Pet Passport Barbados
Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to Barbados
Pets can only enter Barbados from the following countries:
Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Antigua, Jamaica,
St. Kitts, St Lucia, St Vincent.
Requirements to transport your pet to Barbados:
- Import Permit obtained from the Chief Veterinary Officer for all cats, dogs, other warm blooded animals, reptiles and birds.
- Your dog, cat or ferret must have a 15 digit ISO pet microchip and vaccinated for rabies and various other diseases. If your pet's microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you can bring your own microchip scanner.
- An accredited veterinarian must complete a Veterinary Certificate for Barbados for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. A copy of the Rabies Certificate should also be included.
- A ticks and tapeworm test should be completed by your veterinarian just prior to travel.
- Unaccompanied pets traveling as manifest cargo will need a health certificate issued within 10 days of travel. Your airlines may also require a health certificate even if your pet is traveling with you in the cabin or as checked baggage.
This completes a passport for your dog or cat to enter Barbados.
You must make prior arrangements for the Country Veterinarian to meet your pet on arrival for inspection; there is a fee for the inspection. If traveling from another country through any of the countries listed above, your pet must conform to the requirements of the transiting country. Your pet can then travel directly from the the listed country to Barbados.
Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.
Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease
communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to
Barbados. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a
licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.
Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Barbados. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.
If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a
turtle or parrot, you should verify that
it is not protected under the
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna
and Flora (CITIES). You will need to apply for additional permits
if this is the case. Search their database.
Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITIES regulations. Read more about CITIES.
Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.
The information published here is a guideline for pet owners importing their pet to Barbados. Further detail on import permits (if applicable), costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at PetTravelStore.com if you need them. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping until 4:00 PM EST.GOT QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS??? You can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, forum or just enter them below. We will respond as soon as we can.