Tweet Pet Travel Pet Travel Forum Pet Travel Blog Pet Travel on Facebook


Pet Travel Blog

Pet Passport
Have a question or concern? Reach out to others who have taken your journey with their pet for advice. Just gone to a fabulous place with your pet? Let us all know about it.

To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given country may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the need to make arrangements to put the pet into quarantine, return the pet to the country of origin, or destroy the pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.

Home > Pet Passports > United Kingdom

Pet Passport United Kingdom

Flag United Kingdom

European Union (EU) regulations for taking a pet dog, cat or ferret to the United Kingdom (UK) from a rabies free country or a country with a low incidence of rabies*:

If your pet is entering the United Kingdom and they are entering from a rabies free or country with a low incidence of rabies after residing there for at least the preceeding 6 months, they will not be quarantined if they follow these steps in the following order:

  1. ISO 11784/11785 compliant 15 digit pet microchip. If your pet's microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you can bring your own microchip scanner.
  2. Rabies vaccination no sooner than 21 days** prior to entry and not more than the expiration date of the manufacturer of the vaccine.  If your dog, cat or ferret has been vaccinated before it was fitted with a microchip, it will have to be vaccinated again after the microchip is implanted.
  3. For pets entering the United Kingdom from a country with a high incidence of rabies, a Blood Titer Test administered no sooner than one month after rabies vaccination. Samples must be processed at approved laboratories. Assuming test results within acceptable limits, your pet can enter the United Kingdom 90 days after the date the blood was drawn and avoid quarantine. This step is not required unless entering the United Kingdom from a high rabies country.
  4. Within 10 days of travel, an accredited veterinarian must then complete the bi-lingual Annex II for United Kingdom for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are not traveling from either of these countries, endorsement is not required unless your country mandates it.
  5. A copy of the Rabies Certificate and Blood Titer Test results should also be included for endorsement (if applicable).
  6. Before your dog can enter the United Kingdom, it must be treated against certain tapeworms one to five days prior to entering the country unless your pet is entering directly from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway.

This completes a pet passport for your dog, cat or ferret to enter the United Kingdom.

Dog Passport United Kingdom

*Pets entering the UK from northern Cyprus who did not originate in the UK and meet the requirements of the Pet Scheme are subject to the rules for entering from a country with a high incidence of rabies.

**After the first vaccination and waiting period, you can enter the UK whenever you like as long as booster vaccinations are given on time and you continue to meet the other entry requirements.

Restricted Breeds: The following breeds are not permitted to enter the UK: Brazilian Fila, Dogo Argentino, Japanese Tosa Inu or Pit Bull Terrier.

When arriving by air, all pets, with the exception of service animals, must do so by manifest cargo. Approved Border Posts for arrival by air are London Heathrow, London Gatwick, London Manchester (pets accompanied by owners only), Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dublin.

Dogs and cats from the Malaysian Peninsular
A dog or cat from Malaysia (Peninsular) is prohibited from entering the UK unless it is accompanied by a certificate issued by the Malaysian government veterinary health services which confirms:

Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.

Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to the United Kingdom. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.

Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter the United Kingdom. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.

Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.

Need equipment for traveling with your pet? Find it all at

GOT QUESTIONS??? Please post to our blog or forum.
GOT COMMENTS??? Please enter them below. Your experiences will provide help for us all!!

I am a home based cattery in the US and will be returning to UK permanently this summer 2014. I am now retired I an anxious to know how many cats I can bring as it would break my heart to part with any of them.
Posted on 2014-01-27 22:54:26.0
You can bring up to 5 before the transport becomes a commercial transport. Then there are additional requirements. They must all travel as manifest cargo into the UK.
Posted on 2014-01-28 04:43:17.0
I'm looking at purchasing a puppy from Saskatchewan, Canada , to bring to the UK , what procedures have to be done and followed to do this ?
Posted on 2014-01-30 10:18:13.0
Puppies cannot enter the UK until 21 days after they receive their rabies vaccination. Generally, this vaccination is not administered until 3 months of age. The process is: microchip, then vaccinate for rabies (in that order). Within 10 days of entry, a veterinarian will complete the Annex II form for the UK for endorsement by the CFIA. The puppy will also need a tapeworm test within one and five days of travel. Assuming that you are not traveling with the puppy, the UK may consider it a commercial import. You should discuss the consignment with your breeder.
Posted on 2014-01-31 19:43:46.0
I am looking to bring two cats from Langkawi to the UK but not sure if Langkawi comes under a non-malaysian peninsula or the malasian peninsula can someone help?
Posted on 2014-02-04 09:21:17.0
I am visiting UK from Cambodia for 3 months and want to bring my dog with me. Can I get it micro-chipped etc and use the Pet Travel Scheme??
Posted on 2014-02-26 23:23:58.0
Langkawi is right off the coast of the Malaysian Peninsular and I would consider it a part of it.
Posted on 2014-02-27 05:14:07.0
You will need at least 4 months to prepare. Your pet must be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies. No sooner than one month later, your vet will administer a blood titer test for processing at an approved laboratory. Assuming results within acceptable limits, your pet can enter the UK 90 days after the date the blood was drawn without quarantine. You can find additional requirements here:
Posted on 2014-02-27 05:16:25.0
Having a puppy shipped from Belgium to UK. The puppy is 12 weeks and the owner wants to send the puppy via airplane. The puppy has : # AKC Registration # Current vaccinations # Veterinarian examination # 1 Year Health guarantee # Certificate of health How long will it take for the puppy to be allowed in the country?
Posted on 2014-03-08 14:50:34.0
The puppy must be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies, then wait 21 days prior to entering the UK. Because rabies vaccinations are generally administered at 3 months, that would put the age of the puppy just shy of 4 months.
Posted on 2014-03-10 03:47:28.0

How old must a puppy be before it can enter the UK,with all its relevant jabs and passport?
Posted on 2014-03-13 13:04:07.0
My brother went to UK and his dog is here in Pakistan, how can I send his dog to him to UK? Please Help.
Posted on 2014-03-20 02:22:31.0
The rabies jabs are given at 3 months and the wait is 21 days as long as you are entering from another EU country or listed non EU country. You can find listed non-EU countries here:
Posted on 2014-03-20 03:47:24.0
Hi Azeem - there is a process that must be followed to bring a dog to the UK from Pakistan. Because Pakistan is a high rabies country, the dog must be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order). Then wait for 30 days and have your vet administer a Blood Titer Test. Assuming acceptable results, your dog can enter the UK 90 days after the date the blood was drawn. It will need an Annex II form filled out no more than 10 days prior to travel and a tapeworm test within one and five days of travel. You can find a link to complete instructions and all forms required for taking your brother's dog to the UK here: Let us know if you have further questions.
Posted on 2014-03-20 03:50:50.0
hello i live in uk and i got a cat, i would like to know if its possible to fly with my cat from uk to portugal in the cabin and from portugal to uk in the cabin with me, its a very scared cat. pls help
Posted on 2014-03-31 18:24:19.0
Hi Andreia - your kitty can fly to Portugal in the cabin, but must travel as manifest cargo going back to the UK. One option would be to drive and use Euro Shuttle to Calais France. There are also pet friendly ferries to get you across the channel. You can find them here: Let me know if you need more information.
Posted on 2014-04-02 04:54:47.0
i will be bringing a dog into the UK from the US. 2 the 21 day waiting period on the rabies. does the day the vaccination was given & the day you arrive in the UK count as part of the 21 days? Also I'm confused re the EU Annex II form....does the dog need to be examined by a veterinarian accredited by the USDA who completes the form and then the complete form ALSO needs to be brought to the USDA office to be stamped as well?
Posted on 2014-04-30 22:46:03.0
Hello...i need litlle help plss.I want to travel with my dog from Romania in Uk and i didn't know i need put first microchip and i did today the rabic vaccine.I understanded i needed do first the microchip so i will do again the rabic vaccine.What i want to know is what else i need do cuz i really want to have her with me.She is a 3months and one week pomeranian and we just finished do all vaccines(i talked today and i will do next days passport and miicrochip+ internal and external deworming before i go)Please help me and tell me i have chance to take with me.Thank you and a wonderfull day! :)
Posted on 2014-05-01 15:50:55.0
Jean - do not include the day your pet is vaccinated or the day you enter the country in the 21 day wait. As far as the Annex II form, a USDA accredited vet will fill it out and you will send or take it to your State USDA office for endorsement. You should also have an APHIS 7001 form included. You have 10 days to enter the UK from the date the form is endorsed. Between one and five days of entry, your pet needs a tapeworm test.
Posted on 2014-05-02 03:50:45.0
I am moving to Germany with a young puppy. I would like to return to the UK in August for a few weeks. I am concerned that she will not be allowed to return with me as she will not have resided there for the proceeding 6 months - she will have everything else needed to return. Please explain what happens in this case? Thanks
Posted on 2014-05-06 12:16:35.0
Arabella - it totally depends on the age of your puppy. The United Kingdom will not permit unvaccinated puppies to enter the country, so your pet will need to be at least 3 months old and you will need to have him microchipped and vaccinated at least 21 days prior to re-entering the UK together with the other requirements. This would put your puppy's age at nearly 4 months when returning to the UK.
Posted on 2014-05-09 03:09:24.0
Your puppy will also need an EU Pet Passport and a tapeworm treatment given between one and five days of entry to the UK.
Posted on 2014-05-09 03:14:14.0
I have a cat in Bulgaria and I want to bring my cat to the UK. Is anyone experience with it?
Posted on 2014-05-10 12:08:52.0
Utku - you should not have any problems bringing your cat to the UK. It will need a microchip implanted and a rabies vaccine at least 21 days prior to travel. Have your vet update your EU pet passport within 10 days of travel. Your cat will need to travel as manifest cargo into Heathrow, Gatwick or Manchester. Once you have landed, your kitty will be taken to the Animal Reception Center where you will pick it up after it is examined and its papers are processed.
Posted on 2014-05-11 14:54:35.0
Since we will be entering the UK from America with our Lab, will she need a Blood Titer Test from the vet? (According to your Pet Passport Instruction list it says only if entering from Countries with a High Incidence of Rabies). Thank you
Posted on 2014-05-12 19:02:38.0
Sandra - assuming your Lab has resided in the US for at least 6 months, or is less than 6 months and was born there, it will not need a titer test. The EU considers the US a Third Country or rabies-controlled country.
Posted on 2014-05-13 04:07:17.0
we are bringing our Chihuahua back to the UK with us from Dubai in June. She has only been in Dubai since Feb 2014 and had all necessary vaccinations etc to get her here. Does she need to have the titer test for her to travel back with us? Thank you x
Posted on 2014-05-19 18:56:30.0
sorry have just read somewhere that she needs to have resided here for 6 months before she can re-enter the UK. Does this mean she can not travel with us in June as no body has mentioned this before. Thank you
Posted on 2014-05-19 19:14:10.0
Anyone know the rules about bringing a dog from south korea to the UK (northern ireland) ??
Posted on 2014-05-20 01:35:08.0
Hi Ann - Your pet does not have to reside in Dubai for 6 months prior to re-entering the UK assuming your pet resided in the UK prior to leaving and has not entered into a high-rabies country since being out of the UK. Dubai is considered a Third country which means that your Chihuahua will need proof of a microchip and a rabies vaccination given AFTER the microchip was implanted and no sooner than 21 days prior to entering, an Annex II form for the UK completed within 10 days of entry and a tapeworm treatment between one and five days of entry. Not sure if Dubai will have export requirements, but they are usually for residents and not tourists.
Posted on 2014-05-20 03:53:32.0
Hi Aoife - South Korea is considered by the EU to be a high rabies country. This means that the following process will need to be followed: get your pet microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order, but the same vet visit is fine), then wait 30 days (not including the day of the vet visit), then have your vet administer a titer test and send to an approved lab. Assuming acceptable results, your pet can enter the UK no sooner than 90 days after the date the blood was drawn. Your vet will complete the Annex II form within 10 days of travel and your pet will need a tapeworm treatment between one and five days of travel. You can find the details here together with links to step by step instructions and all the forms necessary should you need them:
Posted on 2014-05-20 03:57:54.0
Thank u for ur help :)
Posted on 2014-05-20 05:17:40.0
Hi there, I'm looking to relocate my pug dog from Hong Kong to London. I know that some airlines will not transport pugs, but I have found that Lufthansa will. I believe that pets travelling into the UK from HK do not need to be quarantined. My dog is up to date with his vaccinations (rabies included), has a microchip and is in good health. My main question (read: stress!) is what kind of paperwork my dog would need to be allowed entry, and how can I go about booking a flight for myself and him? The flight will connect in Germany, does pet cargo get transferred just as luggage would? Lufthansa gives all the information, but I'm just not sure how to book. They also say that because he's a snub-nosed breed, he'll need to be shipped in a larger crate than his size would normally require, but I can't seem to find information on the size he would need as a snub-nosed breed (he weighs 10kg, by the way). I know these are a lot of spazzy questions…just so concerned about my precious cargo! Laura x
Posted on 2014-05-21 06:25:29.0
Hi Laura - first of all, your Pug will not need to be quarantined in the UK when entering from Hong Kong as long as it has been vaccinated for rabies AFTER its microchip was implanted and that vaccination is still current. You will need an Annex II form for the UK filled out by your vet within 10 days of travel and your pet will need a tapeworm treatment between one and five days of entry to the UK. You can find details here and step by step instructions and all forms required here if you need them: As for booking a flight, you will contact Lufthansa reservations for yourself and Lufthansa Cargo for your Pug as it will be traveling as manifest cargo. As long as you are staying on Lufthansa, the airline will transfer him from plane to plane. Your layover should be around 2 hours. If it is more, you will need to discuss care with Lufthansa Cargo, but their hub is Frankfurt and they have great facilities there. As for sizing your pet for a crate, look at this page for that information: Once you find the right size carrier, then increase it by one size. Hope this helps.
Posted on 2014-05-22 03:53:34.0
im trying to purchase the passport, by "will the owner be traveling with the pet" does it mean that the pet will be traveling along side with it's owner?(same flight etc), or just means that the owner is also traveling to that country? THANK YOU~!
Posted on 2014-05-23 02:31:17.0
hello..i am very worried about my boy(American Staffordshire Terrier) that i will not be able to travel with him....we must travel from Bucharest to London,but everywhere are so many different info about traveling with pets that i don't know anymore what to it legally to travel with my baby to UK?will he be kept in quarantine...and so on..many questions.Can someone tell me what i must to,considering the breed..
Posted on 2014-05-26 14:05:16.0
Dyana - American Staffordshire Terriers are on the banned breed list for the United Kingdom. The entrance procedure is very controlled. Sorry we cannot be of more assistance.
Posted on 2014-05-26 21:25:28.0
PetTravel thanks anyway..but it's just difficult,not forbidden..i
Posted on 2014-05-26 22:09:19.0
Dyana Gentea You may want to contact an agent and ask that question. and search for a pet transporter.
Posted on 2014-05-30 12:59:01.0
Hi, I am buying an Australian Terrier puppy from a breeder in Sweden. The puppy was born on 10th July 2014. Given all the jabs and things we need to do before she is allowed to travel to the UK, when is the earliest we could bring her? We'd be driving. Our UK vet said October which seems an awfully long time... am I missing something?
Posted on 2014-06-12 13:53:38.0
Jinx - puppies must be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies prior to entering the UK. Generally, puppies are vaccinated for rabies at the age of 3 months. After the vaccination, you need to wait 21 days prior to entering the UK. You will also need an EU pet passport or Annex II form for the UK and a tapeworm treatment between one and five days of entering. Details here:
Posted on 2014-06-13 11:43:59.0
Roxana - you can certainly take your pet with you to the UK from Romania. As long as you have the microchip, then rabies vaccination, get an EU pet passport from your vet and have them enter the details, then a tapeworm treatment between one and five days of entry. Your puppy will need to enter the UK as manifest cargo and cleared through London. Stay on the same airline the entire trip.
Posted on 2014-06-13 11:46:43.0
what is a pet passport where do i apply for it and when I travel with my pet (doberman) will i be able to take her with me in the cabin and instead putting her in the cage and sending to the check in luggage , can i book a ticket for her seat too next to me??? i dont want to keep her in luggage area
Posted on 2014-06-14 18:12:59.0
Archie - we know of no commercial airline that will accept a Doberman Pinscher in the cabin unless it is a small puppy. Your other option would be a private charter, but that is very expensive. The passport for the UK is comprised of the forms and tests required to enter the country. What country are you entering the UK from? It will make a difference in the process.
Posted on 2014-06-16 04:14:36.0
PetTravel I need to enter UK from India as she will be going for the first time abroad. and is it a passport like us what we have for us..
Posted on 2014-06-16 18:33:49.0
Archie - unless you start the preparations 4 months ahead of time, your pet will be subject to quarantine in the UK. This is because the UK considers India to be a high-rabies country. You will need to have your vet microchip your pet, then vaccinate for rabies (in that ofder, but same vet visit is fine.) Wait 30 days (not including the day of the vet visit) and have your vet administer a blood titer test. Assuming acceptable results, your pet can enter the UK 3 calendar months after the date the blood was drawn. If you don't have that amount of time, then your pet will serve the balance of the time in quarantine.
Posted on 2014-06-17 04:00:29.0
Jacob - have your vet microchip your pet with a 15 digit ISO compliant microchip, then vaccinate it for rabies, even if it already has a current rabies vaccination. It must happen AFTER the chip is implanted. Your Pom can enter the UK 21 days after the vaccination. Your pet will need an Annex II form for the UK completed by your vet and endorsed by your State USDA office within 10 days of travel and a tapeworm treatment between one and five days of travel. Details and links to forms and instructions here:
Posted on 2014-06-17 04:04:00.0
Hi all, I am planning to take my dog from Kuala Lumpur to London via Qatar airways. Can you kindly advice me of the correct procedure?
Posted on 2014-06-20 02:34:55.0
Hello Bernard - as Malaysia is considered to be a high-rabies country by the EU, the procedure will be as follows: have your vet microchip your pet, then vaccinate for rabies (in that order but same vet visit is ok). Wait 30 days (not including date of initial vet visit) then have your vet do a Blood Titer Test. Assuming acceptable results, your pet will able to enter the UK without quarantine 90 days after the date the blood was drawn. You will also need an Annex II form for the UK completed within 10 days of travel and a tapeworm treatment between one and five days of entry to the UK. You can find details and links to complete instructions and all forms required here if you need them:
Posted on 2014-06-20 15:13:28.0
i want to take two of my Kittens from Egypt to the UK, would like some advice please :)
Posted on 2014-06-24 09:58:03.0
Hi there - I've been given a last minute assignment for 2-3 months in the UK. I'm coming from the US. I want to bring my wire fox terrier with me, though I need to leave next Thursday, which is very soon. I have an appt w/ a vet tomorrow to get certificates and shots all squared away. The main thing I'm worried about is that can my dog not fly with me until it's past the 21 day mark? He already has updated rabies shots however. If he can't go when I go, how do pets get shipped over on their own? I can pick him up in London, but not sure the procedure for getting him to the airport in New York. Thanks! Any help would be really great.
Posted on 2014-06-24 23:01:10.0
Hi, We shipped our two Toy Poodles from the UK to Egypt a year ago. They had UK pet passports and their vaccinations, including rabies were all up to date. We have maintained their vaccination status. What do we need to take them back to the UK for either a short term visit or permanently, avoiding the need for quarantine in the UK? We also have two cats acquired in Egypt. They have both been fully vaccinated, including rabies, but do not have pet passports. What is the process required to take them back to the UK, avoiding quarantine, as above? Thanks. Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted on 2014-07-10 15:26:35.0
Moira - because the UK considers Egypt to be a high-rabies country, your kittens will be 7 months before they can enter the country. They will need microchips, rabies vaccinations, 30 day wait, titer test, then a 90 day wait before they can enter the country. The UK will not permit unvaccinated puppies or kittens to enter. You can find details here:
Posted on 2014-07-17 02:06:57.0
It depends on whether your pet has been microchipped. The regulations state that your pet must be vaccinated for rabies AFTER the microchip was implanted. Then comes the 21 day wait. You can find details here:
Posted on 2014-07-17 02:08:33.0
Thank you Pet Travel
Posted on 2014-07-17 10:19:16.0