
GOT COMMENTS??? Please enter them below. Your experiences will provide help for us all!!